Dual-forward and ACRF PSUs still good?

KEIN NEIN

AFAIK dual-forward PSUs may have coil-whine issues when paired with high-end hardware.

and ACRF PSUS don't like transients a lot.

So are they worth considering for any gaming-workstation PC? Or should you opt for half-bridge/full-bridge + LLC instead.

@Stefan Payne is this guy speaking the lost language?

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

1 hour ago, KEIN NEIN said:

AFAIK dual-forward PSUs may have coil-whine issues when paired with high-end hardware.

and ACRF PSUS don't like transients a lot.

So are they worth considering for any gaming-workstation PC? Or should you opt for half-bridge/full-bridge + LLC instead.

In this day and age, they're not worth considering.

Also, the noise associated with dual forward is not coil whine.  Any PSU, DF or LLC can have coil whine.  The noise associated with DF topology is transformer noise from the hard switching characteristics of DF.

If anyone is smart enough to ask "what kind of PSU should I get", the right answer should always be one with an LLC resonant controller.

8 hours ago, KEIN NEIN said:

Depends on the Budget and price of the PSU.

For 50€ and less -> maybe.

For 100€ -> absolutel not.

Also depends what you are doing with your PC and what Component its using...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

14 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

If Cooler Master can sell an 80 PLUS White, 230V Only, entry level, fixed cable PSU with LLC and D2D, I think it's safe to say DF is dead.  ;)

On 6/14/2019 at 7:42 PM, Stefan Payne said:

Depends on the Budget and price of the PSU.

For 100€ -> absolutel not.

Also depends what you are doing with your PC and what Component its using...

I am assuming you find a good deal on a double-forward/ACRF PSU, and initially I was refering to PSUs for gaming/WS pcs as you can see below.

On 6/14/2019 at 11:14 AM, KEIN NEIN said:

So are they worth considering for any gaming-workstation PC? 

But you made me formulate my question, are they worth considering overall? even if you are planning on builing a basic computer?

8 hours ago, KEIN NEIN said:

I am assuming you find a good deal on a double-forward/ACRF PSU, and initially I was refering to PSUs for gaming/WS pcs as you can see below.

But you made me formulate my question, are they worth considering overall? even if you are planning on builing a basic computer?

It depends on the System and Wattage.

For 400 and 500W, ACRF is fine. Wich means mid range Gaming PC for example Ryzen 5/7 with an RX5x0.

Navi is unknown at this point. On the nV side I'd say 150W, maybe 200W tops.

If you want higher end and OC, you might want to look at LLC-Resonant mode.

Or rather:
Pure Power 11/400W is just 50€.

IF you need a VEGA, a Bitfenix Formula or Whisper M or be quiet Straight Power is recomended (650w Bitfenix, 750W be quiet due to Connection and so on)

On 6/15/2019 at 4:55 PM, jonnyGURU said:

If Cooler Master can sell an 80 PLUS White, 230V Only, entry level, fixed cable PSU with LLC and D2D, I think it's safe to say DF is dead.  ;)

Listan was first with dirt cheap, 230VAC Only, entry level fixed cable PSU with LLC and D2D ;)

https://geizhals.de/?cat=gehps&asd=on&asuch=Performance X#gh_filterbox

OK; just dirt cheap for an 80plus Goldish PSU, but still battles with Pure Power and your CX on the Price but with slightly higher efficiency - and lower fan RPM (my 750W goes down to 350rpm - WITHOUT bearing noise).

7 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

Listan was first with dirt cheap, 230VAC Only, entry level fixed cable PSU with LLC and D2D ;)

https://geizhals.de/?cat=gehps&asd=on&asuch=Performance X#gh_filterbox

OK; just dirt cheap for an 80plus Goldish PSU, but still battles with Pure Power and your CX on the Price but with slightly higher efficiency - and lower fan RPM (my 750W goes down to 350rpm - WITHOUT bearing noise).

Missed my point AND went off topic. Gee... That never happens.  And don't call Corsair PSUs "my" PSUs.  That's borderline trolling.

My point was:  Once DF was used over LLC when efficiency didn't matter because DF has been cheaper for the last 10 years.  Then people went to LLC because it was easier to get higher efficiency.  That made LLC parts cheaper.  Now you can build anything with LLC for the same price as DF.  You can even build one that's "just" 80 PLUS, "just" 230V, and comes in at a price point below ANY Bronze PSU using LLC.  So why use DF?  Given the choice... why?

14 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

It depends on the System and Wattage.

For 400 and 500W, ACRF is fine. Wich means mid range Gaming PC for example Ryzen 5/7 with an RX5x0.

Navi is unknown at this point. On the nV side I'd say 150W, maybe 200W tops.

If you want higher end and OC, you might want to look at LLC-Resonant mode.

Or rather:
Pure Power 11/400W is just 50€.

IF you need a VEGA, a Bitfenix Formula or Whisper M or be quiet Straight Power is recomended (650w Bitfenix, 750W be quiet due to Connection and so on)

so ACRF isn't suited for systems that draw more than 500W, bc of transient response I suppose

and DF is out of the question due to lower efficiency

1 hour ago, KEIN NEIN said:

and DF is out of the question due to lower efficiency

Lower efficiency and the hard switching doesn't like the high transient loads of higher end graphics cards.

Of course, I already said that.  But if you want to ignore me, that's cool.