Having 2 displays connected to a laptop

Auser

Hello,

So I'm not really sure if this is possible. My laptop only offers one hdmi output and one usb c, but as far as I can tell this exact usb c can't carry video (it doesn't have any lighting signs next to it). But as I was searching the internet I found people that bought an usb a to vga adapter of some kind and then hooked it up to laptop. It just worked and the laptop that they were using wasn't really up to date. Now I'm confused. Can I somehow get two video output on my laptop using some kind of adapters?

beside usb c and hdmi I also got one usb 3.0 and 2x usb 2.0. 

gpu: Nvidia geforce mx150

cpu: intel i7 8550u

Thanks for all the help

okay hdmi is fine, may I suggest this a scepter or similar 4k tv, but to be careful selecting 4k monitor tv, my first 4k was class b, very disappointing to do some research first before bying is important- class 2AA or higher or not worth hooking the monitor to the tv. hdmi throughput is usually okay for most pc use - higher Hz  or premium throughput is of course worth looking into

1 minute ago, ampm1.0 said:

okay hdmi is fine, may I suggest this a scepter or similar 4k tv, but to be careful selecting 4k monitor tv, my first 4k was class b, very disappointing to do some research first before bying is important- class 2AA or higher or not worth hooking the monitor to the tv. hdmi throughput is usually okay for most pc use - higher Hz  or premium throughput is of course worth looking into

I'm already have monitor connected to hdmi port. I'm just wondering if there is a way I can connect another one to usb a/usb c connector via adapter?

You can buy "usb video cards" but they'll suck for anything except 2D stuff and maybe watching movies 

The idea is you install a driver and that driver fakes a video card and 60 times a second the driver takes the picture that represents the video card output, held in RAM in your laptop somewhere, and optionally compresses it and sends it through USB to the chip which then decompresses it and converts it to HDMI signal.

So if you have loads of motion (like what you have in a game) you'd see a lot of cpu usage because a lot of data is moving through the usb port.  For 2D stuff that can compress well or for a movie that has only 24-30 fps, it's less noticeable.

Here's some examples:

17 UK pounds : https://www.amazon.co.uk/Adapter-Graphics-Converter-Compatible-Windows-black/dp/B076J3VKMJ?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_3

53 UK pounds : https://www.amazon.co.uk/StarTech-com-External-Video-Monitor-Adapter-Black/dp/B00H91BQ7Y?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_4

You can probably find these on Amazon.com or Newegg or other places, it's just that my Amazon defaults today on .co.uk

So.. you could for example use such a adapter to have a browser, discord chat, skype, some things on a tv/monitor , and you can play on the actual laptop monitor AND/OR on the TV connected to the HDMI port (you can mirror or extend laptop screen to TV)

That just "mirrors" the signal, you end up with two screens showing same image. Pointless.

I'm not sure if your usb port will be able to carry video signal but you can try using a usb c to hdmi and see if you get signal, you might need to go into windows setting to set it up as 'extend display' or have it as a separate second screen. If it doesn't work you can always return the product.