HaveIBeenPwned looks to get Owned - Tory Hunt to sell off HIBP due to increasing burnout

rcmaehl

Sources:
Gizmodo
HaveIBeenPwned

Summary:
Troy Hunt, the single man running the entire HaveIBeenPwned show, is looking to sell HaveIBeenPwned to prevent burn-out.

Media:
image-10.png
image-1.png

Quotes/Excerpts:

Troy Hunt revealed on Tuesday that he is planning to sell his data breach service Have I Been Pwned (HIPB). The platform has played a significant roll in informing the public of several of the largest data breaches in recent history, by both breaking news about the hacks and allowing people to enter their email addresses to see if they were affected. Hunt explained the reasons for his decisions and hopes for the future of the platform. “It’s time to go from that one guy doing what he can in his available time to a better-resourced and better-funded structure that’s able to do way more than what I ever could on my own,” HIBP now has almost 3 million subscribers for notifications. The site usually gets around 150,000 unique visits on a typical day, and 10 million unique visits on an “abnormal day.” Traffic spiked in January when he broke the news of the behemoth “Collection #1” breach that exposed 773 million emails and 21 million passwords. Since then, the site has continued to grow and Hunt has come to the realization he “was getting very close to burn-out.” Now he’s ready to hand much of the workload off. Hunt said he is laying the groundwork for acquisition and has had some early talks with organizations who may be interested in acquiring HIBP. Two blog commenters asked Hunt if Mozilla was a possible contender. “Being a party that’s already dependent on HIBP, I reached out to them in advance of this blog post and have spoken with them,” Hunt responded in the comments. “I can’t go into more detail than that just now, but certainly their use of the service is enormously important to me.” Hunt insists that whatever happens to HIBP it will continue to allow consumers to search it for free, and Hunt will remain involved. He hopes to grow the platform so that it can help services better protect their customers, and so it can provide more disclosures. Hunt told Gizmodo that since he posted the blog a few organizations have reached out to him asking to be part of the merger and acquisition process. “It’s heartening to see how much interest is out there firstly in terms of support for HIBP, but secondly because it’s going to give me the best possible selection of organizations to choose from,”  “I’ve been agonizing over the right way to do this all year and indeed I’ve been drafting today’s blog post for most of that time,” Hunt told Gizmodo. “I’m so enormously happy with the feedback today and the ‘liked’ tweets on my profile perfectly illustrate the community sentiment. People understand the need for HIBP to grow into a more sustainable model and they see the potential in doing so.”

My Thoughts:

My concerns, along with others is that HIBP will become premium or "freemium". Granted, I can understand server bandwidth costs money, however I would make to see, at the very least, the current services remain free. Mozilla has noted that it would be interested in acquisition and I would be all for that. I'm sure other companies such as the Free Software Foundation, Electronic Frontier Foundation, and other notable security/privacy activist groups are also battling it out for a stake in the website. Regardless, I'm glad Troy will be able to get a break. Running such a large and popular site by yourself is definitely rough and I can understand that he's getting burnt out. I'm interested to see what the future holds for HIBP. 

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

BTW, I haven't been able to come up with a eye catchy title for this one. If anyone has any ideas let me know.

Edit: @ElfenSky had the best suggestion in my opinion. So I'll be going with that

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

20 minutes ago, rcmaehl said:

BTW, I haven't been able to come up with a eye catchy title for this one. If anyone has any ideas let me know.

HaveIBeenBoughtOut? (Clickbait-y)

On the Hunt for a [Partner, Company, whatever fits here]

Troy Hunt Pro Pwn Checker 4

Just some ideas

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

8 minutes ago, rcmaehl said:

HaveIBeenPwned looks to get Owned.

“I like being alone. I have control over my own shit. Therefore, in order to win me over, your presence has to feel better than my solitude. You're not competing with another person, you are competing with my comfort zones.”  - portfolio - twitter - instagram - youtube

8 minutes ago, rcmaehl said:

HaveIBeenPwnd to be pawned off :P

Hope that he hands his project off to some instance that keeps the way it works now.

New to Star Citizen? Look no further!

