Computer randomly shuts down during games?

fluxe

Just built a budget gaming PC for my stepdad, but I'm having an issue where it randomly shuts down during games or other GPU intensive tasks (the PC doesn't shut down during CPU stress tests such as Prime95 however).

We've tried:

Getting a new replacement GPU

Underclocking the GPU

Getting a new PSU

Swapping RAM with the RAM in my system

Testing the GPU in my computer (no crashing)

Reinstalling Windows

Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 5 1400

GPU: AMD RX 570 Asus Strix GAMING

Mobo: ASRock AB350 Gaming-ITX/AC

RAM: G.Skill Value Series DDR4 (2x4GB)

SSD: SanDisk SSD Plus 240GB

PSU: Corsair CX 450M

Any ideas of what might be the issue? I'm struggling to think what else might be causing it.

mmh seems like your psu might not be strong enough (i think...) they recommend 450-500w for a rx 570. 

The CX 450M is a 450W power supply though, plus under load the system only draws like 210W. I have a 450W psu on my system with a 1070 and an OC'd i5 so I can't imagine the power draw of a rx 570 and a ryzen 5 1400 would be higher anyway.

5 minutes ago, chen57 said:

mmh seems like your psu might not be strong enough (i think...) they recommend 450-500w for a rx 570. 

The PSU is way more than enough wattage wise, a 1400 and 570 pull like 250 watts max. But the unit could potentially be faulty. Alternatively, 

9 minutes ago, fluxe said:

randomly shuts down during games or other GPU intensive tasks

Could be the graphics card at fault.

But the tests done don't make it sound like that's quite the case

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

im still in the mindset of what they teach us for psu at school lol my teacher always said to choose a psu 50% stronger than what you need (kind of stupid i know)

15 minutes ago, fluxe said:

but I'm having an issue where it randomly shuts down during games or other GPU intensive tasks

Are there any freezes, crashes, BSODs, etc or does the system just switch off like you hit the power switch?

As a sanity check I would start looking at things like making sure the motherboard stand offs are installed, the front panel connectors are properly inserted, all power connectors are fully inserted, etc.

PSU wattage isn't an issue, and if it has been tested with a separate PSU then that should rule out a faulty unit.

Just now, chen57 said:

im still in the mindset of what they teach us for psu at school lol my teacher always said to choose a psu 50% stronger than what you need (kind of stupid i know)

Might have been true 15 years ago when PSUs were shit and lied on the label, but not an issue these days with any halfway decent units.
The CX450M (or any decent 450w PSU) will have absolutely no issues powering a system with a Ryzen 5 1400 + RX 570. As mentioned above the total system power consumption will be around 250w max, which even factoring in your [incorrect] idea about needing 50% more power than what you actually need would still be more than enough.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

5 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Are there any freezes, crashes, BSODs, etc or does the system just switch off like you hit the power switch?

Literally just shuts down like if you hit the power switch. I guess a full reassembly is probably a good sanity check yeah, I'll try running it outside of the case to see if I still have issues.

7 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Might have been true 15 years ago when PSUs were shit and lied on the label

exactly ! Sometimes they teach us outdated stuff XD

Ok so this is bizarre. Putting his GPU into my computer it all works fine, but also if I put my 1070 into his computer it also all works fine. I'm kinda at a loss rn. Disassembling it didn't fix anything either.

2 hours ago, ACEHACK said:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/sysinternals-suite

download it run the notmyfault64.exe - it will force BSOD your system so save your files first

usage: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/notmyfault

your dump file should be here c:\windows\minidump

Do you want me to just paste the whole thing?

3 hours ago, ACEHACK said:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/sysinternals-suite

download it run the notmyfault64.exe - it will force BSOD your system so save your files first

usage: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/notmyfault

your dump file should be here c:\windows\minidump

Here it is, just did a small dump but I can run a full kernel dump if you want.

061419-8546-01.dmp

yeah run a full kernel dump i don't see any issues in this one

also, you say it shuts off. check the CPU mounting pressure, and reset your bios( default setting). do this after the dump. then run a stress test if you crashed to get the crash dump files too if not run the software again and upload both here

15 hours ago, ACEHACK said:

yeah run a full kernel dump i don't see any issues in this one

It's just uploading now, it's gonna take a while though.

check the CPU mounting pressure

Surely that's not an issue since the computer doesn't crash during CPU stress tests?

and reset your bios( default setting)

Did this both in the BIOS and by straight clearing the CMOS but no change ?

then run a stress test if you crashed to get the crash dump files too if not run the software again and upload both here

Not sure I understand what you mean. Do you mean upload the files generated after it crashes in a game because it doesn't generate anything (since it just shuts off rather than blue-screening)

Ok I solved it, this is fucking weird. Turns out the card only crashes on the HDMI port. My monitor is connected over DisplayPort so I never saw anything in my machine, however just now booting up VR it crashes the headset and nothing else. Looks like we just got another faulty card :/