Best router to upgrade to?

Croissant

I'm looking into upgrading the router that we got from the ISP.

I usually get 280-330mbps down, 140-220mbps up, and 4 ping through ethernet. Using wifi, however, gets at most 30mbps up/down and 15 ping. The main devices that use WiFi are 3 Galaxy s9's and 2 fire TV 4k sticks.

Should I spend the money on a 5ghz compatible router? Would it bring any significant gains?

• My PC - Ryzen 3 1200 @ 3.6Ghz // ASRock AB350M Pro4 AM4 // Ripjaws V Series 16GB(2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 // WD Caviar Blue 1TB 7200RPM // Zotac GTX 1050 Ti 4GB //  EVGA 450W 80+

If you're router doesn't even have 5GHz support than a router with support with that would be a pretty big improvement. With that in mind I don't really have a good recommendation.

Current Desktop Build | 2200G | RX 580 4GB | 8GB RAM | CTRL | Logitech G Pro Wireless

Laptop | 2018 MBA 256/16GB | MX Master 

Just now, Croissant said:

Using wifi, however, gets at most 30mbps up/down and 15 ping. The main devices that use WiFi are 3 Galaxy s9's and 2 fire TV 4k sticks.

Should I spend the money on a 5ghz compatible router? Would it bring any significant gains?

You did not say anything about the environment itself. There are a whole fucking shitload of stuff that affects WiFi-speeds, like e.g. how many other WiFi access-points there are nearby, because they all interfere with one-another and therefore everyone within range gets lower speeds. Also, e.g. a microwave-oven and similar devices create interference and any AP should be kept away from those. Similarly, walls lower speeds immediately and 5GHz has trouble passing through even just two walls, though, on the other hand, fewer people still run 5GHz APs, so there'd be less interference from the neighbours and the likes.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

On 6/14/2019 at 9:47 PM, WereCatf said:

You did not say anything about the environment itself. There are a whole fucking shitload of stuff that affects WiFi-speeds, like e.g. how many other WiFi access-points there are nearby, because they all interfere with one-another and therefore everyone within range gets lower speeds. Also, e.g. a microwave-oven and similar devices create interference and any AP should be kept away from those. Similarly, walls lower speeds immediately and 5GHz has trouble passing through even just two walls, though, on the other hand, fewer people still run 5GHz APs, so there'd be less interference from the neighbours and the likes.

There is only one AP I get signal from consistently, but it isn't too close.Most of the devices using WiFi are in the same room as the router, but I use my phone upstairs, which has to pass through one floor.

Also, do  most 5ghz routers offer the use of 2.4ghz at the same time?

• My PC - Ryzen 3 1200 @ 3.6Ghz // ASRock AB350M Pro4 AM4 // Ripjaws V Series 16GB(2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 // WD Caviar Blue 1TB 7200RPM // Zotac GTX 1050 Ti 4GB //  EVGA 450W 80+

1 minute ago, Croissant said:

Also, do  most 5ghz routers offer the use of 2.4ghz at the same time?

Yes, you can use both bands without any issue on the same router at the same time. One additional note: depending on your phone, it may not be smart enough to switch between the two bands automatically, like e.g. my OnePlus 3T isn't. I did buy this app called WifiSwitcher on the Play Store that fixes the issue, though.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

If you're looking to  upgrade your router you might want to think about doing the whole setup even the modem unless it's newer. Depending on the equipment you already have you might not even need an upgrade. I do however recommend Ubuiqiti products, I would suggest the EdgeRouter X and an AP Lite. The router takes a little bit to get set up but once you get them set up everything is controllable from your phone and computer, you can monitor connections and switch devices as needed depending on the usage. And the signal strength and coverage on their access points is phenomenal.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

9 hours ago, WereCatf said:

Yes, you can use both bands without any issue on the same router at the same time. One additional note: depending on your phone, it may not be smart enough to switch between the two bands automatically, like e.g. my OnePlus 3T isn't. I did buy this app called WifiSwitcher on the Play Store that fixes the issue, though.

Thanks for the help.

8 hours ago, SpookyCitrus said:

If you're looking to  upgrade your router you might want to think about doing the whole setup even the modem unless it's newer. Depending on the equipment you already have you might not even need an upgrade. I do however recommend Ubuiqiti products, I would suggest the EdgeRouter X and an AP Lite. The router takes a little bit to get set up but once you get them set up everything is controllable from your phone and computer, you can monitor connections and switch devices as needed depending on the usage. And the signal strength and coverage on their access points is phenomenal.

Thanks for bringing the modem part up, I forgot about it. Our router has a modem built in. If I were to get a modem/router combo, would that work on my TDS Fiber connection? I could use the stock router in bridge mode but that's not exactly ideal.

10 hours ago, Croissant said:

Thanks for the help.

Thanks for bringing the modem part up, I forgot about it. Our router has a modem built in. If I were to get a modem/router combo, would that work on my TDS Fiber connection? I could use the stock router in bridge mode but that's not exactly ideal.

