Best DIstro For Kinda Old Laptop

Alrighty so...

I have my old HP Stream 14 that I used to use for school. It only has 32 gb of storage, and is currently on Win 8. I don't have the storage to get Win10 and I don't think with a celeron and 4gb ram it would be enjoyable anyway. I had been wanting to use Linux for awhile now, and I figured now was a good time to start. My question is, for web browsing and maybe some code testing ( for Cyberpatriot), what distro do I go with?

Thanks in advance!

Ryzen 7 1700X - Cryorig C7 - Gigabyte Gaming B450 Wifi - 16GB GSKILL Aegis DDR4-3000mghz - WD Black NVMe 250GB M.2 / WD Black 2.5 1TB HD - Gigabyte Radeon RX 580 8GB - FD Node 202

"Never trust a computer you can’t throw out a window."

— Steve Wozniak

PCPartPicker - Steam - GitHub

bunsenlabs

xubuntu

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

2 minutes ago, themctipers said:

bunsenlabs

xubuntu

thanks!

Ryzen 7 1700X - Cryorig C7 - Gigabyte Gaming B450 Wifi - 16GB GSKILL Aegis DDR4-3000mghz - WD Black NVMe 250GB M.2 / WD Black 2.5 1TB HD - Gigabyte Radeon RX 580 8GB - FD Node 202

— Steve Wozniak

Any XFCE desktop should run fine on it. Peppermint would be my choice though, it is an amazing desktop imo

I'm running mint 19.1 with xfce on an old dell latitude 630 with an SSD and 4 gigs of ram with a core 2 duo. Runs well enough that I am happy enough to use it as back up and vacation system when we go camping etc. 

1 minute ago, DavidKalinowski said:

I'm running mint 19.1 with xfce on an old dell latitude 630 with an SSD and 4 gigs of ram with a core 2 duo. Runs well enough that I am happy enough to use it as back up and vacation system when we go camping etc. 

— Steve Wozniak

I'd say as first time distro and for the hardware you have Xubuntu is a good choice.  BunsenLabs is light, but the interface may be a bit of a shock for someone coming from Windows.

Try ZORIN OS Lite. It's really good and looks nice and would run on anything back to 2003.

lubuntu is also really light if you prefer a "classical" start menu