New Build, AURA Sync, Threadripper 1950x, unraid recommendations

1 minute ago, LukeSavenije said:

the vii hero, because it has the same vrms

the vi hero, becaude it has similar vrms, but is x370 based

and why aura specifically? why not for example mystic sync?

I am not familiar with mystic sync. But, I can look into it. Which board would you recommend?

4 minutes ago, jstudrawa said:

When you say "ripping 4K movies" you really do mean you spend $30 for Blu-Ray discs and then rip them?!

And yes, grab a cheap AMD multi-core and enjoy.

For the most part, yes, that is what I meant.  I also might want to transcode 4k to 720p.  I am using a laptop, it would take like six hours. The threadripper can do it in thirty minutes (I did the math). It does 121 frames per second, my computer does ten frames per second.

Just now, asmcriminal said:

I am not familiar with mystic sync. But, I can look into it. Which board would you recommend?

it was an example, you have polychrome sync (asrock), rgb fusion (gigabyte), mystic sync (MSI) and vivid (biostar) outside of aura sync

if you want something really high tier for a somewhat reasonable price, you really have the choice between these:

Taichi (ultimate version has 10 gigabit)

Aorus Gaming 7

Designature

M7

Pro carbon (x470)

X470/x370 strix F

and some x570's that come out on 7/7, but i can't give my final recommendations on that yet

2 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

it was an example, you have polychrome sync (asrock), rgb fusion (gigabyte), mystic sync (MSI) and vivid (biostar) outside of aura sync

if you want something really high tier for a somewhat reasonable price, you really have the choice between these:

Taichi (ultimate version has 10 gigabit)

Aorus Gaming 7

Designature

M7

Pro carbon (x470)

X470/x370 strix F

and some x570's that come out on 7/7, but i can't give my final recommendations on that yet

Okay, thanks. What about the processor? I can wait until the new ones are released. What is a good recommendation in regards to the new processors coming out? (As I said I don't know how they're named).

1 minute ago, asmcriminal said:

Okay, thanks. What about the processor? I can wait until the new ones are released. What is a good recommendation in regards to the new processors coming out? (As I said I don't know how they're named).

the 3700x and 3800x seem to be very promissing, with higher clocks and ipc. but if you want more cores, you can go up to 16 on the platform right now

40 minutes ago, asmcriminal said:

Grab a B450 tomahawk 

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

9 minutes ago, Stormseeker9 said:

Grab a B450 tomahawk 

there are other, quite similar or better boards like the mortar, bazooka plus and pro carbon, which have about the same and on the mortar even the same vrm setup

don't limit yourself to just one choice

8 minutes ago, Stormseeker9 said:

Grab a B450 tomahawk 

The issue with that board is the SATA ports. It has four. I need about six sata ports for the hard drive. I usually shoot for eight, something might need one besides the hard drives.  These appear to be my only option.  I attached a picture.

MB.PNG

11 minutes ago, asmcriminal said:

These appear to be my only option.

vi hero, gaming pro carbon or x370-f from that list

but i see the taichi having 8 of them too

17 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

vi hero, gaming pro carbon or x370-f from that list

but i see the taichi having 8 of them too

I picked the VI Hero. I got a little warning, It says. " Warning! Some AMD X370 chipset motherboards may need a BIOS update prior to using Pinnacle Ridge CPUs. Upgrading the BIOS may require a different CPU that is supported by older BIOS revisions. "

I picked the VI Hero because of aura sync. I already picked out a cooler and it does use Aura sync. I could pick a diffrent cooler, for mystic sync or whatever. But I am trying to get this over with.

1 minute ago, asmcriminal said:

Some AMD X370 chipset motherboards may need a BIOS update prior to using Pinnacle Ridge CPUs

old thing, 99% of the boards will be updated by now

2 minutes ago, asmcriminal said:

picked out a cooler and it does use Aura sync

and not mystic or another sync? what cooler is that? an asus?

10 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

old thing, 99% of the boards will be updated by now

and not mystic or another sync? what cooler is that? an asus?

Okay, yeah you're right. It's Mystic Sync compatible. I went with the Gaming Pro Carbon.

The cooler I plan on getting is the Thermaltake - Water 3.0 360 ARGB Sync Edition 56.45 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler. I am starting to think it might be a bit of overkill for this system. I don't know if you have any recommendations.

5 minutes ago, asmcriminal said:

Gaming Pro Carbon

x470 i assume? tho b450 could technically keep it good enough

6 minutes ago, asmcriminal said:

Water 3.0 360 ARGB Sync Edition

yep... and not even that good valuewise

I'd highly recommend the nhd15 and dark rock pro 4 for the same cooling performance, much less pricewise and actually quieter and better cooling on long runs

2 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

x470 i assume? tho b450 could technically keep it good enough

yep... and not even that good valuewise

I'd highly recommend the nhd15 and dark rock pro 4 for the same cooling performance, much less pricewise and actually quieter and better cooling on long runs

The dark rock pro 4 looks nice. I am looking for some RGB, thus more along the lines of liquid cooling. Something that works with Mystic Sync. I came across Cooler Master - MasterLiquid ML240R RGB. 

8 minutes ago, asmcriminal said:

The dark rock pro 4 looks nice. I am looking for some RGB, thus more along the lines of liquid cooling. Something that works with Mystic Sync. I came across Cooler Master - MasterLiquid ML240R RGB. 

that'll cool worse... and there are imo so many downsides to aios i rather recommend an air cooler. h7 quad lumi would be an option if you can still find any (below 70 bucks)

7 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

that'll cool worse... and there are imo so many downsides to aios i rather recommend an air cooler. h7 quad lumi would be an option if you can still find any (below 70 bucks)

Yeah, I mentioned that I could build a loop if needed. But the issue is the reservoir. They usually go where the hard drive cage is. I need a good amount of hard drives That's why I was leaning towards the AIO. Could I replace the fan on the Dark Rock Pro 4 with an RGB one?

3 hours ago, LukeSavenije said:

there are other, quite similar or better boards like the mortar, bazooka plus and pro carbon, which have about the same and on the mortar even the same vrm setup

don't limit yourself to just one choice

I am not. Own a GPC myself, but if it’s for saving money, I can only recommend stuff I had experience with 

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

8 hours ago, asmcriminal said:

Could I replace the fan on the Dark Rock Pro 4 with an RGB one?

technically, yeah

but you'd have to pay up to get the same quality tho, bq is almost noctua level

27 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

technically, yeah

but you'd have to pay up to get the same quality tho, bq is almost noctua level

I ran into a big issue. As originally stated... I was going to use unraid as my OS. You need Windows to use all the RGB stuff. I am not sure if it would work through a VM. I picked out an Intel CPU and just decided to go with an external raid device. I went with Intel because of the thunderbolt three. But now... I am thinking that the RGB would be quiet annoying. At first, it might look cool. But when it's constantly in your face day and night it would be annoying.

I am completely dropping the RGB stuff.  Went back to AMD. I decided I will build two computers. A little server and my main PC(The 2700x) On pcpartpicker.com I got a server for about 250 dollars. I came back to the forums to check the recommend motherboards.

12 minutes ago, asmcriminal said:

You need Windows to use all the RGB stuff

or use an external controller, but those are normally quite limited