Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Gerr

8GB RAM enough for this home server?

Posted · Original PosterOP

I am using spare parts to build a 2nd home server.  It isn't powerful, only an E3-1226v3 CPU on an ITX Q87 mobo with 8GB of laptop DDR3-1600 RAM.  It doesn't need to be very powerful as all it's doing is running Blue Iris(NVR) for a single 1080p IP camera and will also be my backup server.  It's running Windows 10 Pro and has Acronis on it with multiple single HDD's for backup storage.  My main server is my NAS & Plex server running Windows 2016 Server Essentials.  This backup server pulls the data from the main server's shares over the network to be backed up.  This way, there are no shares on this system that could be infected if my main server gets hit with some malware that encrypts everything.

With that being said, since I am using spare parts, my backup server only had 8GB of RAM.  I was wondering if that was enough, or if I should really take it up to 16GB, which is the max for this board?

You'll be fine, I have a NAS with an ARM CPU and only 1GB of RAM recording from three 1080p cameras with no issues at all.

Desktop: i7 7700K @ 4.7Ghz, 16GB DDR4, Cooler Master H80i v2, 500GB M.2 SSD, Fractal Focus G *white* case, Sapphire RX 590 8GB

Laptop: Eluktronics Mech 15 G2, i7 8750H, 1060 6GB, 16GB DDR4, 480GB Nvme SSD, 144hz panel  

Laptop: Alienware 18 (2014). I7 4930MX @ 4.1GHz, 16GB RAM, 500GB 840Evo, 1TB HDD, GTX 980m 8GB  **Broken**

Laptop: Origin Eon11s. i7 3820QM, GT 650M 2GB, 120GB SSD, 16GB DDR3 RAM, 11.6in 768p display  **Dismantled**

Yes it would be more than enough. That cpu is too powerfull for the usage.

3 minutes ago, Theguywhobea said:

You'll be fine, I have a NAS with an ARM CPU and only 1GB of RAM recording from three 1080p cameras with no issues at all.

NAS enclosure, the OS doesn't need that much memory, unlike windows.

Posted · Original PosterOP

I might add more IP camera's in the future, so the extra CPU horsepower might be used.  Plus it's what I had available.