Need help with choosing between 1080p or 1440p monitor

kitnoman

I really don't know much about monitors and how it would react. I have a 1060 6gb right now and I'm thinking of getting the amd navi 5700 or the rumored 2060 "super" 8gb. However I would like to let the navi driver manure a bit so I'll probably buy around Nov-dec. But I'm dying to get a new 144hz-165hz monitor now. As I only have 1060 right now and would have to wait a few months before upgrading, how would the 1060 fair when I used 1440p resolution and monitor? how much frame rates will I get on games like, Apex legend, RE2, FFXV, FFXII, Tekken 7, middle earth: shadow of war, Dota 2, as these are some of the games I'm currently or repeatedly playing. And lastly, what would happen if I bought a 1440p monitor and use 1080p resolution while I'm using my 1060? Thanks in advance.

The 1060 was mainly made as a 1080p gaming card. But you can play lighter titles (Dota 2 and the likes) at 1440p just not at 144hz. Sure, you CAN run games at 1080p on the 1440p monitor but it'll look super grainy. Not recommended.

Please mention or quote me if you want a response. :) 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

@kitnoman

as long as you tweak the settings to medium/low you can get a higher FPS until you buy your new card

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

I used 1060 6GB on my 1440p 165Hz for about 3-4 months before I upgraded to 1080ti. 

It really comes down to what games you play but for the most part you can definitely achieve 60FPS+ on Medium settings in the more demanding games. 

The less demanding games like Rocket League, CSGO, Overwatch, etc... will easily run at high settings with well over 100FPS.

I think the tradeoff of using a bit lower quality settings vs higher FPS on a high refresh rate display is worth it. 

That said, if you only care about games then imo, I really can't tell a difference in 1080p vs 1440p in games. 

On desktop however, even browsing Web is way better with that higher screen real estate of 1440p and you can comfortably have two full sized windows beside each other unlike on 1080p where many applications will require you to scroll sideways if you do that. 

Thanks for the help. I'll probably get 1440p now as I don't want the hassle to sell a 4-5month old monitor down the line if I'll get a 1080p one once I have a new card that can handle 1440p. Plus, I'll be getting 27-32 inch as well so, ya may be 1440p would be a better deal. Again thank you.