passive cooler

Faisal A

will something like this work or is it just a waste of time and money ?

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by LogicalDrm

If you want me to see your reply, please tag me @Faisal A

Well it would first depend on what you are trying to cool

~Air Cooling Advocate~

Maybe, but personally I wouldn't trust it. It kinda looks like a cheap cullender.

I'd get something like a Dark Rock Pro 4 which should be enough to passively cool a 65w cpu. Leave a fan on it and set the fan curve to keep the fan off until it hits a high temperature just incase it needed the extra fan boost.

~Air Cooling Advocate~

2 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

If you want a well performing fanless CPU cooler, then I recommend to get a Thermalright Le Grand Macho.

Yes, that's the actual name of it...

ayyy

13 minutes ago, Faisal A said:

@Votivee65w cpu

What 65w CPU?

Also why go fanless. Something a dr4 or drp4 or many more do silent operation with dans. 

Then there is the issue of coilwhine which is more annoying than any fan

14 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

What 65w CPU?

Also why go fanless. Something a dr4 or drp4 or many more do silent operation with dans. 

Then there is the issue of coilwhine which is more annoying than any fan

The Silent Wings 3 that the DR4/DRP4 ships with are nowhere near silent. Tbh, they're kinda junk. Yeah I know, bold statement, but I was a big supporter of the SW3 fans and after getting a few examples I wouldn't want to use them. The SW2 fans are quieter and there are also Noctuas that are quieter.

2 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

The Silent Wings 3 that the DR4/DRP4 ships with are nowhere near silent. Tbh, they're kinda junk. Yeah I know, bold statement, but I was a big supporter of the SW3 fans and after getting a few examples I wouldn't want to use them. The SW2 fans are quieter and there are also Noctuas that are quieter.

Fair enough, but even minimum RPM SW3 are quiet. 

Its not like it needs to ramp up the RPM.

Just now, GoldenLag said:

Fair enough, but even minimum RPM SW3 are quiet. 

Its not like it needs to ramp up the RPM.

Yeah if you control them properly then they're nice and quiet, but you could also get Scythe Kaze 800RPM fans, which are just as quiet for 5€. :P 

1 minute ago, Senzelian said:

Yeah if you control them properly then they're nice and quiet, but you could also get Scythe Kaze 800RPM fans, which are just as quiet for 5€. :P 

You could also allways get the new styrrox fans from Noctua and forget about noise. 

1 minute ago, GoldenLag said:

You could also allways get the new styrrox fans from Noctua and forget about noise. 

I wonder if they're actually that quiet. The material alone is not going to make them quieter than the standard Noctua A12.

Just now, Senzelian said:

I wonder if they're actually that quiet. The material alone is not going to make them quieter than the standard Noctua A12.

From what i can gather, they are pretty dark quiet for the airflow they provide. Not the most quiet during full operation. 

The NH-U12A shows off the fan really well. 

35 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

Uhh, RPM for RPM, SW3 140mm High-speed vs A14 Chromax (have both, just tested them at 800RPM), the SW3 are basically the same, only noise is air movng

2 hours ago, Senzelian said:

The NF-A12x25 design only works because of the Sterrox material and there isn't a different version without Sterrox. Getting the fan blades so close to the frame wouldn't have worked well over time with the older material.

@Faisal A Specs? Are you planning to run the heatsink fully passive or is there going to be some case airflow? 

Why are you looking at this cooler in particular?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

2 hours ago, Senzelian said:

https://www.quietpc.com/120mmfans

~Air Cooling Advocate~