An Overview of Practical Headphones

I think even if it was sticky'd we still get lots of threads asking which headphone. It's just one of those products that people want to be explicitly told to buy headphone X because even though it was the one they chose from the FAQ or sticky or even from other sites, direct human confirmation is much more reassuring.  Starting a thread also provides avenue for people to point out a possible issue with your choice where as with a sticky or faq no one knows you are thinking about buying headphone X instead of Y.

Yeah that's true, I wonder how many people consult the FAQ, so I see your point.

#!

Yeah that's true, I wonder how many people consult the FAQ, so I see your point.

If you want hard numbers on how many consult the FAQ, just go count how many treads there are that are about topics covered in the FAQ, and you will get how many people didn't read or eve look at the FAQ. Which by my last count, all of them. 

fignerpointing.jpg

I changed it to "bass biased" to remove the confusion.  In order of exaggerated bass it's DT990/COPs > ATH-M50 > HD558 and HD650 > AKG K240 >>>> AKG K701

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."

• 2 months later...

skirts are for girls

great thread for beginners and audiophiles.

i have a question for u. what is the difference between the Beyerdynamics DT990 Premium (600 Ohms, 250 Ohms) and DT990 Pro 250 Ohms?

i have a huge taste for all round sound. i prefer bass and clarity. i would love to get one of these. infact im just in middle of deciding which one should i get between these or Sennheiser HD 650s. i want the headphones to last for at least 2-3 years.

advise will be appreciated.

thanks

Current Rig: Intel core i7 4770K Stock 4.5G, Asus Maximus VI Hero, Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz 16Gb (8Gx2), 2x SLi Gigabyte Geforce GTX 670 2Gb GDDR5 3X Windforce Edition, Corsair Hydro Series H100i (Push), JDS LABS O2/ODAC combo, Fiio E18 KUNLUN, Asus Xonar Essence STX (secondary PC), Sennheiser HD700, Hifiman HE 400i, Beyerdynamics DT 990 PRO 250 Ohm, Sennheiser HD 518, Cooler Master Silent Pro M2 850W 80+, Cooler Master CM 690 II Advanced, Samsun4g DVD R/W Combo, 3X Cooler Master 120mm Blue LED fans, LG IPS 23EA73, Logitech G710 BLUE, BlackWidow Ultimate 2013 Edition,Logitech G402 HYPERION FURY, Bloody Core V7, SteelSeries QcK Mass MiBR mouse pad

great thread for beginners and audiophiles.

i have a question for u. what is the difference between the Beyerdynamics DT990 Premium (600 Ohms, 250 Ohms) and DT990 Pro 250 Ohms?

i have a huge taste for all round sound. i prefer bass and clarity. i would love to get one of these. infact im just in middle of deciding which one should i get between these or Sennheiser HD 650s. i want the headphones to last for at least 2-3 years.

advise will be appreciated.

thanks

Premiums - Nicer finish, straight cable

Pros - Curly cable

bout it except the obvious lack of impedance choices, but all of the models sound nearly the same.  The 250 Ohm model is fine.

Get the Beyers.  They're much cheaper, especially the Pros.

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."

Premiums - Nicer finish, straight cable

Pros - Curly cable

bout it except the obvious lack of impedance choices, but all of the models sound nearly the same.  The 250 Ohm model is fine.

Get the Beyers.  They're much cheaper, especially the Pros.

Don't forget the higher clamping force on the pros.

Now I'm tempted to get the K701 ;)

but dat lack of bass doe

K612 is a smarter decision imo, K702 if you want a removable cable.

Where would you put the Custom One Pro? I've heard it's pretty similar to the ATH-M50 but more for people who like electronic music, is it right? Would you suggest the Custom One Pro?

but dat lack of bass doe

K612 is a smarter decision imo, K702 if you want a removable cable.

How open is the K612 and how's the bass on it compared to V3s or DT990? I need very open headphones since I have a habit of yelling on accident in games.