GPU Issue

sirlamchops25

My friend recently gave me his old graphics card, a Zotac GTX1080 Mini because he said it was broken, and did not want to put in the effort to fix it, and consequently he upgraded to an RTX2070. I plugged the card into my own system and tried to turn on my computer and here's what I noticed:

The graphics card "turned on," meaning the fans were spinning and the LED logo lit up, but none of the display inputs were working, as straight after the BIOS startup screen, my monitor went dark. 

With this said, I know that I was going to receive a broken GPU, and I am almost sure the issue is with the display output ports on the back of the card. However, I am still willing to put the effort to try and fix this card, as a GTX1080 still has incredible performance (a lot better than my 1050Ti).

So long story short, can someone help me identify a specific issue/how to resolve it? It would be greatly appreciated!

Btw my PC specs are:
Ryzen 5 1600

16GB GSkill Trident RGB 3000mHz

GTX 1050Ti

Asus B350 Motherboard (Micro ATX)

Ryzen 5 1600 @3.75 gHz     ???     RTX 2070 Super Founders Edition

ASUS ROG Strix X-470-F     ???     Fractal Design Meshify C

500GB WD Blue Sata SSD     ???     Samsung  970EVO 500GB

2TB Seagate Firecude 3.5"     ???     2x8 Gb GSkill TridentZ RGB @3000mHz

Corsair CX650M

Try the DVI-D port on the back. If that doesn't work either, the ports are most likely not defective.

7 hours ago, Sat1600 said:

The card is able to display the bios?

Yes the bios still shows, but the screen turns black right afterwards

Corsair CX650M

7 hours ago, Senzelian said:

Try the DVI-D port on the back. If that doesn't work either, the ports are most likely not defective.

if its not the ports, what possible issues would you think that there would be?

Corsair CX650M

Did you still have drivers installed when you switched GPUs?

If so, boot into safemode and see if the desktop appears with the basic windows display driver.

6 hours ago, sirlamchops25 said:

Yes the bios still shows, but the screen turns black right afterwards

If you can get an image in the bios it's probably not the ports.

Did this guy flash a wrong bios on the card? That may be the issue. Try HDMI maybe

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

The only person who can help you is me a true squirrel. 

Bring your gpu back from the dead by putting the introvert "bastard" into the oven

Step 1

Unplug all other GPU you have plugged in except a working one.

Run your Windows normally and download Driver easy.

Update each driver, specifically the Intel Watchdog driver and Interface Management.

Restart your computer and press F2 or Del to go into your BIOS.

- In your BIOS, turn on PCIe as priority.

Uninstall all GPU drivers through Control Panel. Install DDU and reboot into safe mode to uninstall the rest of the drivers left behind.

Step 2

You need to inspect the card physically for any damages to capacitors, transistors, burnt marks, anything of obvious. To do this, you'll have to remove the stock cooler from the GPU and then reapply thermal paste. Clean the PCB with Isopropyl Alcohol and tooth brush. Wipe off any corrosion you see (if there's any.) Put back on the cooler, secure everything tightly, make sure everything fits in its place (you don't want to tighten a screw that will chip the PCB, it can cause a shortage.)

Step 3

Turn PC off, unplug cord, install the GPU. Turn it on and let it load. Make sure to use DVI to DVI instead of the HDMI. HDMI tend to black out display until you have the necessary drivers which will make it appear as if the GPU is dead.

Contact Zotac tech support and ask for firmware upgrades. Make sure to write down the GPU- PN, SN, and SKU. They will and should send you the upgraded vBIOS for the card so you'll be able to flash it. More than not, this should actually get the card to start running again.

Post any thing you observed here and we can take it from there. (Don't oven your GPU, just don't.)

Things that is tricky and should be noted

Not having a display on the card means you can't run the necessary flash vBIOS from Zotac and start diagnostic on the card or install the necessary drivers for it. If this is the case, you'll have to use both your integrated onboard while the GPU is intact with power. To do this, you'll have to go into BIOS, switch graphics to onboard rather than PCIe as the primary during load-up. You'll have visual through the onboard and you'll be able to apply drivers to the Zotac GPU because it is still attached and powered. The Ryzen 5 1600 doesn't have on-board graphics, so you'll going to have to find another work around.

On 6/14/2019 at 5:19 PM, aradioactivesquirrel said:

The only person who can help you is me a true squirrel. 

Bring your gpu back from the dead by putting the introvert "bastard" into the oven

heard of baking dead GPU's but I'd rather not risk it, and I'd especially not risk taking advice from a radioactive squirrel (maybe if you were a rabbit)

Corsair CX650M

Your in luck, my cousin is a rbbit and he told me you should use a heat gun and "Massage" the gpu with the heat of the gun. this will re align the soldier back into their "Terminals" (pockets). Must have on flat surface. Also let gpu cooldown by room temp. Massage with heat your gpu for 20 minutes. Get it to where its really really hot for that long then let room temp cool it down. When that gpu got  too hot the solder "crisscrossed" and now their are errors in the gpu.