CAT8 Ethernet Cables

CAT8 Ethernet Cables

(40Gbps 2000Mhz)

shopping.jpeg.7c8c7a778224a891563f67b05e1439d6.jpeg

... where have you been all my life!

For many years, have run a small home network, consisting of the usual stuff, printers, games consoles, NAS, network switch ,Apple TV's, Amazon Fire TV's etc etc

Always like to keep ahead of the game when it comes to overall network and internet speeds.

shopping-2.jpeg.9b2f753079b76f0a27da100bb330fe3b.jpeg

However to my detriment, was still employing CAT5 cabling, which I foolishly thought wouldn't play much of a part in overall network performance...how wrong I was!

Saw a good deal on Amazon the other day and snagged a selection of CAT8 cables for our home.

OMG what a difference it made!

icon.png.a238e28e4035f9ca727f070ecf8c4503.png

Game latency vastly improved, overall ping rates and network jitter way down! File transfer speeds maxed out and stable, heck even firing up GlobalProtect VPN (I work remotely on Wednesdays) was much snappier.

user-group-discussion-icon-32542.png.2e9852b876f2a39181d2f3a8c2b63060.png

Discuss... anyone else running CAT7 OR 8 cabling?  Any tips or tricks to tweak networking hardware to take advantage?

Lol this feels like an ad :D

Quote and/or tag people using @ otherwise they don't get notified of your response!

The HUMBLE Computer:

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X • Noctua NH-U12A • ASUS STRIX X570-F • Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16 • GIGABYTE Nvidia GTX1080 G1 • FRACTAL DESIGN Define C w/ blue Meshify C front • Corsair RM750x (2018) • OS: Kingston KC2000 1TB GAMES: Intel 660p 1TB DATA: Seagate Desktop 2TB • Acer Predator X34P 34" 3440x1440p 120 Hz IPS curved Ultrawide • Corsair STRAFE RGB Cherry MX Brown • Logitech G502 HERO / Logitech MX Master 3

Notebook:  HP Spectre x360 13" late 2018

Core i7 8550U • 16GB DDR3 RAM • 512GB NVMe SSD • 13" 1920x1080p 120 Hz IPS touchscreen • dual Thunderbolt 3

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSiKY5h4ADOxKQGMmTuBi-

There is no enemy. The foe on the battlefield is merely the manifestation of that which we must overcome. The doubt, and fear, and despair. Every battle is fought within. Conquer the battlefield that lies inside you, and the enemy disappears like the illusion it is.

1 minute ago, Denned said:

You could have saved a ton of money and gone with cat5e or cat6 and had the same experience. You're just running 1gig insead of 100mbit

Not really, the CAT8 cables were really good value (less than £10 for 5 meters) and with the previous CAT5E cables, the NIC connection speeds were 1gig  anyway!  The post was more of an observation as to how much better overall network latency is with the higher category cables ?

Well considering Cat7 has no official TIA/EIA standard and just ISO, it can range greatly in terms of quality since it doesn't have to meet any electrical specs. Cat8 cable currently falls in the same boat in that it's not a finalized standard yet so anyone selling it, especially for cheap, is probably ripping you off and selling you junk cables.

Also, cables don't impact jitter or latency unless they are REALLY REALLY bad and dealing with terrible EMI.

Edit:

Well it looks like Cat8 was officially standardized in 2017-ish

https://www.flukenetworks.com/knowledge-base/applicationstandards-articles-copper/category-8-cabling-fact-sheet

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

2 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Also, cables don't impact jitter or latency unless they are REALLY REALLY bad and dealing with terrible EMI.

Wouldn't be running at gigabit-speeds, then, but OP claims their network was running at gigabit already, so..... all I'm seeing is a situation similar to all those HiFi-people who buy $1000 Monster HDMI-cables for their home-theater setups.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

1 minute ago, WereCatf said:

Wouldn't be running at gigabit-speeds, then, but OP claims their network was running at gigabit already, so..... all I'm seeing is a situation similar to all those HiFi-people who buy $1000 Monster HDMI-cables for their home-theater setups.

Yah, unless they had it next to super high voltage power lines and the new cable was really well shielded and the old one was really poorly shielded but I doubt that.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

2 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

These ones right?

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

Wow, a lot of doubting Thomas's here!  No love people ?  Was just excited to post my experience on plopping in some new higher cat cables is all!

There is probably a touch of the placebo effect here granted, but in general have notified overall improvements so Im happy, so shush ?

1 minute ago, Graham Carter said:

Wow, a lot of doubting Thomas's here!  No love people ?  Was just excited to post my experience on plopping in some new higher cat cables is all!

There is probably a touch of the placebo effect here granted, but in general have notified overall improvements so Im happy, so shush ?

I mean if you're happy about your purchase then all power to you, but next time maybe ask b e f o r e to find out that you want to spend a whole lot more than necessary.

Quote and/or tag people using @ otherwise they don't get notified of your response!

The HUMBLE Computer:

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X • Noctua NH-U12A • ASUS STRIX X570-F • Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16 • GIGABYTE Nvidia GTX1080 G1 • FRACTAL DESIGN Define C w/ blue Meshify C front • Corsair RM750x (2018) • OS: Kingston KC2000 1TB GAMES: Intel 660p 1TB DATA: Seagate Desktop 2TB • Acer Predator X34P 34" 3440x1440p 120 Hz IPS curved Ultrawide • Corsair STRAFE RGB Cherry MX Brown • Logitech G502 HERO / Logitech MX Master 3

Notebook:  HP Spectre x360 13" late 2018

Core i7 8550U • 16GB DDR3 RAM • 512GB NVMe SSD • 13" 1920x1080p 120 Hz IPS touchscreen • dual Thunderbolt 3

8 minutes ago, Graham Carter said:

Wow, a lot of doubting Thomas's here!

It's not doubt. I am using bog-standard, no-name, generic CAT5e - cabling and I am getting ~113MB/s transfer-speeds on it without literally any attempts at tweaking my network, which just goes to prove that you don't benefit from more expensive cables unless you've got some serious EMI - issues, in which case just going for better-shielded cables would help.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

15 minutes ago, Graham Carter said:

seemed more like shameless shilling to me.

There is no enemy. The foe on the battlefield is merely the manifestation of that which we must overcome. The doubt, and fear, and despair. Every battle is fought within. Conquer the battlefield that lies inside you, and the enemy disappears like the illusion it is.