BSOD (perhaps a corrupted SSD) - Please help

ZeXyMaNcH0cLaTe
Go to solution Solved by SpookyCitrus,

@ZeXyMaNcH0cLaTe Do as @NinJake suggested for your boot drive but you can also use the the delete option on all the drives you want to format and reset. When I wipe a computer I just do the delete option to all the drives and partitions then select the drive you want windows to be on and just set that one up by clicking new and then next once that completes, the other drives you setup in disk management once you get into windows.

Built a new computer as a fun project for the first time, very new to doing all this stuff. Had windows 10 home 64 bit running fine on it, installed on an m.2 SSD. checked for windows updates and made sure everything was updated. Then messed around with drive partitions, made sure my hard drives were "acive" and made sure all the drives had allocated space, my HDD was not allowing me to create new simple volume for a portion of the drive, the 3TB hard disk drive had 2TB of allocated space and about 800 Gbs unallocated space, it showed that the "create new simple volume", "extend volume", "shrink volume" buttons were greyed out, I then extended the "system recovery portion" volume to the 2Tb of the hard disk drive that would allow me to create new simple volume on it, and the drive still wouldnt allow me to create new simple volume on the 800Gb portion. So i just left it alone after that to figure out later.  Then I downloaded drivers for my MOBO and Radeon graphics card, and the computer prompted a restart, so I restarted it. When restarting, the computer said "Windows couldn’t find an operating system, try disconnecting any drives that dont contain an operating system". I believe whatever i did to my hard drives caused this either the Radeon software may have done it. I dont know why, but i never tried unplugging any drives that did not contain an OS. So, what i did is I plugged my windows 10 installation media back in (a USB flash drive i had bought from best buy, Windows 10 Home). When I booted the PC up I force booted the flash drive that contained the installation media via the UEFI BIOS settings. Then upon installation I clicked repair my computer>troubleshoot> then attempted a start up repair and the pc said it could not be done. I then went to re-install windows to the hard drive that i had already downloaded a copy of Windows 10 OS to. The PC said “which drive would you like to install windows on?” I clicked the drive that already had windows, then I clicked format to erase it and re-install windows, and formatted my other hard drive too to attempt to fix the other problem i was having with the HDD. It then said, “windows cannot be installed on this drive, it is in MPR format, EFI systems need windows to install on a GPT format drive.” for BOTH of my hard drives. Before restarting my PC, disk management was showing that the drives were in NTFS format, and my system is suppose to be a UEFI system. So, I then opened command prompt and used diskpart to change the format of the drive to GPT. Then exit diskpart, and exit command prompt. The drive still said it was in MPR format, so I reset the computer using the reset button. When it started up I opened the BIOS, it showed that the installation media had two partitions, [UEFI-(name of drive) partition 1 ]and the other just said the name of the drive. I clicked the force boot uefi partition 1 option and then upon boot it gave me the BSOD saying “your pc needs to be repaired” i turned it off and back on and it just went to the BSOD again not allowing enough time for me to open the BIOS settings. I'm pretty sure i did something wrong when partitioning my hard drives and corrupted my SSD, and may have caused issues to my Motherboard,  PLEASE HELP

Specs: 

MOBO: ASUS ROG X470-F Gaming

Processor: Ryzen 7 2700X 

Graphics: RX Vega 56 by Gigabyte. Wind force dual fan. 

M.2 SSD: Samsung 970 + EVO 500Gb (this is the drive that i originally downloaded windows and it was working fine for the first clean windows install)

HDD: barracuda 3TB 7200 RPM

RAM: G.Skill tridentZ 3000mz 16gb kit (2 8gb)

PSU: Corsair RM 750w

(Pics taken before BSOD)

thumbnail?appId=YMailNorrin&downloadWhenThumbnailFails=true&pid=2

thumbnail?appId=YMailNorrin&downloadWhenThumbnailFails=true&pid=3thumbnail?appId=YMailNorrin&downloadWhenThumbnailFails=true&pid=5thumbnail?appId=YMailNorrin&downloadWhenThumbnailFails=true&pid=6

@NinJake What format does my SSD need to be in? and would i do this in cmd? should i create new installation media instead of my best buy bought windows USB?

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO

You can download a fresh version of the latest Windows 10 release here.

If you don't mind losing data, the simplest way and my recommendation would be to grab that USB media creation tool from the link above first. Then plug it into your pc and let it run it's course until it brings you to a screen asking where you'd like to install windows. There's an "express install" and a "custom install", you'll want to use the custom install to pick and choose what drive you want to install windows on, as well as give you the option to delete each partition that's currently out there.

If you want to ensure you install windows on the correct drive you can unplug all other drives during this process.

As for the "format of your ssd" and if you can do it in cmd, you can... but this installation tool will take care of all of that for you.

8 minutes ago, ZeXyMaNcH0cLaTe said:

@NinJake What format does my SSD need to be in? and would i do this in cmd? should i create new installation media instead of my best buy bought windows USB?

