Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ManosMax13

I and my friend lag on discord.

Posted · Original PosterOP

I and my friend lag when talking on dc.I have a 50mbps connection and he has a 5mbps connection so I was blaming the lag on him.However today he mentioned that he got in a call with some people from the us(we live in europe) and there was no lag at all.What could be the cause of that?

Last time I used Discord, I noticed it was possible to change what servers you're using.

Lets say you are using a server in the US, that means when he calls his buddies in the US the signal travel from him, to the US server, to the US people and back. While if he calls with you, it goes from him, to the US, to you, to the US, to him. A much larger distance, which may introduce a lot more latency.

You could try changing servers, if still possible?

"There's no such thing as perfect. You're beautiful as you are Courage. With all your imperfections you can do anything." - Bathtub Barracuda

"How can someone win if winning means that someone loses" - Scatman John

"64 bits, 32 bits, 16 bits, 8 bits, 4 bits, 2 BITS, 1 BIT, HALF BIT, QUARTER BIT, THE WRIST GAAAAAAME!!!" - Angry Video Game Nerd

Gear:                           .                                                                                                                         .

Spoiler

PC:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 || Motherboard: MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon || RAM: 2x8GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3200Mhz (running at 2933Mhz) || GPU: Gigabyte Auros RX 580 4GB || Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB + Seagate Barracuda 2TB || Cooling: Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3 || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || PSU: Corsair RMx 750W

Peripherals:

Headphones: Beyerdynamic DT-990 250 Ohm || Mouse: Roccat Kiro || Keyboard: Coolermaster Masterkeys Pro S RGB || Mousepad: CM Storm Swift-RX XXL || Graphics tablet: Wacom Intuos Pen Small

Old PC:

CPU: AMD Athlon X2 255 || Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO || RAM: 4x2GB DDR3 || GPU: Nvidia Quadro 512MB || Case: Antec Sonata III || PSU: Antec Earthwatts 500W Bronze

Minibois' Digital Art Thread

Reviews: Coolermaster Masterkeys Pro S RGB || Wacom Intuos Pen Small || Roccat Kiro

Threads: Pokémon Thread || Dutch Talk || Super Smash Bros. Melee Thread

Setup: Current setup

My friend and I* basic English grammar :P

3 minutes ago, ManosMax13 said:

What could be the cause of that?

A video call is much more depended on Latency than raw bandwidth, both of you should use something like speedtest to see your current latency as well before we can start troubleshooting here.

Workstation Rig:
CPU:  Intel Core i9 9900K @4.7ghz  |~| Cooling: Noctua NH-U12P |~|  MOBO: Asus Z390M ROG Maximus XI GENE |~| RAM: 32gb 3200mhz CL16 G.Skill Trident Z RGB |~| GPU: nVidia TITAN V  |~| PSU: Corsair RM850X 80Plus Gold |~| Boot: WD Black M.2 2280 500GB NVMe |~| Storage: 2X4TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Iron Wolf + 2X2TB SSD SanDisk Ultra |~| Case: Cooler Master Case Pro 3 |~| Display: ASUS ROG Swift PG348Q 3440x1440p100hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.
Personal Use Rig:
CPU: Intel Core i7 8700 @4.45ghz |~| Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212X |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z370M D3H mATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: nVidia Founders Edition GTX 1080 Ti |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk SSD Plus G26 480gb |~| Case: Cooler Master Case Pro 3 |~| Display Setup: Acer X34 3440x1440p100hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.
1 minute ago, Minibois said:

Last time I used Discord, I noticed it was possible to change what servers you're using.

Lets say you are using a server in the US, that means when he calls his buddies in the US the signal travel from him, to the US server, to the US people and back. While if he calls with you, it goes from him, to the US, to you, to the US, to him. A much larger distance, which may introduce a lot more latency.

You could try changing servers, if still possible?

