Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Le Roi Poney

Cpu upgrade for cpu intensive games

Thanks for all the answers,

i'll wait and see how the 3600 perform and choose between this one and the i5 9600k 

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hi,

I'm looking for some frendly advice. I'm planning a cpu/mobo/ram upgrade in the near futur.

Currently my system is :

Intel Core i5-4460 (3.2 GHz)

Gigabyte GA-H81M-S1 Motherboard

8 gb of DDR3 ram (1600 mhz single chanel)

GALAX GTX 970 

What i do on my pc is mostly gaming but more CPU intensive ones like MMOs (specialy World of Warcraft) and other online games like Smite, Dota, Battlerite, Divinity 2, Starcraft, Overwatch, Destiny etc... i do not play a lot of triple A games.

(i will also change the gpu to something like a RTX 2080 but probably early 2020)

I don't want to spend more than 600 euros for CPU + mobo + ram so i came out with this 2 systems :

--- an amd one with ryzen 7 2700x https://www.topachat.com/pages/configomatic.php?c=hK0%2Bp0NHpqeWbhyVADHMfs%2FYTWfsvUTHdgMA6N%2BUgGQ%3D

--- and an intel one with i5 9600k https://www.topachat.com/pages/configomatic.php?c=47pP66IiXYuTHfahxATrLq9xY95Y%2FFE%2FjtNpV1btEqM%3D

So which one do you think is better for me ? Or do you have any other cpu suggestions that fit my budget ?

Thanks and pardon my english i'm sending this from France :D

Edit : Forgot to say that i play at 1440p on a 144 Hz screen.

Personally, i would wait a bit (july 7th) and buy a Ryzen 5 3600. It costs less than R7 2700x and it has waaaay better single core performance.

If your mind is fixed, then i would recommend R7 2700X

9 minutes ago, _SAITAMA_ said:

Personally, i would wait a bit (july 7th) and buy a Ryzen 5 3600. It costs less than R7 2700x and it has waaaay better single core performance.

If your mind is fixed, then i would recommend R7 2700X

Agree.

Though, if you cant wait a month, the 9600K overclocked to 5ghz is the only thing to look at for maximum game performance.

If you can wait for Ryzen 3000 series, 3600 will probably be the best choice.

Have you 100% written off a 4770/4790K and another stick of RAM and that 2080?

EDIT - Nevermind, I see H81, so maybe a 4790K would be a waste on that MOBO...

5 minutes ago, TheGlenlivet said:

Have you 100% written off a 4770/4790K and another stick of RAM and that 2080?

With a budget of ~$500, that does not make much sense.  4c/8t CPUs are already falling behind in games.

I say this from experience with my current main rig, a 4.4ghz 2600k with 32gb of DDR3 2133.  Its not that far off in performance from a 4770k.

1 minute ago, KarathKasun said:

With a budget of ~$500, that does not make much sense.  4c/8t CPUs are already falling behind in games.

I'd argue for the games he plays it would be fine, but I edited after realizing he will be held back by this current motherboard.  It seems Ryzen is the way forward.

8 minutes ago, TheGlenlivet said:

I'd argue for the games he plays it would be fine, but I edited after realizing he will be held back by this current motherboard.  It seems Ryzen is the way forward.

The i5 is it if you were to make a purchase right now.  R5 3600 would be the only other option.

2700x has pretty large performance deficits for ST heavy games in comparison. (looking at WoW here)

Now, if the OP also did lots of game streaming or video editing, the 2700x would make some sense.

Posted · Original PosterOP · Best Answer

Thanks for all the answers,

i'll wait and see how the 3600 perform and choose between this one and the i5 9600k