Dual-Tower Dual-Fan Cooler Setup Assistance Wanted

jiyeon

Hi, so I just recently got my new Deepcool Neptwin V2 dual tower air cooler and it's absolutely astounding in both performance and visuals.

As I was installing it, I had to take the fans off to reach the middle mounting bracket, but as I was putting them back on, I assumed they were both 4-pin PWM fans, but one is apparently 3-pin which perplexed me as to which heatsink I should be putting each one of these fans on.

I currently have my cooler set up as shown below, with the 4-pin fan in the center so it in theory can take more accurate temperature readings as it's being saturated by heat the most, compared to the 3-pin fan which at the current setup is only taking in cold air to give through the first heatsink.

I required a splitter which is why I'm asking as to whether the 4-pin should be in the middle or the front.

4-pin.png.2a2a5b7afd9f992aef04639c8a46ec83.png

Is having the 4-pin PWM fan efficient/appropriate? I feel like it should be there as the middle would be more responsible for monitoring the CPU temperatures and adjusting PWM speed accordingly?

I use a splitter like I said so both fans would be spinning at the same rate simultaneously regardless, but I'm not sure if having the 4-pin in front would affect any cooling?

I apologise if this post barely makes a lick of English, I've been quite caught up in languages study and my brain is fried.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

There are no temperature sensors in the fans, so why does it matter? The fan controller software is going to be reading the CPU package temperature to adjust the PWM duty.

Don't run that fans on the same splitter unless you want the 3pin running at max rpm with pwm or to control both with variable voltage.

Run them off of separate fan headers if possible for pwm and dc control respectively.

They're the same fans so it doesn't really make a difference which position you put them in. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

46 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Don't run that fans on the same splitter unless you want the 3pin running at max rpm with pwm or to control both with variable voltage.

Run them off of separate fan headers if possible for pwm and dc control respectively.

I'm all out of fan headers as is, my only two motherboard fan headers are already using splitters for my DC case fans. Splitting the CPU fan header was my only thought at the time.

Is there any reason I should be running the 3-pin off a different header from the 4-pin?

3 hours ago, seoz said:

Is there any reason I should be running the 3-pin off a different header from the 4-pin?

Non-PWM fans don't have the built-in IC to modulate the incoming 12v and will run at 100% rpm if you're trying to use PWM.

If the fans you're using aren't very power hungry, you can run a splitter from another splitter to group the DC fans. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

How the 3pin plug looks like?

[ · · · ]  ?

or

[ · · - · ]  ?

The 1st one is obviously a DC fan,

The 2nd one is PWM only doesnt have the RPM pin as the other (4pin) fan already sending the RPM signal for both fans.

Maybe what you meant is RPM reading/signal, not temperature.

I might be wrong here, so get more inputs from other people for better confirmation.

My system specs:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K, 5GHz Delidded LM || CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C14S w/ NF-A15 & NF-A14 Chromax fans in push-pull cofiguration || Motherboard: MSI Z370i Gaming Pro Carbon AC || RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2x8Gb 2666 || GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 6Gb FTW2+ DT || Storage: Samsung 860 Evo M.2 SATA SSD 250Gb, 2x 2.5" HDDs 1Tb & 500Gb || ODD: 9mm Slim DVD RW || PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum || Case: Cougar QBX + 1x Noctua NF-R8 front intake + 2x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC top exhaust + Cougar stock 92mm DC fan rear exhaust || Monitor: ASUS VG248QE || Keyboard: Ducky One 2 Mini Cherry MX Red || Mouse: Logitech G703 || Audio: Corsair HS70 Wireless || Other: XBox One S Controler

My build logs:

1 hour ago, _Hustler_One_ said:

How the 3pin plug looks like?

[ · · · ]  ?

or

[ · · - · ]  ?

The 1st one is obviously a DC fan,

The 2nd one is PWM only doesnt have the RPM pin as the other (4pin) fan already sending the RPM signal for both fans.

Maybe what you meant is RPM reading/signal, not temperature.

It looks like the first one, so it's indeed a DC fan. Sorry about my terminology, I'm not very versed in the specific terms.

11 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

Non-PWM fans don't have the built-in IC to modulate the incoming 12v and will run at 100% rpm if you're trying to use PWM.

According to HWMonitor, HWiNFO64, and my own UEFI BIOS, the CPU fan is running at 900RPM flat, would that not translate to the DC fan as well as it's being split or am I seeing it running at 100% right now?

Deepcool's website says the DC fan will run at 1300 RPM constant, and the PWM fan will run at 900-1500RPM constant.

In this case, would it be appropriate to keep the current setup with the DC Fan at the front to pull in more air than the PWM one? Or would it be best if I buy a 3-way splitter to match the Deepcool DC fan to two more of the case fans' speed?

10 hours ago, seoz said:

According to HWMonitor, HWiNFO64, and my own UEFI BIOS, the CPU fan is running at 900RPM flat, would that not translate to the DC fan as well as it's being split or am I seeing it running at 100% right now?

Or would it be best if I buy a 3-way splitter to match the Deepcool DC fan to two more of the case fans' speed?

Splitters only read the rpm from one of the fans. This is usually denoted by the first fan on the splitter and / or the lack of the 3rd pin for rpm on the other headers -- similar to the 2nd diagram @_Hustler_One_ showed.

Instead of a 3-way splitter, you could just plug a splitter into another splitter.