PC boots but won't connect to monitor/usb devices

egd04042000

Hi,

I've been buiding my very first PC and have run into many problems with the latest being my PC will boot where the fans and the rgb lights on everything will turn on but my PC won't connect to my monitor and it won't connect to my mouse and keyboard via USB ports. To give some background information, this morning, before I had this problem, my PC wouldn't boot at all and I found when taking out my CPU to have a look at it that some pins were bent. So I tried to straighten them out which was fairly successful, but I noticed one of the pins on the very edge of the CPU had broken off. I was disheartened and didn't think my PC would work but I decided to build it all back together just to seem which is where I encountered this issue with the PC booting but not connecting to anything.

Could this be because of the missing pin on my CPU? Could it be because of something else and what would you recommend I do?

Thank you for any help you can give, I appreciate it.

Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 2700X with stock cooler

GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2070

PSU: Cooler Master 600W 80 Plus White

RAM: 16GB G.Skills RGB 3200MHz

Storage: Samsung 500GB/Seagate Barracuda 1TB

You killed a CPU - that's the issue.

Just because the fans spin and the lights turn on doesn't mean it booted.

You can try to place the broken off pin into the CPU socket where it would usually go. If you're lucky it makes contact with the CPU.

Otherwise, you'll need to get a new CPU and the retailer you bought it from probably won't replace it for free.

3 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

You killed a CPU - that's the issue.

Just because the fans spin and the lights turn on doesn't mean it booted.

You can try to place the broken off pin into the CPU socket where it would usually go. If you're lucky it makes contact with the CPU.

Otherwise, you'll need to get a new CPU and the retailer you bought it from probably won't replace it for free.

Damn it, that's what I was scared of, thanks for your help. I don't have the pin unfortunately so I can't even try that, looks like I'm just gonna have to get a new CPU :(

1 minute ago, egd04042000 said:

Damn it, that's what I was scared of, thanks for your help. I don't have the pin unfortunately so I can't even try that, looks like I'm just gonna have to get a new CPU :(

Yup.

If you're able to find a layout of the pins then you could at least find out which one of the pins broke off. If it's just a ground pin, it shouldn't affect anything, but it seems like it wasn't one.

How did you manage to bend the pins in the first place anyway? The pins on AMD CPUs are pretty solid. Did you insert the CPU the wrong direction? The CPU should naturally just fall into the socket without applying any force!

2 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

Yup.

If you're able to find a layout of the pins then you could at least find out which one of the pins broke off. If it's just a ground pin, it shouldn't affect anything, but it seems like it wasn't one.

How did you manage to bend the pins in the first place anyway? The pins on AMD CPUs are pretty solid. Did you insert the CPU the wrong direction? The CPU should naturally just fall into the socket without applying any force!

I've tried looking online to find a layout but I didn't find anything, although I didn't look to deep previously. The stock CPU cooler on the Ryzen 2700x was horrible to install and the preinstalled thermal paste on the cooler is super sticky so when I first tried to put the cooler on I lifted it slightly to rearrange it a bit and it pulled the CPU out with it bending some of the pins. I tried to straighten them and put the PC together and it wouldn't turn on. So I took it apart and when pulling out the cooler the CPU came out with it again bending some of the pins again. It wasn't until the next morning that I realised a pin was broken, so without much hope I straightened the pins again that had bent in the process and I got the problem which I asked you about. 

Sorry for rambling, in short I am an idiot and messed up installing the CPU cooler ?

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, egd04042000 said:

I've tried looking online to find a layout but I didn't find anything, although I didn't look to deep previously. The stock CPU cooler on the Ryzen 2700x was horrible to install and the preinstalled thermal paste on the cooler is super sticky so when I first tried to put the cooler on I lifted it slightly to rearrange it a bit and it pulled the CPU out with it bending some of the pins. I tried to straighten them and put the PC together and it wouldn't turn on. So I took it apart and when pulling out the cooler the CPU came out with it again bending some of the pins again. It wasn't until the next morning that I realised a pin was broken, so without much hope I straightened the pins again that had bent in the process and I got the problem which I asked you about. 

Sorry for rambling, in short I am an idiot and messed up installing the CPU cooler ?

Hide contents

Oh well...
That sucks tbh. I mean try to contact your retailer, maybe they can do something for you. But I wouldn't have too much hope.

The next time you know how to do it correctly I guess and if not you got at least a dead CPU to try it with. ;) 

3 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

Oh well...
That sucks tbh. I mean try to contact your retailer, maybe they can do something for you. But I wouldn't have too much hope.

The next time you know how to do it correctly I guess and if not you got at least a dead CPU to try it with. ;) 

I'll look into it but yeah it's doubtful. That's true, I guess it's an experience a fair amount of new PC master race members experience ?