I also have TDS, I can link to what I switched to from the modem/router they gave me but I definitely wouldn't get a modem/router combo.

Router: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00YFJT29C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Modem: https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Gigabit-download-1-4Gbps-Certified/dp/B01M981YYL/ref=sr_1_5?crid=KF55B74YVTPY&keywords=netgear+32x8+docsis+3.0+cable+modem&qid=1560871363&s=gateway&sprefix=netger+32%2Caps%2C184&sr=8-5

Access Point: https://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-UAP-AC-LITE-802-11ac-Gigabit-Dual-Radio/dp/B01DRM6MLI/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=ubiquiti+ap+lite&qid=1560871710&s=gateway&sr=8-3

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

28 minutes ago, Croissant said:

Thanks for the suggestions.

That modem linked wont work. If TDS is Fiber like AT&T and or Verizon then it does not use a standard modem. It uses a media convert such as an ONT. Verizon gives you a stand alone ONT most of the time from what I read, it will either convert the fiber to Coax or Ethernet. AT&T gives a ONT/Router and you are pretty much required to use what they provide. The modem linked above is for DOCSIS Internet which is used by the cable companies. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

22 hours ago, Donut417 said:

That modem linked wont work. If TDS is Fiber like AT&T and or Verizon then it does not use a standard modem. It uses a media convert such as an ONT. Verizon gives you a stand alone ONT most of the time from what I read, it will either convert the fiber to Coax or Ethernet. AT&T gives a ONT/Router and you are pretty much required to use what they provide. The modem linked above is for DOCSIS Internet which is used by the cable companies. 

I do not know where the fiber actually terminates. I have no idea if this is correct, but this is what I assume is happening here: This brown covered wire comes through the wall behind the white box, which is a battery powered UPS installed by TDS. Then it goes into those two cream boxes, I have no idea what those are for. The white cable coming out the bottom is ethernet, plugged into the WAN port on the router. As long as the cable coming out is ethernet, it would just be treated as a standard connection, right?

20190619_145853.jpg

1 hour ago, Croissant said:

do not know where the fiber actually terminates.

Couldnt tell you. TDS uses AT&T's lines in my area and only offers aDSL. I just know how Verizon and AT&T do fiber because I do a lot of reading on DSLreports.com. The fact is they either convert the Fiber to Coax or Ethernet. You have to figure out which. It should be easy, as Coax is a round connector with a signal conductor in the middle. The fact is the modem linked is for use with Cable internet, which TDS does not offer at all. TDS only offers Fiber and xDSL. 

19 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Couldnt tell you. TDS uses AT&T's lines in my area and only offers aDSL. I just know how Verizon and AT&T do fiber because I do a lot of reading on DSLreports.com. The fact is they either convert the Fiber to Coax or Ethernet. You have to figure out which. It should be easy, as Coax is a round connector with a signal conductor in the middle. The fact is the modem linked is for use with Cable internet, which TDS does not offer at all. TDS only offers Fiber and xDSL. 

Alright, I don't know how to figure out what kind of modem I need, so I'm just going to use my old router as a bridge.

4 hours ago, Croissant said:

Alright, I don't know how to figure out what kind of modem I need, so I'm just going to use my old router as a bridge.

If its truly Fiber, then the ONT is your modem. What you have to determine is if that router they gave you is a router or an ONT/Router. The best way is to take the Model number over to Google and see what pops out. But the fact is, Fiber internet is not done just one way, so you kinda have to be willing to do some research. 

On 6/20/2019 at 4:53 PM, Donut417 said:

If its truly Fiber, then the ONT is your modem. What you have to determine is if that router they gave you is a router or an ONT/Router. The best way is to take the Model number over to Google and see what pops out. But the fact is, Fiber internet is not done just one way, so you kinda have to be willing to do some research. 

Our router is a T2200H. I've found it is a VDSL modem. Does this mean all VDSL modems will work with our internet?

1 hour ago, Croissant said:

oes this mean all VDSL modems will work with our internet?

Modem support is ISP dependent. Also while this does have a DSL modem built in, it also have Ethernet WAN meaning it should work with any service. If its connected VIA phone wires then your on some form of DSL. If its connected via Ethernet then about any router will work with your service. As I stated TDS of aDSL, vDSL and Fiber service. So they probably use one product across all of there service tiers. 

On 6/22/2019 at 1:25 PM, Donut417 said:

Modem support is ISP dependent. Also while this does have a DSL modem built in, it also have Ethernet WAN meaning it should work with any service. If its connected VIA phone wires then your on some form of DSL. If its connected via Ethernet then about any router will work with your service. As I stated TDS of aDSL, vDSL and Fiber service. So they probably use one product across all of there service tiers. 

Well we got a router for really cheap, and it does work plugging the ethernet from the wall into the WAN port directly. I didn't know it would work like that. Thanks for all the help!