Best laptop for under 500 USD?

Looking for a desktop replacement laptop to get rid of this old HP Compaq system running an AM3 Athlon B28 @3.4ghz. with some sort of terrible proprietary graphics built into the motherboard.

Budget is 500 dollars. Cheap, but not a chromebook. Refurbished works for me although I'd prefer something intel 6th generation or newer. I think ideal would be i5 8250u, but that's pretty recent so I'm more concerned with build quality and keyboard quality at this price point.

storage does not matter as long as it's replaceable because I already own a 2.5'' 250gb Samsung SSD I got to make the old system more responsive

IDK how much RAM as long as I can upgrade it myself.

15.6" or 17.3"?

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Acer has decent options like the E500 with that core i5 8250u and a MX150 GPU. The screen isn't the best but still decent for the price. Another option is dellrefurbished.com where you can get decent laptops at that price with an SSD and a 6th-7th gen CPU.

Honestly man buy a Used laptop locally on facebook or craiglist. Run benchmarks to ensure it works. Youll get way better bang for your buck and get a fairly decent gpu as well. Ask about and check the temps to. Also that it holds charge. 

• CPU
    A fat 92 core Pussy
  • Motherboard
    Oh just lay'r on that rock ye' thatll do it
  • RAM
    27.3GB DDR9
  • GPU
    Gods eye
  • Case
    Walmart Shopping Cart
  • Storage
    19tb usb flash drive with windows vista!
  • PSU
    potato wired up via outlet and two wires.
  • Display(s)
    2.1 inch 144hz tn panel
  • Cooling
    Magazine
  • Keyboard
    Dunno. Its beige
  • Mouse
    Beige
  • Sound
    Beige
  • Operating System
    Vista ya heard me

5 hours ago, themctipers said:

15.6" or 17.3"?

5 hours ago, IAmAndre said:

Acer has decent options like the E500 with that core i5 8250u and a MX150 GPU. The screen isn't the best but still decent for the price. Another option is dellrefurbished.com where you can get decent laptops at that price with an SSD and a 6th-7th gen CPU.

5 hours ago, Right Side Gone said:

Honestly man buy a Used laptop locally on facebook or craiglist. Run benchmarks to ensure it works. Youll get way better bang for your buck and get a fairly decent gpu as well. Ask about and check the temps to. Also that it holds charge. 

How is this one I found on ebay?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Latitude-5490-Laptop-14-LCD-HD-1-80GHz-i5-8250U-8GB-Ram-500GB-HDD-Win10/372685925374?hash=item56c5cfebfe%3Ag%3A3l4AAOSwThdc-wOv&LH_BIN=1

Looks like I could just pop in my SSD, fresh install Windows, pick up another 8GB RAM stick somewhere and I'm off to the races.

7 hours ago, Joko said:

Budget is 500 dollars

Might want to go used since I doubt there is a decent, new model at this price point

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

12 hours ago, Joko said:

How is this one I found on ebay?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Latitude-5490-Laptop-14-LCD-HD-1-80GHz-i5-8250U-8GB-Ram-500GB-HDD-Win10/372685925374?hash=item56c5cfebfe%3Ag%3A3l4AAOSwThdc-wOv&LH_BIN=1

Looks like I could just pop in my SSD, fresh install Windows, pick up another 8GB RAM stick somewhere and I'm off to the races.

As long as ypure not gaming on it, its fine. But honestly you could probably find a better deal. 

• CPU
    A fat 92 core Pussy
  • Motherboard
    Oh just lay'r on that rock ye' thatll do it
  • RAM
    27.3GB DDR9
  • GPU
    Gods eye
  • Case
    Walmart Shopping Cart
  • Storage
    19tb usb flash drive with windows vista!
  • PSU
    potato wired up via outlet and two wires.
  • Display(s)
    2.1 inch 144hz tn panel
  • Cooling
    Magazine
  • Keyboard
    Dunno. Its beige
  • Mouse
    Beige
  • Sound
    Beige
  • Operating System
    Vista ya heard me

Just now, Right Side Gone said:

As long as ypure not gaming on it, its fine. But honestly you could probably find a better deal. 

Oh that deal ended so it's showing one with a 5th gen.

This is a newer deal I'm looking at on Newegg with the same generation at less than half the price:

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16834847657?Description=i5 5300U&cm_re=i5_5300U-_-34-847-657-_-Product