Dual monitors but only 1 powered at a time

Sike

Hello guys,

I was wondering if it was possible to have 2 HDMI plugged into the GPU ports, but only 1 monitor running at a time.

What I want to do is have 2 HDMI cables in different ports on the GPU, but only one display and switch between the two cables, as a workaround so I can work stood up.

Will the display work when switching between the two cables?

I'm in the process of building a PC yet again, but only have a laptop so I can't test ?

You can just mirror the displays instead of extend, so the same thing is on both.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

yeah like posted above just go into the display settings and pick to extend the first display to the second and them you will see what is one the fist screen on the second screen at the same time. 

Yes, this will work, but as @fasauceome recommended, mirroring the two monitors may be better.

REMEMBER:

IF YOU WANT ME TO RESPOND, YOU GOTTA QUOTE ME 

OR

PUT @Fixinit1 IN YOUR RESPONSE!!!!!

Gosh, I hate it when people forget. Anyway, check out my PC below, and there's a PCPartPicker link on my profile, If you wanna see what I'm planning.

Spoiler

SYSTEM SPECS: Finally ditched the Pentium N3540, now I've got the following:

CPU - Ryzen 5 2400G

GPU - 1060 6GB Gigabyte G1 Gaming

RAM - 16GB DDR4 3000mhz Team T-Force Delta RGB

MOTHERBOARD - MSI B350 Tomahawk

PSU - EVGA 450BT

CASE - PHANTEKS  P350X

3 minutes ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

Another way is to power off the monitor you don't want to use. Windows will only send video to monitors that are on.

What exactly are you trying to accomplish here though?

from what he posted it seems to me he has a monitor at normal sitting height and then one above it at standing height. so when he wants to stand he can still use a monitor. I have to say if you don't want to use two monitors at once that is a good option other then getting a moving desk or a thing you put on your desk that allows you make to taller/normal high. 

Just now, MrPoopyButtHole said:

I have to say if you don't want to use two monitors at once that is a good option other then getting a moving desk or a thing you put on your desk that allows you make to taller/normal high. 

Assuming they don't already have another monitor, I agree to having a movable monitor arm. A good standing desk can be an expensive proposition.

A cheap HDMi switch will do ya.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01L8LLP2G/

image.png.1fdef3be0254d88a3ab129f25324c0b0.png

Or like above, a monitor arm

image.png.e31e4299ce308decfe38df9835b20dac.png

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

🍎 iPad Air2; iPhone SE 2020; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 🍎

Thanks for the replies guys.

To clarify:

I'm using a normal desk with a monitor and have a wall table across the room just so I can work stood up.

1 hour ago, Sike said:

Thanks for the replies guys.

To clarify:

I'm using a normal desk with a monitor and have a wall table across the room just so I can work stood up.

If you're using two monitors to switch between different work desks than you should just do what @fasauceome suggested and just duplicate the displays.

You could get an hdmi switcher or just change which monitor displays in the windows display setting but if your gpu has 2 hdmi ports like you said in your original post then using a switcher or going to windows display settings seems like it'd be a pain to do every time you want to switch from sitting to standing.