Google pulling games from the play store that run on Unity

Arika
On 6/12/2019 at 8:18 AM, HarryNyquist said:

Chromium is open source too. How many people will just continue using Chrome despite the adblocker change, instead of switching to Brave or Opera or Edge (all of which are based on the Chromium sources)?

This is my point; I don't think any mainline manufacturers are going to allow sideloading if Google says no sideloading, and most consumers are not going to flash a new rom to get sideloading back.

Plus if Google is stupid enough to disallow adblocking, I can easily see them disallowing sideloading too.

Don't forget Vivaldi in the Browser list.  It's now my favorite browser and it keeps getting better.

1 Timothy 1:15

On 6/12/2019 at 9:22 PM, wasab said:

You don't seem to understand Android too well. You don't need to plug in USB and sideload app from your computer to install anything outside the Google play store. You just need to download an installer(apk file) like how you would install stuffs on windows. 

Android is open source, I don't know how many times I need to emphasize this. You can root your phone and literally uninstall Google play store, Google drive, Google whatever from your phone. Android and Google are separate things. Android doesn't need to have Google. In fact, all Chinese phones do not ship Google play store and use mi store, Huawei store or whatever. The best OEM can do is lock the bootloader and it still doesn't prevent you from installing apps outside the play store because Android is built not to be lock by any app distribution platform. 

Google play store and Google play services are NOT part of the Android operating system. They are apps later added on by oems. 

You can download Amazon app store from Amazon's official website with or without Google preinstall. 

If you seriously hate Google, you can grab the code of vannila Android open source project from it's website and build your own custom rom for your phone. 

XDA website has plenty premade custom ROMs this way. You can say screw all the OEM and Google stuffs and just flash a rom that's to your liking 

General consumers wont care about any of this and most people are just used to having Google services like Play store, Google Pay, etc for them to ever consider a phone without these features. Look what happened to Amazon's Firephone.

Besides if you think that developers are going to boycott pay store, it wont happen. The apps in question are very few and I am sure they would rather comply with Google's new policy than risking losing users by publishing them on other stores.

It's Google store. The developers are paying for the infrastructure, payment processing, qc, etc. I think it's unreasonable for developers to demand full payment when they are actively reliant on Google for their product to exist and reach out to the masses in the first place

8 hours ago, RedRound2 said:

General consumers wont care about any of this and most people are just used to having Google services like Play store, Google Pay, etc for them to ever consider a phone without these features. Look what happened to Amazon's Firephone.

Besides if you think that developers are going to boycott pay store, it wont happen. The apps in question are very few and I am sure they would rather comply with Google's new policy than risking losing users by publishing them on other stores.

It's Google store. The developers are paying for the infrastructure, payment processing, qc, etc. I think it's unreasonable for developers to demand full payment when they are actively reliant on Google for their product to exist and reach out to the masses in the first place

What are you talking about? Amazon app store is totally a fine alternative and by statistics, devs make more money per app on there. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

On 6/22/2019 at 9:10 PM, wasab said:

What are you talking about? Amazon app store is totally a fine alternative and by statistics, devs make more money per app on there. 

But who uses Amazon app store? My point is developers will lose a massive amount of potential customers if they do something stupid like that. 

5 hours ago, RedRound2 said:

But who uses Amazon app store? My point is developers will lose a massive amount of potential customers if they do something stupid like that. 

You do know over 80% of the developers earn absolutely nothing for their apps on the the playstore right?

Sudo make me a sandwich 

46 minutes ago, wasab said:

You do know over 80% of the developers earn absolutely nothing for their apps on the the playstore right?

You're talking about free apps right? I'm pretty sure amazon also doesn't pay developers for their free apps too. And besides, I believe for free apps developers earn mostly through in app purchases and ads

5 minutes ago, RedRound2 said:

You're talking about free apps right? I'm pretty sure amazon also doesn't pay developers for their free apps too. And besides, I believe for free apps developers earn mostly through in app purchases and ads

No, I meant nothing as in absolutely nothing. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

8 hours ago, wasab said:

While I do believe the number is particularly high, do you have a source for that over 80%, or is that just a guess/random figure?

