Rx 470 no display, fans spin.

drkknghtavngr

Just bought a used 1155 board and the Rx 470 is not displaying in it. My mobo defaults to Igpu every time. Its not even being detected in windows. I know my rx 470 works as ive been using it last week on my prev mobo (h110m) amd I also tried using pcie mining risers and it works but i dont want risers, i want it working as intended.

Ive also tried a different GPU(gtx 970) on my current mobo and that works no problem....

Whats is going on? This is making my head ache...

I bought an rx470 that turned off (no video but 100% fan speen) within 3 seconds of full load. Turned out the thermal paste had hardened, and then possibly cracked. Removed the old paste and the card was fully functional again.

Update the BIOS on the 1150 board?

Main rig: i7 8086K // EVGA Z370 Micro // 16GB Gskill TridentZ 3200Mhz CL14 // Sapphire Pulse RX 7800XT// a variety of noctua cooling // Corsair RM750x v2 //  Fractal Meshify C

Secondary rig: R5 3600 // MSI B450i Gaming Plus // 16GB Gskill FlareX 3200CL14 // MSI GTX 1080ti Gaming X // Cooler Master V650 // Fractal Meshify C

Audio setup: Audient iD4 // Adam A7X // Sennheiser HD 650 // Sennheiser HD 25-II // Audio Technica M50x // Sennheiser Momentum 4

27 minutes ago, drkknghtavngr said:

Just bought a used 1155 board and the Rx 470 is not displaying in it. My mobo defaults to Igpu every time. Its not even being detected in windows. I know my rx 470 works as ive been using it last week on my prev mobo (h110m) amd I also tried using pcie mining risers and it works but i dont want risers, i want it working as intended.

Ive also tried a different GPU(gtx 970) on my current mobo and that works no problem....

Update the BIOS. I had the same problem with my RX480 and my LGA1155 mobo. A BIOS update should do the trick. Id that doesn't work then you might have to update the GPU BIOS

1 hour ago, Mr_Argon said:

Update the BIOS. I had the same problem with my RX480 and my LGA1155 mobo. A BIOS update should do the trick. Id that doesn't work then you might have to update the GPU BIOS

Gonna try that later.

Btw i didnt reinstall windows, do you think it has got something to do wid it?

57 minutes ago, drkknghtavngr said:

Gonna try that later.

Btw i didnt reinstall windows, do you think it has got something to do wid it?

I'm not sure about Windows, but that probably isn't the issue. If I were you I'd check what version of the BIOS is, and if its not the latest one, update it. If that doesn't work, then reinstall Windows, if that doesn't work then flash your GPU BIOS

1 hour ago, Mr_Argon said:

I'm not sure about Windows, but that probably isn't the issue. If I were you I'd check what version of the BIOS is, and if its not the latest one, update it. If that doesn't work, then reinstall Windows, if that doesn't work then flash your GPU BIOS

Update time!!!

Ive installed the latest beta BIOS but still not working. Also, before all that, I mentioned in my post that the only way to get it to work is using the mining rised adapters and ever since that even the GTX 970 doesnt work ? i mightve f***ed something... ill reinstall windows windows, been working on this whole day now...

2 hours ago, Mr_Argon said:

Second update:

Both cards are magically working fine on the lower pcie slot and both still not working on the first.

10 hours ago, drkknghtavngr said:

Second update:

Both cards are magically working fine on the lower pcie slot and both still not working on the first.

That could be a dead slot. Try and look to see if there is anything damaged in there

16 hours ago, drkknghtavngr said:

Update your PCIe from intel driver. If you have Windows 10, you can open Device Manager and update the driver. I don't know which one it is specifically so you'll have to download Driver Easy to locate it for you. But it should read Management Interface Engine and PCI x16 controller (don't quote me on this.) Again, just do it through Driver Easy, it'll pull up the necessary updates for you.

After doing this, go into your BIOS and in Advance Settings, there should be an option for you to primary use the PCIe and select it as primary with the GPU as it's first choice. If your running the display port with HDMI, change it to DVI. HDMI doesn't like running without the proper drivers.

6 hours ago, Mr_Argon said:

That could be a dead slot. Try and look to see if there is anything damaged in there

it still works fine if use a pcie 1x to 16 riser on the first slot and i can even game on it.

5 hours ago, drkknghtavngr said:

it still works fine if use a pcie 1x to 16 riser on the first slot and i can even game on it.

If all your drivers and BIOS are up to date, and the slot isn't damaged then I'm not sure how to help sorry

2 hours ago, Mr_Argon said:

If all your drivers and BIOS are up to date, and the slot isn't damaged then I'm not sure how to help sorry

Ill just return it.... this is so confusing

6 hours ago, drkknghtavngr said:

Ill just return it.... this is so confusing

Update your PCIe driver, enable PCIe primary in BIOS. If you don't know how to update your PCIe driver, just download Driver Easy. Your chipset also needs to be updated.

4 hours ago, c00face said:

What about you do what I ask you to do?

Update your PCIe driver, enable PCIe primary in BIOS. If you don't know how to update your PCIe driver, just download Driver Easy. Your chipset also needs to be updated.

I did that too, sadly still not working

Good thing tho is I think know the problem now, remember I said the Gtx is also not working in the 1st pcie slot right? Well I got to work by not putting the card fully in the slot so my guess is the pcie is faulty. 

Ill return it tomorrow and get a refund.

Just now, drkknghtavngr said:

I did that too, sadly still not working

Good thing tho is I think know the problem now, remember I said the Gtx 970 is also not working in the 1st pcie slot right? Well I read on another forum got it to work by not putting the card fully in the slot and it worked but Ill return it tomorrow and get a refund.

• 10 months later...

Sorry for rising front the dead. Maybe this will help someone having the same issue. I've had same issue with my Rx 460 and z77 chipset and it's not the PCIe slot bad. It's just conflicting graphics on older mobos in windows.

My solution was:

Boot with the iGPU into windows, restart it in safe mode (click restart while holding shift)  and don't boot in windows yet, go to bios, set on PCIe primary graphics, save, turn off, connect monitor to dedicated graphics, boot into windows safe mode (withOUT networking, very important!!), go to device manager, and disable(DON'T UNINSTALL, again very important) the Intel HD graphics, reboot, you're done. Worked for me 100%