Am I the only one that thinks it's a little dodgy that he's selling it? This site was always about the community and bettering the (internet) world. It's not like he didn't get anything out of it either, he rode the wave of publicity he constantly gets to make a very successful career. He even ghost flexes his wealth in his blog.

I'd be ok with Mozilla buying it.

I don't think the FSF cares, it promotes free software, not necessarily security or privacy. They usually go hand in hand but I think RMS would be against non-free software even if it were more secure; plus the pwned websites are often absolutely proprietary.

Spoiler

image.png.fbffa433aec1ae4582e5e219c3f4596c.png

2 minutes ago, schwellmo92 said:

Am I the only one that thinks it's a little dodgy that he's selling it? This site was always about the community and bettering the (internet) world. It's not like he didn't get anything out of it either, he rode the wave of publicity he constantly gets to make a very successful career. He even ghost flexes his wealth in his blog.

I think it's the responsible choice if he doesn't think he'll be able to keep up with it.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

7 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

any respected Computer Science department of a university (again, but...)(also maybe multiple universities. either together or separately)

Yo, I heard some Cambridge company is trustworthy.

Spoiler

Obligatory I know what is the difference

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

30 minutes ago, Sauron said:

I think it's the responsible choice if he doesn't think he'll be able to keep up with it.

He could give it away.. why does he have to sell it?

4 minutes ago, schwellmo92 said:

Maybe he already tried and felt he wasn't into it anymore. Regardless I don't see the harm in selling it so long as the buyer has the same interest at heart.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

6 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

inb4 Elon Musk

(lol but seriously though ._.)

That's one buyer I would not be ok with ?

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 hour ago, rcmaehl said:

The original PawnHub is for sale!

The key is going to be in the legal requirements for keeping privacy/security at hand in the future.  There are a LOT of legitimate, and now verified, users and lists there that any hacker (or even marketer) would love to have.

Seeing it go to somebody like Mozilla or EFF would be pretty awesome, though I don't see those being a way for him to highly monetize his efforts, which he may want to do, at least in the "give me a salary and benefits since I'm staying involved" sense.

On 6/13/2019 at 2:20 AM, schwellmo92 said:

Also far better he sell it (even if it's a paltry sum) than to shutter the doors and lose the important resource.

image.png.880ac104e14c30917c9b4012bdd4cb33.png

On 6/13/2019 at 2:54 AM, schwellmo92 said:

Because... Why wouldn't you sell it? By the way the article is written it sounds like he'll have clauses around it's use (has to remain free & open, etc) and he's staying on-board as well.

So basically he's making sure that his vision of HIBP continues, but someone else will own and fun the project.

On 6/12/2019 at 3:38 PM, Bouzoo said:

Yo, I heard some Cambridge company is trustworthy.

I'd bet they'd be really analytical of every piece of data they collect too.

System 1: Gigabyte Aorus B450 Pro, Ryzen 5 2600X, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3200mhz, Sapphire 5700XT, 250GB NVME WD Black, 2x Crucial MX5001TB, 2x Seagate 3TB, H115i AIO, Sharkoon BW9000 case with corsair ML fans, EVGA G2 Gold 650W Modular PSU, liteon bluray/dvd/rw.. NO RGB aside from MB and AIO pump. Triple 27" Monitor setup (1x 144hz, 2x 75hz, all freesync/freesync 2)

System 2: Asus M5 MB, AMD FX8350, 16GB DDR3, Sapphire RX580, 30TB of storage, 250GB SSD, Silverstone HTPC chassis, Corsair 550W Modular PSU, Noctua cooler, liteon bluray/dvd/rw, 4K HDR display (Samsung TV)

System 3 & 4: nVidia shield TV (2017 & 2019) Pro with extra 128GB samsung flash drives.

welp geuss I don't care never used it

I live in misery USA. my timezone is central daylight time which is either UTC -5 or -4 because the government hates everyone.

into trains? here's the model railroad thread!

oh no he's going to sell that thing he made for money god help us 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

13 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

oh no he's going to sell that thing he made for money god help us 

Those damn capitalistic ideas of selling things for money will doom us all!!

:D

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

As long as he sells it to an organization like Mozilla or the EFF, I'm all for it. They have better resources to sustain something like this in the long term anyway.