Win 10 Disk Management P.I.T.A.

SiForceRyan

So I am wondering if anyone on here has come across this. At my office we prepare drives in bulk for customers, ie, wiping/secure erase, hash verify, format, software encrypt. If we used regular disk management on Win 7, we could quickly set 4-5 drives to perform a slow format by punching through the "new simple volume" wizard quite quick, start the next 2 seconds after clicking finish on the previous drive. On win 10 however, it seems to always pop up with the prompt to "format drive D" ad "drive needs to be formatted", after closing these real quick ,still there is about 20 seconds between being able to go to the next drive. This happens even if you take care to select a new drive letter on the 2nd step of the new simple volume wizard. I am wondering if there is a way for windows to not pop up with that warning to format, as the drive is already starting the format process. I tried disabling any autoplay and autorun options in settings and group policy. Any other group policy or registry setting someone can think of?

tbh, I don't think you're going to get Windows 10 to do what you want it to do :P

But maybe you could install Windows 7 specifically for that task on a separate partition or run a VM to do that job?

Just an idea.

Thanks, crossing my fingers before I go back to win 7, or just evaluate a third party format app for my office.

1 minute ago, SiForceRyan said:

Thanks, crossing my fingers before I go back to win 7, or just evaluate a third party format app for my office.

Paragon / Acronis disk manager should have the functionality you need. Might be cheaper to run W7 as long as you securely can though.

Quote and/or tag people using @ otherwise they don't get notified of your response!

The HUMBLE Computer:

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X • Noctua NH-U12A • ASUS STRIX X570-F • Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16 • GIGABYTE Nvidia GTX1080 G1 • FRACTAL DESIGN Define C w/ blue Meshify C front • Corsair RM750x (2018) • OS: Kingston KC2000 1TB GAMES: Intel 660p 1TB DATA: Seagate Desktop 2TB • Acer Predator X34P 34" 3440x1440p 120 Hz IPS curved Ultrawide • Corsair STRAFE RGB Cherry MX Brown • Logitech G502 HERO / Logitech MX Master 3

Notebook:  HP Spectre x360 13" late 2018

Core i7 8550U • 16GB DDR3 RAM • 512GB NVMe SSD • 13" 1920x1080p 120 Hz IPS touchscreen • dual Thunderbolt 3

You could look into doing it via DISKPART in CLI. If you're a fast typer I think it'd be faster that going though the disk management partition wizard and it won't give you any of those pop-ups.

diskpart
list disk
select disk [#]
clean
convert gpt
create partition primary
format fs=ntfs
assign

Except for when you initially connect the drive(s) Windows may say they need to be formatted but from my experience it will only do that if you're hot swapping. If you're doing a shutdown/restart when connecting drives it shouldn't give you any prompt.