Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
f2bacon

Odd ram speed?

I was able to get it up to 3125 and that's good enough for me. I guess if it isn't working at recommended try bringing it down 1 notch?

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

So I was going benchmarking to make sure I get adequate performance from my ebay/craigslist build and I noticed userbenchmark shows my ddr4-3000mhz ram running at 2133mhz. I installed cpu-z and ended up with this.
Am I severely underclocked on my ram or am I reading things wrong?

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/17580878
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/qZYjmq
Thanks for any help!!

Capture.PNG

Link to post
Share on other sites

Gotta enable XMP/DOCP in the BIOS or set the clocks manually


I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

 

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Kill Trident Z RGB - Force MP500 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - The venerated Hyper 212 Evo (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G2 650W - Black and green theme, Razer branwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

 

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Dual Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - GTX 750 TI - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - Dark moded Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

 

EVGA G3 thread, BR/BT threadSeasonic Focus thread, S12II/M12II thread, Userbenchmark (Et al.) is trash explained, PSU misconceptions

Link to post
Share on other sites

CPUz tells you what your ram is really running at, while advertised speeds are really doubled of what they are running at because double data rate

eg, DDR3 1600MHz = 800mhz real clockspeed

your ram is running at 2133MHz for some reason, that is correct. in some systems, the RAM underclocks to save on power, try to see if the clockspeed is the same while doing something intensive

if it is, then you've got your ram set to 2133MHz. Your ram may be rated for 3000MHz, but it's not going to run at that unless you set it to 3000MHz via XMP I believe


Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB 13-16-16-21-29 1T 3200MHz (AFR) | Radeon VII | ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
4 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

Gotta enable XMP/DOCP in the BIOS or set the clocks manually

 

3 minutes ago, themctipers said:

Your ram may be rated for 3000MHz, but it's not going to run at that unless you set it to 3000MHz via XMP I believe

I set it to 3000mhz in xmp. The userbench score was from benchmarking so I would think it would push it. I was sorta worried it was because I was using ripjaws 4 and not 5

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, f2bacon said:

 

I set it to 3000mhz in xmp. The userbench score was from benchmarking so I would think it would push it

I would go back into the BIOS and double check it's still enabled.

It can happen that the setting resets itself or didn't apply properly for some reason.

If that doesn't help you can also try a BIOS update and/or try one stick at a time.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

There actually was a bios rate, but even with the update now stuff is showing 2128mhz. I got this picture from bios since I'm not positive how to translate all this stuff (learned overclocking from youtube) so maybe I just have something set wrong? Also in cpu-z I noticed "dual" channel memory, even though I have 4 sticks. Is that normal? I thought it would be quad channel. It's reading all the sticks for 32gb? Maybe I'm just not familiar with this stuff
IMG_20190612_005702.thumb.jpg.5abca9185c788a710d70f1a10809f828.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

one stick at a time didnt help. i tried xmp and auto, and no matter what these are reading 2133. i wouldnt know where to start on solving this kind of thing

IMG_20190613_012538.thumb.jpg.17c1544535095eadf400f671938538fb.jpg

 

IMG_20190613_010806.thumb.jpg.7fdcf9dabab94317613b9a5268fe1508.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
On 6/11/2019 at 4:41 PM, Senzelian said:

If that doesn't help you can also try a BIOS update and/or try one stick at a time.

 

On 6/11/2019 at 4:35 PM, themctipers said:

Your ram may be rated for 3000MHz, but it's not going to run at that unless you set it to 3000MHz via XMP I believe

 

On 6/11/2019 at 4:35 PM, fasauceome said:

Gotta enable XMP/DOCP in the BIOS or set the clocks manually

 

Finally a breakthrough. 2 sticks gets me to 2992.86mhz. Checking the QVL for my mobo, the dual channel is supported, but no mention of the quad channel ripjaws 4.
I got this set cheap on ebay thinking I had it made. 3000mhz 4x8gb quad channel rules.

So now should I look into a quad set that would work? or 2x16gb? im not familiar with how ram works but i'm trying to figure out the next move

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, f2bacon said:

 

 

 

Finally a breakthrough. 2 sticks gets me to 2992.86mhz. Checking the QVL for my mobo, the dual channel is supported, but no mention of the quad channel ripjaws 4.
I got this set cheap on ebay thinking I had it made. 3000mhz 4x8gb quad channel rules.

So now should I look into a quad set that would work? or 2x16gb? im not familiar with how ram works but i'm trying to figure out the next move

Quad-channel is only for Threaripper and Intel HEDT/Xeons. Normal consumer chips (Ryzen, i3/5/7/9) are all just dual-channel.


CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Heatsink: ID-Cooling Frostflow X GPU: Zotac GTX 1060 Mini 6GB RAM: G.Skill Flare X 2400Mhz (2x8GB) Mobo: ASRock B450M-Pro4  Case: Phanteks P300 PSU: Superflower Silver ECO 600W

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
10 minutes ago, BigRom said:

Quad-channel is only for Threaripper and Intel HEDT/Xeons. Normal consumer chips (Ryzen, i3/5/7/9) are all just dual-channel.

