• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
r2724r16

$10,000 later, an Apple Store Genius diagnoses a $0 MacBook Pro Problem

Posted · Original PosterOP

$10,000 later, an Apple Store Genius diagnoses a $0 MacBook Pro Problem

Link: https://9to5mac.com/2019/06/11/macbook-pro-problem/amp/

Sorry if this is not worthy of its own thread, but I just think it's hilarious.

CPU: Intel® Xeon® X5675 @ 4.62 GHz 1.4V Motherboard: ASUS P6X58-E WS (BCLK: 201 MHz) CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 & Noctua NA-SRC10 RAM: Crucial DDR3-1606 8-11-11-28 (2x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce® GTX 770 DirectCU II SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDD: WD Green 3.5" 1TB (7.2K RPM) PSU: Corsair AX860i & White CableMod ModFlex™ Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Monitor: Samsung S24D390 23.6" 1080p 60Hz 250 nit PLS (OC'd to 75Hz) Keyboard: Logitech G710+ (Cherry MX Browns) Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Racing Wheel: Logitech G27

Model: ASUS ROG G750JW CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-4700HQ @ 3.4GHz GPU: NVIDIA GeForce® GTX 765M RAM: DDR3-1600 11-11-11-28 (3x4GB) SSD: SanDisk SSD Plus 2.5" 120GB HDD: Toshiba 2.5" 750GB (5.4K RPM) Display: 17.3" 1080p 60Hz 350 nit TN Monitor: Dell E2418HN 24" 1080p 60Hz 250 nit IPS Battery: 88 Wh Mouse: Logitech MK235

That's an amazing lack of critical thinking, damn.

“I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character.” - Martin Luther King Jr.

The Desktops

Main Rig: CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K | RAM: 16GB DDR4-2400 | Motherboard: Asus Strix Z270E | Storage: 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x1TB HDD | GPU: GTX 1080 Strix O8G

Cooling: Dual 240mm AIOs | Case: Fractal Design Meshify C (modified) | PSU: EVGA GS 550W

VR Rig: CPU: Intel Core i5-3570 | RAM: 8GB DDR3-1600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 | Storage: 256GB SSD + 750GB HDD | GPU: GTX 1060 6GB SSC Cooling: 92mm Tower Cooler Push/Pull | Case: Silverstone GD09B | PSU: Cooler Master Silent Pro M 700W | HMD: Oculus Rift CV1 with 2 sensors

Server: CPU: 2x Intel Xeon E5645 | RAM: 16GB DDR3-1333 ECC | Motherboard: Supermicro X8DAi | GPU: Sparkle GTX 550 Ti

Cooling: 92mm Tower Cooler, Zalman CNPS9900MAX-R | Storage: 1TB HDD | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX TG | PSU: Corsair CX550M

X230 Frankenstein | CPU: Intel Core i5-3210M | RAM: 8GB DDR3-1600 | Storage: 256GB SSD | GPU: Intel HD 4000 | Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper T2 (modified) | Case: Amazon 1A7 Cardboard Box

The Portables

Lenovo X230: CPU: Intel Core i5-3210M | RAM: 4GB DDR3-1600 | Storage: 128GB SSD | GPU: Intel HD 4000 | Lenovo 44+ 84Wh Battery

MacBook Air (Early 2015, A1466) 13": CPU: Intel Core i5-5250M | RAM: 4GB DDR3-1600 | Storage: 256GB SSD | GPU: Intel HD 6000

iPhone XS Max 64GB Space Grey | Apple Watch Series 2 42mm | AirPods (2nd Generation)

Posted · Original PosterOP
Just now, TempestCatto said:

They'll replace a whole ass motherboard and cpu when it's just a simple ribbon cable. It's what they do best: scam.

I don't think it's Apple scamming people. It's just that its employees are not GENIUS.

CPU: Intel® Xeon® X5675 @ 4.62 GHz 1.4V Motherboard: ASUS P6X58-E WS (BCLK: 201 MHz) CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 & Noctua NA-SRC10 RAM: Crucial DDR3-1606 8-11-11-28 (2x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce® GTX 770 DirectCU II SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDD: WD Green 3.5" 1TB (7.2K RPM) PSU: Corsair AX860i & White CableMod ModFlex™ Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Monitor: Samsung S24D390 23.6" 1080p 60Hz 250 nit PLS (OC'd to 75Hz) Keyboard: Logitech G710+ (Cherry MX Browns) Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Racing Wheel: Logitech G27

Model: ASUS ROG G750JW CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-4700HQ @ 3.4GHz GPU: NVIDIA GeForce® GTX 765M RAM: DDR3-1600 11-11-11-28 (3x4GB) SSD: SanDisk SSD Plus 2.5" 120GB HDD: Toshiba 2.5" 750GB (5.4K RPM) Display: 17.3" 1080p 60Hz 350 nit TN Monitor: Dell E2418HN 24" 1080p 60Hz 250 nit IPS Battery: 88 Wh Mouse: Logitech MK235

Somebody send this to Louis Rossmann, ASAP. 