You can still use the Best Buy bought Windows 10 USB or create a new one with the Windows Media Creation Tool however the new one will be Windows 10 1903, you can actually format the drives in the Windows 10 installer to make it less of a hassle. Boot into the installer choose custom install/install windows only, click on each partition and drive and click delete. Once all of the partitions and drives have been deleted and it shows just the empty drives click on your m.2 drive, click new and let it install windows on that drive. Once you get into windows open disk management and it should show your other HDD, which you then can go through with setting that drive up in NTFS and assigning it as a storage drive or what ever you want. After you get that done go through with your driver updates and any windows updates needed.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

6 minutes ago, SpookyCitrus said:

You can still use the Best Buy bought Windows 10 USB or create a new one with the Windows Media Creation Tool however the new one will be Windows 10 1903, you can actually format the drives in the Windows 10 installer to make it less of a hassle. Boot into the installer choose custom install/install windows only, click on each partition and drive and click delete. Once all of the partitions and drives have been deleted and it shows just the empty drives click on your m.2 drive, click new and let it install windows on that drive. Once you get into windows open disk management and it should show your other HDD, which you then can go through with setting that drive up in NTFS and assigning it as a storage drive or what ever you want. After you get that done go through with your driver updates and any windows updates needed.

Thanks so much, I will attempt this when i get home from work

@SpookyCitrus  in BIOS settings should i make sure my boot priority is set to the installation media? @NinJake are there any BIOS settings i should make sure are set specifically or run "optimized defaults?"

8 minutes ago, ZeXyMaNcH0cLaTe said:

@SpookyCitrus  in BIOS settings should i make sure my boot priority is set to the installation media? @NinJake are there any BIOS settings i should make sure are set specifically or run "optimized defaults?"

I would just set your bios to factory default for now, and you can set USB as priority boot over your drives if you want or you can boot override as you only need to boot from USB this one time.

2 minutes ago, NinJake said:

I would just set your bios to factory default for now, and you can set USB as priority boot over your drives if you want or you can boot override as you only need to boot from USB this one time.

perfect, sounds easy enough, I get home from work at 8PM EST, and will try this and let you guys know how it goes. thank you so much i really appreciate it!!!

10 minutes ago, ZeXyMaNcH0cLaTe said:

perfect, sounds easy enough, I get home from work at 8PM EST, and will try this and let you guys know how it goes. thank you so much i really appreciate it!!!

Sounds good, I seldomly lurk the forum over the weekend but I may pop in and see how it goes. Best of luck!

1 hour ago, NinJake said:

Yes I agree, you can do this or also just hit the boot menu key when starting up, where you would normally press delete to get into bios just press F12 and it will pop up with a boot menu and you can select the drive you want to boot into.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

23 minutes ago, SpookyCitrus said:

Yes I agree, you can do this or also just hit the boot menu key when starting up, where you would normally press delete to get into bios just press F12 and it will pop up with a boot menu and you can select the drive you want to boot into.

so just grab new windows installation media, boot from it let it do its thing, and when i get to the part where it says which hard drive, select my partitions, then click "delete"? or "format"? @SpookyCitrus

42 minutes ago, ZeXyMaNcH0cLaTe said:

so just grab new windows installation media, boot from it let it do its thing, and when i get to the part where it says which hard drive, select my partitions, then click "delete"? or "format"? @SpookyCitrus

If you unplug everything but your destined OS drive, once you get to the part to select the partitions, you'll notice 2,3, or 4 partitions (maybe more?). Select each of them and choose delete until they are all 1, then select that and click "new" and it will automatically make your partitions and have the proper one selected to install the OS on. (Your new 'C:\' drive)

image.png.80b6e7f012fbd921b2a8952b15c3644b.png

Should look something like this at the end, but those 39.4GB will likely be much more depending on the size of your drive.

@ZeXyMaNcH0cLaTe Do as @NinJake suggested for your boot drive but you can also use the the delete option on all the drives you want to format and reset. When I wipe a computer I just do the delete option to all the drives and partitions then select the drive you want windows to be on and just set that one up by clicking new and then next once that completes, the other drives you setup in disk management once you get into windows.

15 minutes ago, SpookyCitrus said:

Alrighty, awesome! I have only tried the format option so that could be my issue, thanks again guys!

hey guys, everything is all updated and so far so good got all my drivers updated for my hardware and now im just still encountering this problem with my 3Tb HDD: the buttons: "new simple volume", "new spanned volume", "new stripped volume", are all grayed out when i right click this unallocated  space. when i right click the active partition, the "extend volume" button is grayed out. how would i fix this?

image.png.18340e76e9c5db72b53f73694813eaef.pngimage.png.0348489bf2fab3eef3a16d9d3eaf0bd5.pngimage.png.7ac3ad14b50669c8caa204a5bef44acd.png

@ZeXyMaNcH0cLaTe If you want anyone to see your new posts you either have to tag them as I just tagged you, or you have to quote that person for them to be notified.

As for "Disk 1", do you have data on that drive already or could you reformat/delete both partitions?

@NinJake i have actually found the solution to this problem, i needed to get the minitool partition wizard so i could convert the drive to GPT, then i was able to create new simple volume on my un-allocated partition.