Anyway the point that @RedRound2 is making is that if 80% of apps on the PlayStore are free (and therefore earn nothing), odds are that the stat is similar on the Amazon Store.

Except that now their customer base is a tiny insignificant fraction. How many users own an Amazon device with FireOS? Now how many users own an Android device with Google Play Store?

Even if each individual user tends to spend more on FireOS, the fact that the number of users on Play Store is so significantly higher, means the vast majority of app developers that do make money, will make more on Google Play Store than they will on FireOS.

Now with that in mind, FireOS is probably one of the better alternatives, because Amazon has the influence to get more developers on board (and it's a pretty easy conversion process - since they're both ultimately Android OS, unlike getting Developers onto Windows Mobile) than other niche OS's.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

28 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

While I do believe the number is particularly high, do you have a source for that over 80%, or is that just a guess/random figure?

Anyway the point that @RedRound2 is making is that if 80% of apps on the PlayStore are free (and therefore earn nothing), odds are that the stat is similar on the Amazon Store.

Except that now their customer base is a tiny insignificant fraction. How many users own an Amazon device with FireOS? Now how many users own an Android device with Google Play Store?

Even if each individual user tends to spend more on FireOS, the fact that the number of users on Play Store is so significantly higher, means the vast majority of app developers that do make money, will make more on Google Play Store than they will on FireOS.

Now with that in mind, FireOS is probably one of the better alternatives, because Amazon has the influence to get more developers on board (and it's a pretty easy conversion process - since they're both ultimately Android OS, unlike getting Developers onto Windows Mobile) than other niche OS's.

You still did not get the point that you do not need to have playstore to install apps on Android and Amazon app store can be an alternative on any Android devices. Your fireOS vs regular Android devices turns this argument into a full circle. 

Amazon playstore simply has less competition so it will be easier for developer to get their apps on the front page of a search. Compare that to the playstore, whatever apps you may have, chances are there are dozens of apps out there that are similar and much higher up than you in the search ranking hierchacy thus your app will be in the last 100 pages or so if it even shows up at all. 

Large user base has more to do with marketing and exploiting playstores ranking alogrithm than about the number of users on a platform nowadays. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

32 minutes ago, wasab said:

You still did not get the point that you do not need to have playstore to install apps on Android and Amazon app store can be an alternative on any Android devices. Your fireOS vs regular Android devices turns this argument into a full circle. 

I do "get" that point - but let's be clear, the vast majority of regular users will never manually sideload an Android app.

Furthermore, how many devices actually run both stores?

Amazon playstore simply has less competition so it will be easier for developer to get their apps on the front page of a search. Compare that to the playstore, whatever apps you may have, chances are there are dozens of apps out there that are similar and much higher up than you in the search ranking hierchacy thus your app will be in the last 100 pages or so if it even shows up at all.

Sure, but that didn't help Microsoft, who spent way more money than Amazon did on their mobile store.

Large user base has more to do with marketing and exploiting playstores ranking alogrithm than about the number of users on a platform nowadays. 

Source? I think the large user base is because most Android devices come with Play Store. I don't think it has anything to do with ranking or algorithms. Most people aren't searching for alternate stores. They're just using whatever is on the device.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Really hope we'll get more app stores or game stores that won't depend on Google Play at all.

Desktop

Y4M1-II: AMD Ryzen 9-5900X | Asrock RX 6900XT Phantom Gaming D | Gigabyte RTX 4060 low profile | 64GB G.Skill Ripjaws V | 2TB Samsung 980 Pro + 4TB 870 EVO + 4TB SanDisk Ultra 3D + 8TB WD Black + 4TB WD Black HDD | Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL-X | Antec ST1000 1000W 80+ Titanium | MSI Optix MAG342CQR | BenQ EW3270U | Kubuntu

-------------------------------

Mobile devices

Kuroneko: Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Yoga 4th (Intel i7-10510U | 16GB RAM | 1TB SSD)