GPU "purr sound"

Hi!

Recently acquired a 1080ti secondhand and it seemed to working fine but this sort of purring noise kicked in initially. Its an on and off situation right now as it sometimes faintly appears at low rpm's compared to the first encounter of the sound. I would guuess this would be the blower fan being weird? idk if its coil whine. I tested another blower style card (both were founders edition btw) it didnt really have that kind of noise or that loud. Please let me know what this is and what I should do or if I should run some tests?

CPU: ryzen 1600

Cooler: cryorig c7

GPU: GTX 1080ti

PSU: corsair SF600 Gold rated

Case: Dan case A4SFX

Something is wrong with the fan.Try blowing at it to clean it or get an air spray can and give that a go.

It indeed sounds like something fan related. Could you perhaps try to play a bit with the fan speed (e.g. with MSI Afterburner)? Put it at 0%, 10%, whatever%, etc%, and 100%, see if that gives any interesting results. [EDIT: one (or two lol) fan of mine also usually has a really weird (weirder than this) sound when I start up my PC, but this goes away after one or two minutes. Is the sound constant, or does it go away after a bit?]

Oh, also, maybe you can check if the fan is perhaps rubbing against something, that could also be causing the sound.

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

Yeah I'll give it a clean with compressed air @ManosMax13

@TomvanWijnen Well the clip I sent was the first enocunter. I reinstalled the thing multiple times and cleaned the fan area delicately with some wet wipes to get the general dirt out of there. It seems to kick in at lower rpms (25-20% fan speed and 50%) now but faintly definitely not as strong as the clip I sent (idk if pressing down on the blower fan helped while it was disconnected and I was cleaning it). It doesn't seem to rubbing against anything from the outside atleast or visibly. At higher rpms its just like a regular blower style card, I dont seem to get that noise with 1080 FE card I have with me as well so it seems odd, hope the guy I bought it from helps me out.

1 hour ago, the_confused1 said:

Yeah I'll give it a clean with compressed air @ManosMax13

@TomvanWijnen Well the clip I sent was the first enocunter. I reinstalled the thing multiple times and cleaned the fan area delicately with some wet wipes to get the general dirt out of there. It seems to kick in at lower rpms (25-20% fan speed and 50%) now but faintly definitely not as strong as the clip I sent (idk if pressing down on the blower fan helped while it was disconnected and I was cleaning it). It doesn't seem to rubbing against anything from the outside atleast or visibly. At higher rpms its just like a regular blower style card, I dont seem to get that noise with 1080 FE card I have with me as well so it seems odd, hope the guy I bought it from helps me out.

If you are crafty try also taking it apart  and trying to resit the fan.

@ManosMax13 Hope it doesnt come to that cuz its still under warranty I think. I'll clean it the best i can, make sure there's no debris and ask the guy I bought it from if he can help with it. worst case I unscrew it. Is there like a teardown video for it?

14 minutes ago, the_confused1 said:

@ManosMax13 Hope it doesnt come to that cuz its still under warranty I think. I'll clean it the best i can, make sure there's no debris and ask the guy I bought it from if he can help with it. worst case I unscrew it. Is there like a teardown video for it?

Yeah just search the model of the card and then write teardown.

Clearly, Nvidia sold you a 1080 Ti with a cat loaded in the bios rather than the standard vbois.

Seriously tho, kinda sounds like something is rubbing against the fan or the bearing might be wearing out. Was the card second hand?

@Xkillerpn If it comes to it I'll have to go the route but I'd like to keep it blower style considering my form factor.