Please, take everything I say with a grain of salt. I'm not a professional, just a moderately knowledgeable nerd. 

"They misunderestimated me."

-George W. Bush

3 minutes ago, bellabichon said:

Somebody send this to Louis Rossmann, ASAP. 

I'll do it for $10,000.

And in the naked light I saw

Ten thousand people, maybe more.

Pyo.

and apple failed!

I am a christian I will not apoligize.

official owner of the worlds only box cooled laptop.

Homo-spien. The smartest creature on earth. seriusly? this is the best we could do with ourselves?

The unanimous Declaration of the penguins independance

when in the Course of technological events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all computers are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are security and customizability . — That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, — That whenever any Form of Operating System becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Operating System, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their security and customizability. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Operating Systems long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Operating systems, and to provide new Guards for their future security. — Such has been the patient sufferance of these Colonies; and such is now the necessity which constrains them to alter their former Systems of control. The history of microsoft windows is a history of repeated injuries and usurpations, all having in direct object the establishment of an absolute Tyranny over these pc's. To prove this, let Facts be submitted to a candid world.

Microsoft has refused there Assent to Laws, the most wholesome and necessary for the public good.

Microsoft has forbidden there users to pass patches of immediate and pressing importance, unless suspended in their operation till there Assent should be obtained; and when so suspended, they have utterly neglected to attend to them.

Microsoft has refused to pass other Laws for the accommodation of large districts of people, unless those people would relinquish the right of Representation in the Legislature, a right inestimable to them and formidable to tyrants only.

Microsoft has called together legislative bodies at places unusual, uncomfortable, and distant from the depository of their Public Records, for the sole purpose of fatiguing them into compliance with there measures.

Microsoft has refused for a long time, after such dissolutions, to cause others to be elected, whereby the Legislative Powers, incapable of Annihilation, have returned to the People at large for their exercise; the State remaining in the mean time exposed to all the dangers of invasion from without, and convulsions within.

Microsoft has endeavoured to prevent the compitition to windows; for that purpose obstructing the The furthurment of technology; refusing to pass others to encourage their migrations hither, and raising the conditions of new Appropriations of pcs.

Microsoft has obstructed the Administration of Justice by refusing there Assent to Laws for establishing Judiciary Powers..

Microsoft has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance.

Microsoft has combined with others to subject us to a jurisdiction foreign to our constitution, and unacknowledged by our laws; giving there Assent to their Acts of pretended Legislation:

For depriving us in many cases, of the benefit of Trial by Jury:

For abolishing the free System of English Laws in a neighbouring Province, establishing therein an Arbitrary government, and enlarging its Boundaries so as to render it at once an example and fit instrument for introducing the same absolute rule into these Colonies

For taking away our Charters, abolishing our most valuable Laws and altering fundamentally the Forms of our Governments:

For suspending our own Legislatures, and declaring themselves invested with power to legislate for us in all cases whatsoever.

Microsoft has abdicated Government Microsoft, by declaring us out of there Protection and waging War against us.

In every stage of these Oppressions We have Petitioned for Redress in the most humble terms: Our repeated Petitions have been answered only by repeated injury. A Prince, whose character is thus marked by every act which may define a Tyrant, is unfit to be the ruler of a free people.

Nor have We been wanting in attentions to our human brethren. We have warned them from time to time of attempts by their legislature to extend an unwarrantable jurisdiction over us. We have reminded them of the circumstances of our emigration and settlement Microsoft. We have appealed to their native justice and magnanimity, and we have conjured them by the ties of our common kindred to disavow these usurpations, which would inevitably interrupt our connections and correspondence. They too have been deaf to the voice of justice and of consanguinity. We must, therefore, acquiesce in the necessity, which denounces our Separation, and hold them, as we hold the rest of mankind, Enemies in War, in Peace Friends.

