Rambleed - Think RAM is safe? Nope

Sauron

A recent paper published by researchers of the university of Michigan demonstrates a possible use of the Rowhammer DRAM vulnerability to launch a side channel attack. The researchers call this exploit "Rambleed". The attack relies on reading Rowhammer induced bit flips in the memory to extrapolate neighboring values.

RAMBleed is a side-channel attack that enables an attacker to read out physical memory belonging to other processes. The implications of violating arbitrary privilege boundaries are numerous, and vary in severity based on the other software running on the target machine. As an example, in our paper we demonstrate an attack against OpenSSH in which we use RAMBleed to leak a 2048 bit RSA key. However, RAMBleed can be used for reading other data as well.

RAMBleed is based on a previous side channel called Rowhammer, which enables an attacker to flip bits in the memory space of other processes. We show in our paper that an attacker, by observing Rowhammer-induced bit flips in her own memory, can deduce the values in nearby DRAM rows. Thus, RAMBleed shifts Rowhammer from being a threat not only to integrity, but confidentiality as well.

The dedicated website offers a fairly detailed FAQ but the most important information would be how to defend yourself from this attack:

How can I mitigate this issue?

Users can mitigate their risk by upgrading their memory to DDR4 with targeted row refresh (TRR) enabled. While Rowhammer-induced bit flips have been demonstrated on TRR, it is harder to accomplish in practice.

Memory manufacturers can help mitigate this issue by more rigorously testing for faulty DIMMs. Furthermore, publicly documenting vendor specific TRR implementations will facilitate a stronger development process as security researchers probe such implementations for weaknesses.

Note that, unlike with "vanilla" Rowhammer, using ECC memory is not an effective mitigation on its own:

Does ECC (Error Correcting Code) memory prevent RAMBleed?

No! RAMBleed uses bit flips as a read side channel, and as such does not require bit flips to be persistent. Instead, the attacker merely needs to know that a bit flip occurred; the secret information leaks regardless of whether or not ECC corrects the flip.

If ECC corrects the flip, how can the attacker determine whether or not a bit has flipped in her memory? The attacker can read her memory and use the ECC timing side channel to determine if the bit flipped.

It is currently unknown whether this attack or even just Rowhammer has ever been exploited in the wild but if you work with extremely sensitive data upgrading to TRR memory may be worth it. This exploit IS theoretically viable over the internet and was used in the paper to extract a private SSH key from the "victim".

This looks like something manufacturers will have to take into consideration with DDR5; for the average user it may be premature to panic but this could lead to some quite nasty security breaches.

-addition-

as per the paper, this has been disclosed to major players and currently has a CVE id

Following the practice of responsible disclosure, we have notified Intel, AMD, OpenSSH, Microsoft, Apple, and RedHat about our findings. The results contained in this paper (and in particular our memory massaging technique) were assigned CVE-2019-0174 by Intel.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

2 minutes ago, Sauron said:

It is currently unknown whether this attack or even just Rowhammer has ever been exploited in the wild

2 minutes ago, Sauron said:

for the average user it may be premature to panic

Next day news headlines:

Computer Memory Allows Hackers To Read Your Passwords!

Never heard of TRR before. Is this something common in consumer ram?

QUOTE ME IF YOU WANT A REPLY!

PC #1

Ryzen 7 3700x@4.4ghz (All core) | MSI X470 Gaming Pro Carbon | Crucial Ballistix 2x16gb (OC 3600mhz)

MSI GTX 1080 8gb | SoundBlaster ZXR | Corsair HX850

Samsung 960 256gb | Samsung 860 1gb | Samsung 850 500gb

HGST 4tb, HGST 2tb | Seagate 2tb | Seagate 2tb

Custom CPU/GPU water loop

PC #2

Ryzen 7 1700@3.8ghz (All core) | Aorus AX370 Gaming K5 | Vengeance LED 3200mhz 2x8gb

Sapphire R9 290x 4gb | Asus Xonar DS | Corsair RM650

Samsung 850 128gb | Intel 240gb | Seagate 2tb

Corsair H80iGT AIO

Laptop

Core i7 6700HQ | Samsung 2400mhz 2x8gb DDR4

GTX 1060M 3gb | FiiO E10k DAC

Samsung 950 256gb | Sandisk Ultra 2tb SSD

9 minutes ago, BigDamn said:

Good question - it's hard to say because manufacturers don't usually list it as a feature. Samsung and Micron have announced in the past that their memory supports it but as far as I know there isn't a comprehensive list of what sticks do or don't support it. You'd have to contact the manufacturer directly to ask.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I guess my next build will have no RAM then.

