New Build, AURA Sync, Threadripper 1950x, unraid recommendations

Hello, I have built a few PC's in the past and I can work on them(and laptops). But it has been so long that I am a bit out of touch with things nowadays. I use Plex and have been wanting to upgrade my Plex server with 4K movies. I have been ripping them and I clearly need more storage.  I don't want to compress the movies. I want some redundancy(hence unraid).  I am looking for about 24TB of usable storage. I know I can use the Windows storage spaces, but I am more likely to reinstall Windows a lot more and probably have issues with rebuilding(if even possible) my drives. I think with unraid I will rarely if ever reinstall it.  I will also have an external back up of all my movies and important data. I also want cloud access. I think NextCloud would work. One concern is that if I have to reinstall unraid. I am concerned about losing my data(of course I will have a back up) It would just take a long time to transfer all my data. I think I have all this figured out. Any recommendations or tips would be appreciated.

Now on to my main question... I don't know much about aura sync and water cooling. I have seen a lot of videos and I am confident I can put together a loop if I need to.  The monoblock, should be aura sync capable. I was looking at AIO and it seems that the aura sync ones are not very good for this type of build. I am assuming I would have to build my own loop? If so, I don't have a problem with that. I guess what is getting me with the loop is the aura sync monoblock and the pump/reservoir combo.  How should I put this together?

Another issue is the case... since I need a lot of storage, I need a lot of drives. I realized I can just buy bigger drivers. four twelve TB drivers would cover me(one for parity).  The issue is that more often then not, people remove the drive bays for the reservoir. So I need a bit of help with that. Oh, and the case should also be Aura sync capable... (i know you don't have to say it)

The motherboard I am planning to use.

Asus - ROG ZENITH EXTREME ALPHA EATX TR4 Motherboard.

I picked the thread ripper because I believe it gives me the most bang for the buck. My budget for the CPU is about 500 dollars. I might do some transcoding, I clearly rip my movies, Sometimes I play mild games. I would like to get the dolphin emulator working smoothly. I am clearly going to use a VM. I am also a software engineer, so I will also do coding.

Total budget is about 2,500 - 3,000 dollars. I will only be using the onboard video.

afaik TR does not have iGPU. You’ll need something cheap like a 1030 to pass through the signal. 

Also why TR? You could buy something like a 2400g + B450 motherboard and be done. 

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

2 minutes ago, Stormseeker9 said:

afaik TR does not have iGPU. You’ll need something cheap like a 1030 to pass through the signal. 

Also why TR? You could buy something like a 2400g + B450 motherboard and be done. 

I thought it had onboard video. I just checked. I guess not.  I think the TR would be good at managing unraid and also for Ripping my movies and the VM I will be running. What got me interested in the TR was that I was looking at passmark scores and it did very well compared to the processor I was planning to get which was an i7-7000K. They were also roughly about the same price.

I'll check those out.

The CPU looks really good for what it is. I need something with a passmark of 17000. I might need to transcode 4K video.

Just now, asmcriminal said:

The CPU looks really good for what it is. I need something with a passmark of 17000. I might need to transcode 4K video.

Thought it’s just for home cinema playback? 

I mean zen 2 is just around the corner (7/7) and you can grab a 8c/16t for $249.

combine that with a higher end B450/X470 or with the new x570 (expensive) and you’re good as gold and are saving quite some money I would think.

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

3 minutes ago, Stormseeker9 said:

grab a 8c/16t for $249.

200 even rn

I'd personally rather get a 2700 and a x470 taichi ultimate (10 gig networking port)

1 minute ago, Stormseeker9 said:

Thought it’s just for home cinema playback? 

I mean zen 2 is just around the corner (7/7) and you can grab a 8c/16t for $249.

combine that with a higher end B450/X470 or with the new x570 (expensive) and you’re good as gold and are saving quite some money I would think.

Mostly for home cinema playback. I just like security. I was in the hospital for a few days a while back and I wish I could have streamed some of my movies. I might go to Mexico and I would like to connect to my movies. It's just a failsafe you know? Most of my movies are in 1080p. I did compress them down to 2GB or so. But I am all into 4K now. Also, unraid is a software raid. Thus... I just want things to run smoothly(another reason I picked the thread ripper)

I am not too familiar with the newer processors. Thus, which processor/s have 8c/16c?

3 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

200 even rn

I'd personally rather get a 2700 and a x470 taichi ultimate (10 gig networking port)

This is my first topic on any computer-based forum. I am glad you brought up the 10 gig port. I don't understand that. Wouldn't I need a 10 gig internet connection? Maybe I already have one? Am I currently being bottlenecked on my network? (I clearly don't know much about networking)

This is my first topic on any computer-based forum. I am glad you brought up the 10 gig port. I don't understand that. WOuldn't I need a 10 gig internet connection? Maybe I already have one? Am I currently being bottlenecked on my network?

you probably won't need it right now, but if you want 1.25 gigabyte of local throughput rather than .0125 gigabytes of throughput down the line, it's really nice to have

and the combo is about the price of the motherboard you selected

6 minutes ago, asmcriminal said:

Mostly for home cinema playback. I just like security. I was in the hospital for a few days a while back and I wish I could have streamed some of my movies. I might go to Mexico and I would like to connect to my movies. It's just a failsafe you know? Most of my movies are in 1080p. I did compress them down to 2GB or so. But I am all into 4K now. Also, unraid is a software raid. Thus... I just want things to run smoothly(another reason I picked the thread ripper)

I am not too familiar with the newer processors. Thus, which processor/s have 8c/16c?

Zen 2. 

3600:3600x if I remember correctly. (Early morning, on my phone and too lazy to google rn).

but for what you want to achieve I do still think TR is overkill.

But as @LukeSavenije and I have both mentioned, a 2700 + B450 tomahawk or X470 Taichi will be a good solution for what you needn’t I think 

1 minute ago, Stormseeker9 said:

3600:3600x if I remember correctly. (

nope, 3700x and 3800x

1 minute ago, LukeSavenije said:

you probably won't need it right now, but if you want 1.25 gigabyte of local throughput rather than .0125 gigabytes of throughput down the line, it's really nice to have

and the combo is about the price of the motherboard you selected

Okay, thanks. I get it now. I was wondering about that. I was thinking about buying one of those QNAP things. But... I wasn't sure if I had the bandwidth to play 4K over the local network.

Okay, thanks. I get it now. I was wondering about that. I was thinking about buying one of those QNAP things. But... I wasn't sure if I had the bandwidth to play 4K over the local network.

i haven't tried myself... so it's hard to say

Just now, LukeSavenije said:

nope, 3700x and 3800x

Yeah just woke up and too lazy to google ?

2 minutes ago, Stormseeker9 said:

Yeah just woke up and too lazy to google ?

i watched the e3 keynote from 00:00 to 1:30, so i can kinda know...

That Ryzen 7 2700X looks really good.  It's right on the borderline of 4K transcoding. What is the next step up from this processor? Also, when are these new processors expected to come out?  I don't know the naming conventions for AMD. I am not sure if it's going to be a Ryzen 8 2700X coming out or what.

28 minutes ago, asmcriminal said:

That Ryzen 7 2700X looks really good.  It's right on the borderline of 4K transcoding. What is the next step up from this processor? Also, when are these new processors expected to come out?  I don't know the naming conventions for AMD. I am not sure if it's going to be a Ryzen 8 2700X coming out or what.

new processors will be out at 7/7 except for the 16c

wouldn't a 2700 non x do?

20 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

new processors will be out at 7/7 except for the 16c

wouldn't a 2700 non x do?

The 2700 has a score of 15022. The 2700x has a score of 16981. Plex recommends a score of 17000 for 4k transcoding. 

Edited by asmcriminal

1 minute ago, asmcriminal said:

The 2700 has a score of 15022. The 2700x has a score of 16981. Plex recommends a score of 17000 for 4k transcoding. 

Grab a 2700x + B450 tomahawk or similar and you’ll be fine ?

2 minutes ago, asmcriminal said:

i mean... a 2700 is overclockable, so it should be able to do about the same

8 hours ago, Stormseeker9 said:

Grab a 2700x + B450 tomahawk or similar and you’ll be fine ?

8 hours ago, LukeSavenije said:

i mean... a 2700 is overclockable, so it should be able to do about the same

Okay, as I was going to bed, I did a little bit more research and I did settle on the 2700x.  You're right it's overclockable too. So I should be good. I also settled on the Crosshair VI Extreme. I just have one little question. I need a cheap video card. I need one that can output 4k. Any recommendations? 

5 minutes ago, asmcriminal said:

Crosshair VI Extreme

ehm... may i ask why?

6 minutes ago, asmcriminal said:

need one that can output 4k.

1030 or rx 560?

1 minute ago, LukeSavenije said:

ehm... may i ask why?

1030 or rx 560?

The only reason I picked that board was because of the AURA sync. If you have another recommendation with aura sync, I would gladly hear it.

9 hours ago, asmcriminal said:

I thought it had onboard video. I just checked. I guess not.  I think the TR would be good at managing unraid and also for Ripping my movies and the VM I will be running. What got me interested in the TR was that I was looking at passmark scores and it did very well compared to the processor I was planning to get which was an i7-7000K. They were also roughly about the same price.

I'll check those out.

When you say "ripping 4K movies" you really do mean you spend $30 for Blu-Ray discs and then rip them?!

And yes, grab a cheap AMD multi-core and enjoy.

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

The only reason I picked that board was because of the AURA sync. If you have another recommendation with aura sync, I would gladly hear it.

the vii hero, because it has the same vrms

the vi hero, becaude it has similar vrms, but is x370 based

and why aura specifically? why not for example mystic sync?