Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
WikiForce

What's up with desktop.ini files in all my recovered data's main folders?

Posted · Original PosterOP

So yesterday i fucked up in Test Disk trying to convert my dynamic disk to basic and tried experimenting with delete option (due to my stupid obsessions) and it unallocated my whole drive upon restart. But luckily i was able to recover all of my data as drive was unallocated and wasn't formatted (i have noticed in the past that even quick formats has a single wipe on drive which causes files to lose their path so i avoided it). After recovering all of my data through Minitool Partition Wizard i have noticed a weird thing in all of my 11 main folders on the drive, all of them have a desktop.ini file. So my question is, is it safe to delete them all or i better keep them hidden incase they are needed for something?

The most underrated user and unsung hero of LTT Forum.

Casual Gamer and part time Youtuber.

Day Dreamer but lazy and lethargic when it comes to goals.

Always procrastinating. Avoiding challenges and getting out of comfort zone.

those are folder metadata files generated by the system. they're usually hidden by default.

you can delete them. (unless they're of suspicious sizes (larger than a few MBs for seriously crowded folders), in which you might want to check the entire folder if you're missing any files))

windows will regenerate them properly and reset them to the next logical layout (thumbnails for media, lists for documents, etc)

Posted · Original PosterOP
5 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

those are folder metadata files generated by the system. they're usually hidden by default.

you can delete them. (unless they're of suspicious sizes (larger than a few MBs for seriously crowded folders), in which you might want to check the entire folder if you're missing any files))

windows will regenerate them properly and reset them to the next logical layout (thumbnails for media, lists for documents, etc)

i don't think i am missing any file, i made sure i recover everything possible that i lost and luckily i was able recover 99.99% of my data, can say just few minor files here and there. Those all desktop.ini btw are only few hundreds bytes.

The most underrated user and unsung hero of LTT Forum.

Casual Gamer and part time Youtuber.

Day Dreamer but lazy and lethargic when it comes to goals.

Always procrastinating. Avoiding challenges and getting out of comfort zone.