Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Techno Edition

Olympus OM-1

Posted · Original PosterOP

I have a Olympus OM-1 with a Olympus OM Zuiko 50mm f1.8 lens. I have limited knowledge on how to do film photography. so HELP me, please. Also what is the actual rarity of this camera. some say it is rare some say it so common. anyway it works and I got it for £8.

1 hour ago, Techno Edition said:

I have a Olympus OM-1 with a Olympus OM Zuiko 50mm f1.8 lens. I have limited knowledge on how to do film photography. so HELP me, please. Also what is the actual rarity of this camera. some say it is rare some say it so common. anyway it works and I got it for £8.

It's not rare, it was produced for 7 years.

It's a very common camera. One of Olympus' best selling film SLRs. If it's in proper working condition (good light seals, accurate light meter + shutter speeds), it's worth around $70-100 USD. So £8 is a pretty good price.

If you're actually interested in shooting it, the best thing to do would be to just buy a roll of film and test it out.

CPU: R5 2600 (Noctua U12S) || Mobo: MSI B450I || RAM: Vengeance LPX 16gb 3000MHz || GPU: Nvidia GTX 1070 (OEM) || Case: Raijintek Metis Plus || Storage: Adata SU800 1TB, Sandisk Z400S 256gb, WD Blue 2TB 2.5", 8TB NAS || PSU: Silverstone SF45SF-G 450w Gold || BUILD LOG || Laptops: Dell XPS 13 9360 (2017, i7 + 16gb), Macbook Pro 13" (2014, i5 + 16gb) || Cameras: D700, D7100, X100S, F3, F100

The light meter doesn't work but everything else seams ok. I will definitely start shooting with it.

On 6/13/2019 at 5:10 PM, Techno Edition said:

You don't know if it works because you haven't shot film through it yet and got it developed. ;)

Just because it makes noise doesn't mean that it works.

That price you got it for tells me there is something to a lot wrong with it and might not work. For one that actually is good the price is way too low so be warned.

Get a roll of film and shoot it up and get it developed to see if it actually works.

Just get a roll of 400 film and use that to test it.

If it doesn't the repair costs will cost you much more than the camera is worth.

i9 9900K @ 5.0 GHz, NH D15, 32 GB GSKILL Trident Z RGB, AORUS Z390 MASTER, EVGA RTX 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 27", HYPERX Alloy Elite KB, Logitech Gaming Pro Mouse, CM Master Case 5, Seasonic Prime Titanium Ultra 750W. 

NEW PSU Tier List      MB Tier List

It was this woman's dead husband's camera was on sale at an antiques fair for £85. I came back at nearly closing time and it was on sale for £22. I managed to get it down to £8. She was also selling other film cameras including the OM-2 and loads of lenses.