Server for remote app usage (business)

Hi!

In my business I use a server for remote app service, I built this server myself with 32 gigs of ECC RAM and a Xeon 4114 (10 core 20 thread) with the integrated GPU on the motherboard. This setup works fine for now but i'm afraid that it won't do it further down the road. We are currently 6 employees working via remote app daily at the moment and we are going to hire some (2-3) more people soon.

I was looking at CPU prices and noticed that AMD was much cheaper than Intels counterpart, I also noticed that the Ryzen x1950 was both cheaper and higher clocked than EPYC 7281 with the same amount of cores. Do I lose anything by going with the x1950 over the Epyc CPU with the workloads I throw at it? This was just an example, I heard AMD will release new CPUs soon so it probably be the newer version, but that probably won't affect the question.

These are light programs the RAM is more than sufficient today if i upgrade i will go no further than 64 GB of RAM. We're talking Excel, Word, Adobe reader and some office programs that are no real struggle to handle, just text, no video, pictures or anything like that.

Also i wonder how cores are divided, can 2 people use the same core when connecting to remote app? Is the limit of users the same as the core count on the CPU or does remote app have no affect on the cores other than the amount of combined workload it puts on the CPU from all users combined?

On 6/13/2019 at 4:10 PM, Benji1927 said:

Hi!

In my business I use a server for remote app service, I built this server myself with 32 gigs of ECC RAM and a Xeon 4114 (10 core 20 thread) with the integrated GPU on the motherboard. This setup works fine for now but i'm afraid that it won't do it further down the road. We are currently 6 employees working via remote app daily at the moment and we are going to hire some (2-3) more people soon.

I was looking at CPU prices and noticed that AMD was much cheaper than Intels counterpart, I also noticed that the Ryzen x1950 was both cheaper and higher clocked than EPYC 7281 with the same amount of cores. Do I lose anything by going with the x1950 over the Epyc CPU with the workloads I throw at it? This was just an example, I heard AMD will release new CPUs soon so it probably be the newer version, but that probably won't affect the question.

These are light programs the RAM is more than sufficient today if i upgrade i will go no further than 64 GB of RAM. We're talking Excel, Word, Adobe reader and some office programs that are no real struggle to handle, just text, no video, pictures or anything like that.

Also i wonder how cores are divided, can 2 people use the same core when connecting to remote app? Is the limit of users the same as the core count on the CPU or does remote app have no affect on the cores other than the amount of combined workload it puts on the CPU from all users combined?

Even with 2-3 more employees, I don't imagine your 10c20t CPU will have much issue with that. You'd still be looking at "more than" 2 threads per user (technically 2.2 repeating).

Assuming we're talking about Remote Sessions? The Server manages CPU resources entirely, and will simply spread out the resources as needed. Each remote session isn't "assigned" their own CPU's.

Depending on workload, you can definitely exceed CPU core count - though this is something that you will need to test out yourself and see how far you can push it.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)