Random Latency Spikes

COTG

I just moved to a new apartment, and when I started up a game of league, I noticed a significant amount of lag every 5 or so seconds. I already tried resetting the router, unplugged it and let it sit for multiple times, and have confirmed that it is not my computers fault, as i have tried playing on another network, and everything is fine there. I followed an online guide for reducing latency, but I am a little unsure about my results and how to do something about them.

The thread in mention is https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/good-internet-random-ping-spikes.3282038/

I ran all of the three different prompts, and I have around 5% packet loss for all, low minimum ms, very high maximum ms of over 1000, and an average ms in the 70's.

Im just not entirely sure what to do now.
Any help would be appreciated!

5 hours ago, COTG said:

I just moved to a new apartment, and when I started up a game of league, I noticed a significant amount of lag every 5 or so seconds. I already tried resetting the router, unplugged it and let it sit for multiple times, and have confirmed that it is not my computers fault, as i have tried playing on another network, and everything is fine there. I followed an online guide for reducing latency, but I am a little unsure about my results and how to do something about them.

The thread in mention is https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/good-internet-random-ping-spikes.3282038/

I ran all of the three different prompts, and I have around 5% packet loss for all, low minimum ms, very high maximum ms of over 1000, and an average ms in the 70's.

Im just not entirely sure what to do now.
Any help would be appreciated!

Ethernet or WiFi? 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

8 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Ethernet or WiFi? 

Wifi

Just now, COTG said:

Wifi

8 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Ethernet or WiFi? 

But im about 6 meters away from the router with no walls in between. Can’t really run an ethernet cabling tho since the layout of the room doesent really allow for it

18 minutes ago, COTG said:

But im about 6 meters away from the router with no walls in between. Can’t really run an ethernet cabling tho since the layout of the room doesent really allow for it

Your using WiFi in a apartment building with probably every body and their mom using WiFi. The fact is that is your problem. Even with 5Ghz your probably going to get some interference. My guessing is what ever wireless channel you are using is over loaded. 

9 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Your using WiFi in a apartment building with probably every body and their mom using WiFi. The fact is that is your problem. Even with 5Ghz your probably going to get some interference. My guessing is what ever wireless channel you are using is over loaded. 

Sooo... I just went through a painstaking process of routing an Ethernet cable through my room without it being a complete trip trap and it turns out I still have the exact same latency. Is there a way to determine if the problem is with my router, or with the isp itself?

1 hour ago, COTG said:

Sooo... I just went through a painstaking process of routing an Ethernet cable through my room without it being a complete trip trap and it turns out I still have the exact same latency. Is there a way to determine if the problem is with my router, or with the isp itself?

Depends. If you have a separate Modem and Router, then you just plug directly in to the modem and see. If you have an all in one, that makes it harder. You could try running a trace route to something like Google and see what that results in.