Oh, and no CPU, to avoid the speculative execution stuff.

And no motherboard or storage, in case 3-letter agencies decide to install something in the firmware. 

At least I'll have plenty of room inside my case for RGB strips. xD

7 minutes ago, BigDamn said:

It's not a JEDEC requirement per se but some manufacturers implement it, Micron I'm pretty sure does.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

4 minutes ago, Captain Chaos said:

And no motherboard or storage, in case 3-letter agencies decide to install something in the firmware.

*clears throat*

RISC-V

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.7e478b1069fa7f57c353c22e54972cca.png

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

11 minutes ago, Captain Chaos said:

I guess my next build will have no RAM then.

At least I'll have plenty of room inside my case for RGB strips. xD

At least GPUs are safe.

Goddammit nevermind.

Image result for here we go again

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

7 hours ago, Sauron said:

It is currently unknown whether this attack or even just Rowhammer has ever been exploited in the wild but if you work with extremely sensitive data upgrading to TRR memory may be worth it. This exploit IS theoretically viable over the internet and was used in the paper to extract a private SSH key from the "victim".

So, uhh, what are my options again to mitigate this if my PC won't take DDR4? (because Haswell).

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

4 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

So, uhh, what are my options again to mitigate this if my PC won't take DDR4? (because Haswell).

ECC would be about the best you could do if both your specific Haswell and the motherboard support it.

I feel like posting a google drive link to all my data just to get it over with lol.

10 hours ago, Sauron said:

*clears throat*

RISC-V

Reveal hidden contents

image.thumb.png.7e478b1069fa7f57c353c22e54972cca.png

Why the hell would anyone use that? It has "risk" in its name ffs...

3 hours ago, justpoet said:

ECC would be about the best you could do if both your specific Haswell and the motherboard support it.

Which requires a Xeon V3 . ECC support has never been supported on any desktop CPU during the Core series. 

You can get Xeon-D's for ECC for budget systems, but that's basically not an option for gamers. If you want ECC and want to game, you have to get Workstation board to get ECC.

4 hours ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Upgrade to Ryzen 3k ?‍♂️ or don't worry about it, this isn't very easy to exploit and we don't know of any actual attempts of doing so in the wild.

4 hours ago, justpoet said:

As I mentioned ECC doesn't really help against this so even if they could upgrade to that it would be a waste of money.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

So... could a fake ad with javascript code use this to read, say, our mail cookies and take control of our address?

How hard would it be for an attacker if he can make some unknown guy run his code, but does not know anything about such person?

Do you think VPSes will be susceptible to it? I mean, you often get assigned 8 GB of RAM, so it could be a continuous 8GB, which would limit access to your data, or it doesn't matter at all?

2 minutes ago, Loote said:

So... could a fake ad with javascript code use this to read, say, our mail cookies and take control of our address?

In theory, yes. In practice it's highly unlikely.

2 minutes ago, Loote said:

How hard would it be for an attacker if he can make some unknown guy run his code, but does not know anything about such person?

If you willingly run native code it would be difficult but quite feasible.

3 minutes ago, Loote said:

Do you think VPSes will be susceptible to it? I mean, you often get assigned 8 GB of RAM, so it could be a continuous 8GB, which would limit access to your data, or it doesn't matter at all?

Red Hat says hypervisors don't help so a VPS would also be vulnerable.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Users can mitigate their risk by upgrading their memory to DDR4 with targeted row refresh (TRR) enabled.

So press F to all PCs with DDR3 and below? 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

2 hours ago, captain_to_fire said:

So press F to all PCs with DDR3 and below? 

DDR2 and DDR are not affected by Rowhammer.

But yes, DDR3 systems have no way of defending themselves against this. As I said it's probably not a huge deal for the average user but still.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

3 minutes ago, Arika S said:

Page file master race

they'll come after your cpu cache next!

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

This is what you'll get when you're downloading RAM.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

42 minutes ago, CTR640 said:

This is what you'll get when you're downloading RAM.

But how else am I supposed to speed up my system?

I'm pretty sure my purpose in life is to serve as a warning for others.