Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Clueless_Gamer

AMD Is Working On A Monster 64-Core Threadripper

2 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

i wonder if the threadripper unveiling would be star tr3k themed ._.

also another point of contention: would AMD have 16c (or fewer) part(s) for the people who have programs that are apparently licensed by the number of cores in the system...?

most programs that license by core are programs what scale with cores, so there is not a big group of people that need that software and don't want a lot of cores. (AFAIK)

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

44 minutes ago, williamcll said:

Not really, amd doesn't have high clock server chips unlike Intel now. 

right the xeon W. thanks for reminding me :)

GPU drivers giving you a hard time? Try this! (DDU)

This really will be a monster consumer CPU indeed! The platform for it will be amazing. 

Now new Epyc with 128 cores though, that will be insanity...

Ryzen 7 3800X | X570 Aorus Elite | G.Skill 16GB 3200MHz C16 | Radeon RX 5700 XT | Samsung 850 PRO 256GB | Mouse: Zowie S1 | OS: Windows 10

4 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

each Zen 2 chiplet have 8 cores ._. the substrate only has places for 8 chiplets

(unless dual-socket, so...)

18 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

each Zen 2 chiplet have 8 cores ._. the substrate only has places for 8 chiplets

(unless dual-socket, so...)

Yeah did cross my mind. Maybe they could re-order chiplets to fit more of them while also scale down the IO die for extra space. Does pose a challenge indeed. Maybe with smaller process node in the future who knows. Or monolithic die haha xD yeah probably not. 

Ryzen 7 3800X | X570 Aorus Elite | G.Skill 16GB 3200MHz C16 | Radeon RX 5700 XT | Samsung 850 PRO 256GB | Mouse: Zowie S1 | OS: Windows 10

2 hours ago, williamcll said:

Not really, amd doesn't have high clock server chips unlike Intel now. 

amd does have high clock speed parts, its the 7371, which is a 16 core, which has a all core boost of 3.6 ghz and an 8 core boost of 3.8ghz

1 hour ago, Doobeedoo said:

Yeah did cross my mind. Maybe they could re-order chiplets to fit more of them while also scale down the IO die for extra space. Does pose a challenge indeed. Maybe with smaller process node in the future who knows. Or monolithic die haha xD yeah probably not. 

this is me guessing but they probably can't shrink the io much, they are already at the highest pin density there is for substrates with epyc 2, so to go further they would probably need to move to an interposer 

4 hours ago, cj09beira said:

you can with a few 480s 

There is law of diminishing returns. I would imagine that the real problem would be the amount of heat you can transfer from the CPU to the water. You can only get the temperature of the water to the ambient temperature of the room no matter how many rads you put on it unless you pull an Intel and use a chiller. I did see some mild overclocks on a water loop but they were nothing to write home about. 

2 hours ago, Doobeedoo said:

This really will be a monster consumer CPU indeed! The platform for it will be amazing. 

I mean they have dual socket boards so it would be 128 cores per motherboard. 

Press F for Xeon W

F.jpg.027a6f5276b786fd93d7fe3b8f213b82.jpg

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

6 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

I mean they have dual socket boards so it would be 128 cores per motherboard. 

Yeah, though on one package would be insane!

12 hours ago, Sypran said:

*Opens task manager*

Behold! All the threads!

I may not need anywhere near so many threads, but the sight of task manager is just orgasmic. I remember having 8 graphs when most ppl had 4. Then I had 12 when most had 8. Now I'm starting to lag behind a bit since I'm still on 12. Even 3900X with 32 threads is just insane sight in task manager.

Wccftech must be smoking something by even mentioning that this CPU could be 14nm, that would be 1st gen Zen tech, even the 2990WX on Zen+ is 12nm, neither of those had 8 chiplet designs. Zen 2 at 7nm is the only way how they can expect to make it work power wise as well, but I still expect the TDP number to be impressive on this thing.

43 minutes ago, mono said:

Wccftech must be smoking something by even mentioning that this CPU could be 14nm, that would be 1st gen Zen tech, even the 2990WX on Zen+ is 12nm, neither of those had 8 chiplet designs. Zen 2 at 7nm is the only way how they can expect to make it work power wise as well, but I still expect the TDP number to be impressive on this thing.

Yeah i scratched my head at that as well. How would 14nm even make sense? They even mention that it could be a 64 core trickling down from servers but what 14nm 64 core server bits do we have? How would you even get 64 cores onto a package that size with 14nm? 

So many questions yet no answers.

7 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

Yeah i scratched my head at that as well. How would 14nm even make sense? They even mention that it could be a 64 core trickling down from servers but what 14nm 64 core server bits do we have? How would you even get 64 cores onto a package that size with 14nm? 

51 minutes ago, mono said:

the author must not be following the server space closely, though he did say he didn't know what it was made with, so i with superior ( :P ) server knowledge can tell you this is 7nm and 14nm, cores on 7nm and io die on 14nm

1 minute ago, cj09beira said:

the author must not be following the server space closely, though he did say he didn't know what it was made with, so i with superior ( :P ) server knowledge can tell you this is 7nm and 14nm, cores on 7nm and io die on 14nm

I know. That's the only logical scenario.

One just wonders how you can write about a particular subject and then be so off with your speculation. Presumably he does this for a living. I mean it only takes a little bit of Googling to come up with a plausible answer to what a 3rd gen TR part might look like.

11 hours ago, Trixanity said:

The bit that made me scratch my head was not a week ago everyone was saying Intel couldn't do anything to keep up because they are stuck in 14nm.  But a rumor says AMD can do it and everyone is too busy gushing to question it.

QuicK and DirtY. Read the CoC it's like a guide on how not to be moron.  Also I don't have an issue with the VS series.

Sometimes I miss contractions like n't on the end of words like wouldn't, couldn't and shouldn't.    Please don't be a dick,  make allowances when reading my posts.

1 hour ago, mr moose said:

The bit that made me scratch my head was not a week ago everyone was saying Intel couldn't do anything to keep up because they are stuck in 14nm.  But a rumor says AMD can do it and everyone is too busy gushing to question it.

I think no one is questioning it because it makes zero sense and everyone assumes WCCF is wrong, which they constantly are.