Both have set the our servers in the eu and the problem is not even latency.Sometimes he will try to say 'They are coming from the left' and I will hear 'They co the ft'

1 minute ago, ManosMax13 said:

Both have set the our servers in the eu and the problem is not even latency.Sometimes he will try to say 'They are coming from the left' and I will hear 'They co the ft'

May I ask how you think that is not latency? Because to me, what you described sounds exactly like something would happen on a high latency call. It skipping some packets of data because it took too long to arrive.

As suggested above, do a latency test firstly (like the one from speedtest.net).

"There's no such thing as perfect. You're beautiful as you are Courage. With all your imperfections you can do anything." - Bathtub Barracuda

"64 bits, 32 bits, 16 bits, 8 bits, 4 bits, 2 BITS, 1 BIT, HALF BIT, QUARTER BIT, THE WRIST GAAAAAAME!!!" - Angry Video Game Nerd

Gear:                           .                                                                                                                         .

Spoiler

PC:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 || Motherboard: MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon || RAM: 2x8GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3200Mhz (running at 2933Mhz) || GPU: Gigabyte Auros RX 580 4GB || Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB + Seagate Barracuda 2TB || Cooling: Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3 || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || PSU: Corsair RMx 750W

Peripherals:

Headphones: Beyerdynamic DT-990 250 Ohm || Mouse: Roccat Kiro || Keyboard: Coolermaster Masterkeys Pro S RGB || Mousepad: CM Storm Swift-RX XXL || Graphics tablet: Wacom Intuos Pen Small

Old PC:

CPU: AMD Athlon X2 255 || Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO || RAM: 4x2GB DDR3 || GPU: Nvidia Quadro 512MB || Case: Antec Sonata III || PSU: Antec Earthwatts 500W Bronze

Reviews: Coolermaster Masterkeys Pro S RGB || Wacom Intuos Pen Small || Roccat Kiro

1 minute ago, Princess Luna said:

My friend and I* basic English grammar :P

A video call is much more depended on Latency than raw bandwidth, both of you should use something like speedtest to see your current latency as well before we can start troubleshooting here.

I have 20ms ping and he has 17ms also I am not English gimme a pass.

1 minute ago, Minibois said:

May I ask how you think that is not latency? Because to me, what you described sounds exactly like something would happen on a high latency call. It skipping some packets of data because it took too long to arrive.

As suggested above, do a latency test firstly (like the one from speedtest.net).

Did it are the results good?

4 minutes ago, ManosMax13 said:

Did it are the results good?

Those results are pretty decent, but I would suggest - just to test it out and rule it out - changing the server you are connected to, to a different European server.

Spoiler

PC:

Peripherals:

Old PC:

Just now, Minibois said:

Those results are pretty decent, but I would suggest - just to test it out and rule it out - changing the server you are connected to, to a different European server.

Ok I will try western european

3 minutes ago, Minibois said:

Didnt work😟

9 minutes ago, Minibois said:

We are lagging in team speak too😟

Just now, ManosMax13 said:

We are lagging in team speak too😟

It's entirely possible one of your guys' ISP's is throttling VOIP, as ISP's are know to boost the speed and latency of speedtest.net.

I don't really have a suggestion for this situation though. You could try lowering the Discord call quality to see if that fixes anything.

Spoiler

PC:

Peripherals:

Old PC:

how do i do that

Just now, Minibois said:

It's entirely possible one of your guys' ISP's is throttling VOIP, as ISP's are know to boost the speed and latency of speedtest.net.

I don't really have a suggestion for this situation though. You could try lowering the Discord call quality to see if that fixes anything.

12 hours ago, ManosMax13 said:

how do i do that

Press the edit channel icon:

image.png.dd47b7d5a5120013d27f136bf157e3b3.png

And lower the bitrate using the slider there.

Spoiler

PC:

Peripherals:

Old PC:

4 hours ago, Minibois said:

Press the edit channel icon:

image.png.dd47b7d5a5120013d27f136bf157e3b3.png

And lower the bitrate using the slider there.

How can I do that in personal calls and not just servers?