How do I install an older Windows with a VM?

nieblas008

I've been looking for a way to play videogames on my old PC until I get new components, but my current processor doesn't have graphics drivers on Windows 10. One solution is putting another drive on my PC with either Windows 7, 8 or 8.1, which I have currently done with Windows 8. Problem is, I miss having all other apps and settings of Windows 10, so I've been trying to install Windows 8.1 on a VM, but I just can´t pull it off. I already know how to set a virtual machine, I just don't know how to install an ISO to it. Can anyone recommend me a video or something that could help me? Thanks in advance.

What program are you using? What apps does Windows 10 have that Windows 8 doesn't?

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

4 minutes ago, SenpaiKaplan said:

What program are you using? What apps does Windows 10 have that Windows 8 doesn't?

I might get blasted by some people, but I use Microsoft Edge, and I like the design of Windows 10 a Little bit more. That and I'm lazy to set another OS, I would just install the videogames I want to play.

No, you will not be able to install Windows 7/8 in a VM and install GPU drivers.

You will need to install 7/8 as your main OS and run 10 in the VM.

24 minutes ago, nieblas008 said:

I might get blasted by some people, but I use Microsoft Edge, and I like the design of Windows 10 a Little bit more. That and I'm lazy to set another OS, I would just install the videogames I want to play.

You can download edge off the Microsoft Store... No? I think you can.

23 minutes ago, KarathKasun said:

No, you will not be able to install Windows 7/8 in a VM and install GPU drivers.

You will need to install 7/8 as your main OS and run 10 in the VM.

Incorrect. He's just going about it wrong. He would need to do a KVM in Linux and pass through his GPU to the VM that way.

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

5 minutes ago, SenpaiKaplan said:

You can download edge off the Microsoft Store... No? I think you can.

Incorrect. He's just going about it wrong. He would need to do a KVM in Linux and pass through his GPU to the VM that way.

Cant do that on a single GPU unless you use SSH to control everything last I checked.

To do passthrough you need two GPUs at minimum, usually onboard/IGP and an add-in card is used.

2 minutes ago, KarathKasun said:

Cant do that on a single GPU unless you use SSH to control everything last I checked.

To do passthrough you need two GPUs at minimum, usually onboard/IGP and an add-in card is used.

Well, this is something I don't understand, but I only have an iGPU, Intel HD Graphics 2000, and I probably don't need graphics drivers, but I can't install Java on Windows 10

2 minutes ago, nieblas008 said:

Well, this is something I don't understand, but I only have an iGPU, Intel HD Graphics 2000, and I probably don't need graphics drivers, but I can't install Java on Windows 10

That IGP has W10 usable drivers.

And Java installs on W10.

Use the Windows 8 driver on Windows 10, it should work.  You just do not get DX12 support AFAIK.

2 minutes ago, KarathKasun said:

Use the Windows 8 driver on Windows 10, it should work.  You just do not get DX12 support AFAIK.

hmm… Imma do that