So that's why I wasn't getting full speeds? Quad channel just won't work with ryzen 5, so I should get 2x16gb?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, f2bacon said:

So that's why I wasn't getting full speeds? Quad channel just won't work with ryzen 5, so I should get 2x16gb?

You can still get the correct speed, it will just still be dual-channel as RAM slots usually go A1-B1-A2-B2 (A & B denoting the channels)

 

IIRC 1st gen Ryzen are a bit more picky when it comes to RAM speed. I mean if you need 32GB yeah 2x16 works too.


CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Heatsink: ID-Cooling Frostflow X GPU: Zotac GTX 1060 Mini 6GB RAM: G.Skill Flare X 2400Mhz (2x8GB) Mobo: ASRock B450M-Pro4  Case: Phanteks P300 PSU: Superflower Silver ECO 600W

Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually I see you have the same board as mine, may I suggest try running it at 2866 or 3200. I couldn't get my RAM to work at 3000Mhz XMP profile but it works with the 3200Mhz one.

 

And when I tried overclocking a single stick of 8GB DDR4, it went up from 2133 to 2866 and anything beyond it crapped itself or refused to POST.


CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Heatsink: ID-Cooling Frostflow X GPU: Zotac GTX 1060 Mini 6GB RAM: G.Skill Flare X 2400Mhz (2x8GB) Mobo: ASRock B450M-Pro4  Case: Phanteks P300 PSU: Superflower Silver ECO 600W

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

all 4 wouldn't run at 3000mhz, that's why I started the thread.

and I'm surprised that setting xmp to 3200 actually works on dual channel.

but all 4 sticks doesn't let me run at anything besides 2133

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, f2bacon said:

all 4 wouldn't run at 3000mhz, that's why I started the thread.

and I'm surprised that setting xmp to 3200 actually works on dual channel.

but all 4 sticks doesn't let me run at anything besides 2133

The amount of RAM sticks don't determine the channel type.
4 sticks can still only run in dual channel mode.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

so then why would they not hit 3000mhz? i'm sure i'm not understanding this correctly. i think i found a pretty good deal on 2x16gb 3200mhz, so i think i'll do that and sell the 4x8gb 3000mhz kit

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, f2bacon said:

so then why would they not hit 3000mhz? i'm sure i'm not understanding this correctly. i think i found a pretty good deal on 2x16gb 3200mhz, so i think i'll do that and sell the 4x8gb 3000mhz kit

I don't know tbh.

Bad ram? Is your CPU overclocked? Any changes to any other frequencies or the RAM timings?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 hour ago, Senzelian said:

I don't know tbh.

Bad ram? Is your CPU overclocked? Any changes to any other frequencies or the RAM timings?

Could just be bad ram. I'm gonna pick up a new pair.
Cpu is overclocked to 3.9ghz. No changes on ram besides changing xmp.
Actually I think I may have manually input the timings that it says on the sticks when I got them

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

So I picked up a pair of Corsair sticks. CMK32GX4M2B3200C16. Won't run at 3200. If I set xmp for 3200 it sets to 2133. I got it to boot at 3125.88mhz. Am I not understanding something? Should I be looking up timing specifics or something? I thought I could overclock my ram to be a hair faster but I can't get anything to run at advertised speeds

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, f2bacon said:

So I picked up a pair of Corsair sticks. CMK32GX4M2B3200C16. Won't run at 3200. If I set xmp for 3200 it sets to 2133. I got it to boot at 3125.88mhz. Am I not understanding something? Should I be looking up timing specifics or something? I thought I could overclock my ram to be a hair faster but I can't get anything to run at advertised speeds

Run your CPU at stock speeds, or even better reset the CMOS and then try to run them at the advertised speed.
If it still doesn't work, then there's something wrong with your motherboard or CPU.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
11 hours ago, Senzelian said:

Run your CPU at stock speeds, or even better reset the CMOS and then try to run them at the advertised speed.
If it still doesn't work, then there's something wrong with your motherboard or CPU.

Pulling the cmos battery for 10 seconds did nothing. Putting the CPU to stock did nothing. If I try and run at 3200 it defaults back to 2133. I'm running at 3125 but now rarely I'm seeing program crashes and more recently a windows crash. 

IMG_20190615_035145.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

Is there a way I could find the suggested xmp settings for CMK32GX4M2B3200C16?
For some reason the xmp profile 1 seems to be what I saved. Even after I cleared the CMOS
Is there any way to clear xmp? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

I can't get my cmos / bios reset? I pulled the battery for 5 minutes and bridged the little cmos guy with a paper clip. I boot back into bios and it's right where I left off. Am I missing something??

IMG_20190618_004344.jpg

IMG_20190618_004354.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

Does clearing the cmos/bios not delete the default user profiles? I can't figure out how to get this damn thing to read correctly. I almost wanna think it's a hardware issue or hardware incompatibility. Could that be a thing? I was able to run 2 sticks of 8gb at the advertised speed (2x8gb 3000mhz, but if i tried all 4 sticks to get it to 32gb it doesn't let me)
I was super careful to check compatibility between components, did i miss something?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP · Best Answer

I was able to get it up to 3125 and that's good enough for me. I guess if it isn't working at recommended try bringing it down 1 notch?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Buy VPN

×