We, therefore, the Representatives of the penguins of linux, in General Congress, Assembled, appealing to the Supreme Judge of the world for the rectitude of our intentions, do, in the Name, and by Authority of the good People of these Colonies, solemnly publish and declare, That these united Colonies are, and of Right ought to be Free and Independent Operating System, that they are Absolved from all Allegiance to the Microsoft Emporer, and that all political connection between them and the Operating system windows, is and ought to be totally dissolved; and that as Free and Operating System, they have full Power to levy War, conclude Peace, contract Alliances, establish Commerce, and to do all other Acts and Things which Independent Operating Systems may of right do. — And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes, and our sacred Honor.

I feel like this article is just my tech life in general.

Main PC: sleeper Dell on profile boi

Laptop: Latitude E4310 w/ i5 580M, 8GB RAM, 120GB 840 EVO, Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 wireless card, Windows 7 Pro x64

Zeus: 2x 1266MHz PIII, Supermicro P3TDDE, 1x 512MB PC133 ECC, Radeon 9600 Pro 128MB, 30GB DiamondMax Plus 8 + 80GB IBM DeskStar, Windows XP Pro SP3

On 2/26/2019 at 2:37 AM, campy said:

when my girlfriend comes over and sees my dining room and kitchen counters covered in pc parts from pre 2006 she immediately takes off her clothes

nothing sexual, she just doesnt want the nerd dust on her clothes 

If they employed actual technicians and didn't insist on plebs following specific procedures then they'd likely get a lot more work and have happier customers.  I had a friend who had an issue with his $3000 Maton guitar.  I suggested we could fix it as it simply required the nut filed. He said no way, it's going back to Maton for repair.  I think a lot of people will happily pay a premium to get a premium service, but they will not continue to buy into a poorly executed $centric policy.  Hell even the popup store screen replacement guys do a better job of diagnosing than genius bar employees.

QuicK and DirtY. Read the CoC it's like a guide on how not to be moron.  Also I don't have an issue with the VS series.

19 minutes ago, r2724r16 said:

I don't think it's Apple scamming people. It's just that its employees are not GENIUS.

I mean apple is one of the most anti-consumer piece of trash companies in the world, despite somehow being #1. It's just proof that an inferior attitude towards your customers, numerous major design flaws, and charging through the ass for products that just ain't worth the money, are not hindrances to a business, so long as people have the false perception that they're getting something hip, trendy, and "better".

It's almost this weird shit where the rules of free market capitalism don't apply to Apple, because if they did, they'd have been out of business 15 years ago. It baffles me. Even if in this case it wasn't a scam, it's still nothing new when it comes to apple "customer service". 

7 minutes ago, bmichaels556 said:

I mean apple is one of the most anti-consumer piece of trash companies in the world, despite somehow being #1.

Could the reason be that you're wrong? 

Laptop: 2016 13" nTB MacBook Pro Core i5 | Phone: iPhone 8 Plus 64GB | Wearables: Apple Watch Sport Series 2 | CPU: R5 2600 | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 16GB 2666 | GPU: Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580 4GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 10 | Storage: 480GB PNY SSD & 2TB WD Green HDD | PSU: Corsair CX600M | Display: Dell UZ2215H 21.5" 1080p, ViewSonic VX2450wm-LED 23.6" 1080p, Samsung SyncMaster 940BX 19" 1024p | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G303 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball
14 minutes ago, bmichaels556 said:

I mean apple is one of the most anti-consumer piece of trash companies in the world, despite somehow being #1. It's just proof that an inferior attitude towards your customers, numerous major design flaws, and charging through the ass for products that just ain't worth the money, are not hindrances to a business, so long as people have the false perception that they're getting something hip, trendy, and "better".

They actually got to be number 1 before a lot these things started to become common.  Right to repair and suing blackmailing repair shops along with lower quality designs and slow to accept responsibility has really only been a thing of the recent past.

14 minutes ago, bmichaels556 said:

It's almost this weird shit where the rules of free market capitalism don't apply to Apple, because if they did, they'd have been out of business 15 years ago. It baffles me. Even if in this case it wasn't a scam, it's still nothing new when it comes to apple "customer service". 

It seems those practices has stagnated their growth.  Some might even argue it has declined since.

QuicK and DirtY. Read the CoC it's like a guide on how not to be moron.  Also I don't have an issue with the VS series.

11 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Is more like anti repairs which can views as anti consumer as not everyone want to fix their issues by buying a new product.  

They are the one who said opening a phone could kill someone. Meanwhile rose is hitting a battery with a hammer. 

Magical Pineapples

23 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Could it be? I guess so.

Is it probable? Based on the evidence, I don't think that's the case.

18 minutes ago, mr moose said:

They actually got to be number 1 before a lot these things started to become common.  Right to repair and suing blackmailing repair shops along with lower quality designs and slow to accept responsibility has really only been a thing of the recent past.

