Need to set up a forum, some advice please

I belong to a small group of local people, none of whom are computer savvy. I've been asked to set up some kind of forum (like this, but much more simple) for posts and meeting suggestions, etc, but I've really no idea how to start/where to turn.

Suggestions?

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

8 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

I belong to a small group of local people, none of whom are computer savvy. I've been asked to set up some kind of forum (like this, but much more simple) for posts and meeting suggestions, etc, but I've really no idea how to start/where to turn.

Suggestions?

How about starting from what are the requirements, eh? Say, how many people would it have to handle? Would people be allowed to just register an account there, would an admin to have to vet any registration-attempts, or would an admin handle creating the accounts for the people?

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Why not just a Facebook group? A forum is quite the headache, if 2013 Linus and Luke are to be believed

I once gave Luke and Linus pizza.

Proud member of the ITX club.

**SCRAPYARD WARS!!!!**

#BringBackLuke

What's the budget like and who would be footing the bill and how would any long-term costs be handled?

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

1 minute ago, VegetableStu said:

... kinda want this as a retroactive question to linus and luke today ?

@Linus @Slick @. Who am I kidding

I once gave Luke and Linus pizza.

Proud member of the ITX club.

**SCRAPYARD WARS!!!!**

#BringBackLuke

2 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

... kinda want this as a retroactive question to linus and luke today ?

try @ ing them  maybe if u need to but yes a discord server server would probably be best as NinJake has said

Please quote or tag  @Ben17 if you want to see a reply.

If I don't reply it's probly because I am in a different time zone or haven't seen your message yet but I will reply when I see it ? 

16 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

How about starting from what are the requirements, eh? Say, how many people would it have to handle? Would people be allowed to just register an account there, would an admin to have to vet any registration-attempts, or would an admin handle creating the accounts for the people?

Also @VegetableStu @Ben17 @LukeLinusFanFic @NinJake 

Apologies.

Say 25 members. No facebook (I flatly refuse to use FB) 

I will handle all billing, might host on AWS or something (open to suggestions)

As well as be an admin and vet folk (via e.mail confirmation) but since I know everyone, vetting/email conf shouldn't be that big a deal.

These people are not computer savvy, Discord/Slack is going to confuse them.

I wanted a forum so posts could be "stickyed" or otherwise made permanent.

Wasn't sure if there were any "ready-made" forum packages out there that were more or less plug 'n play...

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

4 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

I wanted a forum so posts could be "stickyed" or otherwise made permanent.

Wasn't sure if there were any "ready-made" forum packages out there that were more or less plug 'n play...

There are plenty of such things out there, like e.g. this link has 10 pretty good choices -- of those, bbPress, Discourse and Vanilla are ones I feel are reasonably good. As for hosting, OVH, for example, offers quite reasonable pricing for their VPS-services. I've used their VPS myself in the past.

9 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

Discourse

Discourse is free, and looks pretty nice. Now that I have a starting point, I can practice and test and see if it will suit my (modest) needs

Thank you for this.

What about createaforum?

7 minutes ago, Mr. horse said:

What about createaforum?

I'm listening....tell me more