AMD Is Working On A Monster 64-Core Threadripper

Clueless_Gamer
33 minutes ago, descendency said:

Not to add fuel to the flames, but isn't Zen 3 7nm? is the EPYC stuff on 14nm still?

Everything on Zen 2 (Ryzen, TR and Epyc) are all 7nm chiplets and 14nm IO dies. Zen 2 APUs are still up in the air as to how they are going to be laid out but they probably won't be on the market for 9-12 months (if at all) so it's not like anyone is going to be mixing those up.

There is one thing people always loose track of kind of.

Licenses and the price of those.

Linus even said that he doesn't see the benefit od a 64C TR.  I sure do.  It would be the end all, be all rendering power house for the single CPU workstation. With an ability to squeeze a bit more out of the all core clock with OC if you have a capable cooling system. 

I wouldn't go EPYC unless going for the dual CPU setups. (talking medium size office that renders). Having a dual 64Core (so 128 Core, 256 Thread) rendering monster and also have other "monsters" for work because at the end of the day. The license costs the same if you put it on an 9900K, 2700X, 3850X or some 64 Core thread ripper beast. And for a lot of workflows.  Licenses cost sometimes as much as the whole system.

V-ray Sketchup - 250 EUR yearly
V-Ray Unreal -     340 EUR yearly
V-ray render node - 120 EUR yearly. 
Sketchup Pro - 300 USD yearly
Sketchup Studio - 1200 USD yearly

4 hours ago, Waffles13 said:

Please quote these people. There was exactly one comment chain in this thread about it being 14nm, and it starts with "They must be smoking something."

People are excited about 64 cores because its 64 cores, and people are shitting on Intel because at this moment they don't have anything remotely close to answer it. I get that the hyper AMD fanboyism is annoying, but now you're just putting words in peoples mouths. No one with even a cursory knowledge of how Zen 2 works would suggest 14nm chiplets.

The rumor itself in the article dictates it is likely a 14nm part.  ergo all those who are making comments regarding Intel, or how this will be monster etc etc have not actually thought critically about it and just jumped on the AMD = awesome train without regard for the claimed specs.  

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

4 hours ago, descendency said:

Not to add fuel to the flames, but isn't Zen 3 7nm? is the EPYC stuff on 14nm still?

Largely, for the point i was making, it doesn't really matter as most claims are about Intel being stuck on 14 nm and can't do more cores, but no one questions AMD being able to pump out 64 on 14nm.

However:

Zen is on 14nm and Zen+ is on 12nm  with Zen 2 being on 7nm.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

On 6/15/2019 at 1:07 AM, The Benjamins said:

My TR3k Predictions (all clocks are ±200 Mhz) ( Prices are ± $100 X, ± $200 WX)

3990WX - 3.2/4.6 - 64c128t - $2499 - 60+4 PCIe 4.0 - 4 Channel DDR 3200 - 250w TDP

3980WX - 3.2/4.5 - 48c96t - $1799 -  60+4 PCIe 4.0 - 4 Channel DDR 3200 - 250w TDP

3970X    - 3.6/4.8 - 32c64t - $899 -  60+4 PCIe 4.0 - 4 Channel DDR 3200 - 180w TDP

3960X    - 3.6/4.7 - 24c48t - $649 -  60+4 PCIe 4.0 - 4 Channel DDR 3200 - 180w TDP

Wouldn't be surprised to see the return of 12c and 16c options if you need to take advantage of 4 channel RAM and 64 PCIe lanes.

2 hours ago, mr moose said:

Largely, for the point i was making, it doesn't really matter as most claims are about Intel being stuck on 14 nm and can't do more cores, but no one questions AMD being able to pump out 64 on 14nm.

However:

Zen is on 14nm and Zen+ is on 12nm  with Zen 2 being on 7nm.

reading the article we can see the author said he doesn't know if its 14nm or 7nm, He thinks it might be 14nm, 

now we can easily look at amd's server products and see that there is no 64 core 14nm cpu,  only a just announced 64 core 7nm cpu, and amd wouldn't back port zen 2 to 14nm either, so its obvious its 7nm

Will there be a TR APU, perhaps next gen? i want that so bad

On 6/15/2019 at 9:30 PM, mono said:

Wccftech must be smoking something by even mentioning that this CPU could be 14nm, that would be 1st gen Zen tech, even the 2990WX on Zen+ is 12nm, neither of those had 8 chiplet designs. Zen 2 at 7nm is the only way how they can expect to make it work power wise as well, but I still expect the TDP number to be impressive on this thing.

Two Zen 2 die’s are obviously 7nm + 7nm, it all adds up.

/s

2 hours ago, Belgarathian said:

WTF are they doing for 49% CPU usage?

windows 98 apparently

1 hour ago, schwellmo92 said:

It’s Windows Server OS.

Nah... Its a window

✨FNIGE✨

1 hour ago, VegetableStu said:

the question is how? o_o would there be a smaller variant of the IHS to accommodate 2 chiplets?

also which would perform better? 4x4c or 2x8c (would 2 chiplets be enough on a quad-channel setup?)? also also which would cost less overall? (also also also if we're talking about 4c chiplets, would an R3 get released before or after TR3k?)

dammit AMD tease TR3k already ,_,

amd wont make low core count cpus with zen 2, they didn't sell last time so they probably wont sell now

3 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

amd wont make low core count cpus with zen 2, they didn't sell last time so they probably wont sell now

and we allready have PCIe CPUs like the 1900x or 1st gen TR in general. 

depends how much AMD wants to f intel at this point in the HEDT space. 

2 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

i mean Lisa said TR3k "will have to raise accordingly" with Ryzen 3k, so maybe yeah ¯\(°_o)/¯

could also just mean they will start at 16 cores. like how 1st gen started at 8 cores.