Cynicism in regards to Apple pro stand

6 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

Probably tooling costs. They had to invest into making the Pro Stand already, so just use that instead of tooling the chassis to support mousing VESA directly, just cut the cost and throw a VESA mount on the mount for the Pro Stand. 

At this point you're making excuses for Apple as to why yet again they didn't just follow the norm. I haven't seen how they're new mounting system works, but trust me, that monitor is not heavy enough to strip 4 screws. I'm imagining that the system they have in place now is way more complicated than just 4 holes in a square pattern they could attach the $1000 stand to. Do you know how long it takes to machine 4 holes? Even if you tap them? Literally a few seconds, especially in the aluminum they use.

I'd just like to see the mounting system and see why they couldn't just do what every single other display on the planet does. I thought the VESA adapter was just a fancy "Apple" VESA mount, not a necessary thing to buy to use the monitor.

#Muricaparrotgang

There is no reason to not have built in a vesa bracket into the monitor. Heck my Samsung Q7 tv has one and that thing is 55 inches small. My monitors have them and they come with a stand. I agree that most true professionals are likely to vesa mount 2-3 of those things rather than prop them on a stand, but this is just a money grab.

AMD Ryzen 3950x under a Noctua D15S, 32 Gb G Skill FlareX 3200 DDR4 running at 3200 CL14, Gigabyte Aorus Pro 570 Wifi, Gigabyte 2070 Super hooked to a Dell U2718Q 4k HDR monitor & an Acer 1440p 144hz IPS panel of some kind, an Inland 1 TB M.2 PCIE 4 main drive, a Samsung NVME M.2 250Gb, WD Blue 500Gb  and 1 TB SSDs, Corsair RMX750, Rainbows and butterflies...

Just now, RyzenDoctor said:

There is no reason to not have built in a vesa bracket into the monitor.

Theoretically, there is merit to the hot swap ability, mostly in the case for speedy replacement should panels get damaged.

That said, they should have included one VESA mount minimum.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

1 minute ago, Drak3 said:

Theoretically, there is merit to the hot swap ability, mostly in the case for speedy replacement should panels get damaged.

That said, they should have included one VESA mount minimum.

Dude my acer screen can hot swap between vesa and the stand with no problems at all. 

AMD Ryzen 3950x under a Noctua D15S, 32 Gb G Skill FlareX 3200 DDR4 running at 3200 CL14, Gigabyte Aorus Pro 570 Wifi, Gigabyte 2070 Super hooked to a Dell U2718Q 4k HDR monitor & an Acer 1440p 144hz IPS panel of some kind, an Inland 1 TB M.2 PCIE 4 main drive, a Samsung NVME M.2 250Gb, WD Blue 500Gb  and 1 TB SSDs, Corsair RMX750, Rainbows and butterflies...

3 minutes ago, RyzenDoctor said:

Dude my acer screen can hot swap between vesa and the stand with no problems at all. 

Then it's technically not built in...

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

On 6/11/2019 at 3:27 PM, Curious Pineapple said:

I'm going to guess the Crapple mount is nothing more than a few screws into the monitor then the standard VESA pattern. £50 most for a milled alumimium bracket supplied with a handfull of screws and 4 threads tapped for the VESA mount. One off price of course.

I think Apple treats it's engineers like they're making one-off products. We have this design and you will make it fit this stand and you cannot deviate from our asthetic vision.

The office I work at has no VESA mounted monitors. The other office, ALL of them are on monitor arms.

It's kinda a hatchet job really. What should be happening is that the "standard" monitor stand should in fact attach to the VESA mount in the first place. The problem with one location is that they attached all these monitor arms with VGA cables, and it's one massive PITA to replace the cables. The office that doesn't have them? Most are using reams of paper, or upside down baskets because the Dell monitors aren't quite at eye level even at maximum height.

Dell's standard monitor stands have no actual screws holding them together, you just insert them into the monitor and it clicks in place, good enough for 19-27" monitors, unlikely to be good enough for anything bigger, because the monitor them becomes too top-heavy. (Which is why you never see TV's mounted this way.)