Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SRRAE

Need more help with CPU at 100%

Posted · Original PosterOP

A few months ago I posted about my CPU staying at 100% and I need further help as it keeps happening.

Here is a list of the strange symptoms:

• The process which takes all CPU power is random and changes and isn't usually just one process taking 100% but 5-10 process each taking between 40%-10% each.
  • Ending a process which is taking a lot of CPU does nothing as the load is put on another process.
  • It can be resolved by changing the power plan, for example, at the moment balanced power plan is causing 100% usage but performance plan is working correctly.
  • This is not a perm fix as early as last night, it was only the Ryzen balanced power plan which was causing the issue, now the standard balanced power plan is doing the same.
  • I can "fix" the power plan by clicking the "restore default settings for this plan" on the balanced power plan and the CPU starts behaving correctly, however this is short lived and the CPU goes back 100% as little as 15 mins later even when nothing has happened on the computer, I just left it there with task manager on screen.
  • The CPU is running at 100% its not just reporting incorrectly.  I can see the voltage go up and the clock speed go from 2.2Ghz to 4Ghz.  CPU temperatures rise too.
  • When the CPU is running at 100% it doesn't seem to affect performance in any noticeable way.  Ie, if I run something CPU heavy that process is fine in taking the processing power.
  • I have reinstalled Windows from fresh and each time wither weeks or months later it starts doing it again.
  • Last time I did a clean install updated drivers and then created a backup image. Last night I restored to that image and while doing the first lot of windows updates the 100% CPU thing started happening again.
  • All that is installed are official games and official applications, like MS Office.
  • I have paid for bitdefender and after a 16 hour scan of all my files and drives it found nothing untoward.
  • I dont use IE and have solely used Opera, Chrome and Firefox on different occasions and still this happens
  • I use built in adblockers and I block all cookies unless they are added to a permission list.

Does anyone know of any tools I can use to try and figure out what is causing this to happen all the time?

Thanks

Stuart

Posted · Original PosterOP

WTF. It seems it was Opera Browser causing the issue.

If I open Opera it seems to infect that power plan causing the 100% CPU. Even when Opera is closed and reboot the CPU doesn't return to normal.   it is only when I reset the power plan to default settings does the CPU return to normal However, what ever power plan is active when I open Opera, it seems to infect it to use 100%.
I've even uninstalled Opera deleted every file and folder associated to it, reinstall and it happens again.

I have no idea what it does, as the Ryzen power plan still causes 100% CPU as that one doesn't have an option to return to default settings. 

Are these settings stored in the Registry somewhere?  I'd like to know if the options displayed in the power plan gui is the same in the resistry.

P.S. I've moved to Firefox

Power plans has nothing with Your problem. As seen on video you posted, CPU is spiking to 100% (virus, bad drivers, broken system ?). In such situation, even super computer will be overloaded.

Reinstall Windows. CPU at iddle should not work at more then 1% even in power save plan. Check CPU usage after every program installation and You will find the offender.

things to try -

1) disconnect from the internet - if loads go down, its probably a malware or virus doing shit in the background using your network.

2) try doing a clean boot - if all is normal, try re-enabling the non microsoft services one by one to find the culprit.

3) try setting the security options for any program that's causing high cpu load, set it to deny for all users under its properties.