It seems those practices has stagnated their growth.  Some might even argue it has declined since.

Could be. Them getting complacent, thinking they were too big to fail and then ditching making customers a priority sort of thing? Maybe. I don't know much about the "apple tax" or its existence 15 years ago, if it existed at all. Design flaws, yes. I know, every company sends them out, but I also feel like if they're a world-class company and only do an occasional update of their hardware, these shouldn't be major issues. But just my two cents, and I have to concede that every line of products has issues. 

I just find that Apple, at least today, seems far more about being "trendy" rather than the actual productivity they market to customers. You have these hipsters buying $2,000 laptops so they can go on Facebook. I know that segment exists for every product line, even me to some extent, but I've been surrounded by it in college for so many years it just wears on my sanity! lmao

2 hours ago, bmichaels556 said:

Could be. Them getting complacent, thinking they were too big to fail and then ditching making customers a priority sort of thing? Maybe. I don't know much about the "apple tax" or its existence 15 years ago, if it existed at all. Design flaws, yes. I know, every company sends them out, but I also feel like if they're a world-class company and only do an occasional update of their hardware, these shouldn't be major issues. But just my two cents, and I have to concede that every line of products has issues. 

I just find that Apple, at least today, seems far more about being "trendy" rather than the actual productivity they market to customers. You have these hipsters buying $2,000 laptops so they can go on Facebook. I know that segment exists for every product line, even me to some extent, but I've been surrounded by it in college for so many years it just wears on my sanity! lmao

The thing is apple have always been more expensive, but in the earlier days (10-15 years ago), it could be argued you got what you paid for.  I personally don't like apple, never really have, but I have to give credit where credit is due, and their older stuff did fill a market and was durable.  It's the people who tried to insinuate it was good for everything that makes it unbearable to discuss.  I am never going to accept a $2000 macbook is a good purchase for an email machine.    In the last 3-4 years their antics across multiple issues have left me just baffled as to how most average users cannot be concerned with buying their products. 

FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT 

these threads always go nowhere I just love seeing people justify whatever

Volume / Normalized 100% / 89% (content loudness 1.0dB)

Yes, I'm gay and don't give a shit about pride. My sexuality isn't my personality; my VHS tapes and my video captures are.

4 hours ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT 

these threads always go nowhere I just love seeing people justify whatever

you're wrong.  I can justify all my arguments with one link that will simultaneously piss off everyone:

https://steveblank.com/2016/10/24/why-tim-cook-is-steve-ballmer-and-why-he-still-has-his-job-at-apple/

/evil plans for thread domination

9 hours ago, r2724r16 said:

Yup, maybe until 2013-2014 there were Apple genius that knew what was going on with the computers, but Apple's new devices being so hard to fix imo made the employees really, really thick and unabled to fix easy problems...

How do you explain your self-centered genius that they can no longer be called genius but instead helper (oh, the irony) or even just Apple worker

It's almost as if Apple is a shit company with shit employees, shit products, and shit internal practices.

Stop. Buying. Apple. Products.

9 hours ago, r2724r16 said:

They absolutely DO scam people. They quote entire device replacements over a bent pin that others would not charge anything for. They claim that water damaged Iphones cannot have information recovered off of them and outright suppress any and all claims to the contrary, despite third party repairers reporting about a 95% success rate in recovering said information.

Those same repair shops only charge you for successful recovery, if they cannot recover the data, you pay nothing. They're that confident in their ability to get the phone back in working condition.

But as far as Apple is concerned, they state it is "100% impossible to recover the data on that phone". Which is true by their practice of refusing to even attempt to repair the device and recover the data.

Computer's don't make errors. What they do, they do on purpose. By now your name and particulars have been fed into every laptop, desktop, mainframe and supermarket scanner that collectively make up the global information conspiracy, otherwise known as The Beast.

You just be careful. Computers have already beaten the Communists at chess. Next thing you know, they'll be beating humans.

I have a script on my PC that turns off my monitor signal without locking the OS, but after I move the mouse it turns back on, I wonder if the victim couldn't have used something like that.

It is possible to confuse failed backlight with not working screen, I fully understand the user error, but the genius guys failed miserably. I think it goes down to what Lois Rossmann said about Apple preferring replacing whole things to precise diagnosis and fixing only what's not working. Idiot or not, Genius Bar worker is encouraged to replace everything rather than, say, a ribbon cable.

Haha, no way 🤣 oh apple oh apple 

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x 1.35V @ 4.1GhZ  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX (2*8) 16GB 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2Nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD