Why are stealth planes black? Not blue like sky or even mirrors lol?

WolfLoverPro

The paint is Radar absorbent. The original versions (F-117 / B2)  were actually very dark purple, and defined by the chemical composition and application method. Most of the early photos taken in specific lighting conditions to hide this.

The modern versions (F22/F35) are variations of grey. Most of the designs have a disruptive pattern.

Fun fact - radar systems can detect stealth planes, you just need to program the computer to detect a bird flying at 500 Knots on the right frequency. Gives a lot of false positives though.

9900K  / Asus Maximus Formula XI / 32Gb G.Skill RGB 4266mHz / 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus & 1TB Samsung 970 Evo / EVGA 3090 FTW3.

2 loops : XSPC EX240 + 2x RX360 (CPU + VRMs) / EK Supremacy Evo & RX480 + RX360 (GPU) / Optimus W/B. 2 x D5 pumps / EK Res

8x NF-A2x25s, 14 NF-F12s and a Corsair IQ 140 case fan / CM HAF Stacker 945 / Corsair AX 860i

LG 38GL950G & Asus ROG Swift PG278Q / Duckyshine 6 YOTR / Logitech G502 / Thrustmaster Warthog & TPR / Blue Yeti / Sennheiser HD599SE / Astro A40s

Valve Index, Knuckles & 2x Lighthouse V2

I don't know if is the real reason, but it is a good justification.

You can easily see a black plane against a blue background. Its like putting a black dot on a blue piece of paper. But the atmosphere is nothing like a blue piece of paper. Its more like a blue fog. 75% of the atmosphere is below 36,000 ft. Stealth planes fly at 60,000 - 90,000 ft and nearly all the atmosphere is below them. The sky at 60,000 ft is dark. Above is space which is black. So really its more like looking at a black dot on a black piece of paper with blue tissue paper on top. Very hard to detect.

2 hours ago, Captain Chaos said:

Hang on ... are you telling me I'm not fashionable?

Hide contents

2125158672_Fatcyclist.jpg.eef042d1ac99074ff2cde145119e360c.jpg

No, you're fine...

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

On 6/13/2019 at 3:24 AM, Jurrunio said:

Definitely not mirrors, that's just seeking attention. These planes arent meant to be baits

In theory if you had an advanced enough computer and aerial control systems on the top of the plane you could use "randomly" changing surface geometry mirrors* on the underside to spoof radar. In practice that would probably never work though.

*Specifically, a material that mirrors radio waves really, really well.