Running without 6-pin from PSU to graphics card

i-ongei

Okay, hi.

So I have a 750ti on my computer and I just got a new 500W PSU (the old one had its fuse blown) but I forgot to get the 6-pin adapter that connects it to the graphics card. I was surprised when a friend of mine said he doesn't even plug in his and just plugs in to the motherboard. 

I'm wondering, can that work for me? If I plug in the PSU without the GPU to the other components will I damage it?

he may have a less power hungry 750ti (some dont need any more power than the pcie lane) But if your card has a six pin plug it in. Also what 500w are you using all 500w to an extent should have a 6pin

Current main PC:

CPU: R7 5800x (PBO undervolted)

GPU: 7900XT

RAM: 32gb Kingston Fury @ 3600mhz

MOBO: Asus ROG B550 F Gaming Wifi

CASE: Xtia Xproto ATX

Server PC:

CPU: Xeon X5690

GPU: R9 Fury X

RAM: Assorted 4gb sticks (24gb total)

MOBO: Asus Sabretooth X58

CASE: Alienware Area 51 ALX

what exact model of the 750ti do you have? Some models don't need the 6-pin because they draw the power (up to 75W) from the PCIe slot. If your cards needs more than 75W you need to connect the 6-pin tho.

If the graphics card has a PCIe plug, it requires it be plugged in. Some cards may be smart enough to not allow the system to boot if you don't have it plugged in. Otherwise the results could range from the card being power limited to overloading the PCIe slot and burning it out.

Wait, you have a 500w psu that doesn't have a native 6pin cable? What damn psu did you get? 

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

2 hours ago, Medicate said:

what exact model of the 750ti do you have? Some models don't need the 6-pin because they draw the power (up to 75W) from the PCIe slot. If your cards needs more than 75W you need to connect the 6-pin tho.

I have the gigabyte 750ti with 2 fans.

2 hours ago, Terabyte_272 said:

he may have a less power hungry 750ti (some dont need any more power than the pcie lane) But if your card has a six pin plug it in. Also what 500w are you using all 500w to an extent should have a 6pin

2 hours ago, FloRolf said:

Wait, you have a 500w psu that doesn't have a native 6pin cable? What damn psu did you get? 

he actually has a 1050ti. It's an old psu that used to be in this but I've probably misplaced it after I've upgraded. This is an old system that no one uses I just dug it up as I'm back home for a while.

Just trying to find out if not plugging it in will cause any damage before I get the 6pin cable. 

If you don't plug it in, one of two things will happen.

Either you power it on and you'll get a BIOS warning beep that the GPU failed to initialise.
Or, it will start but your performance will be seriously nerfed.  Usually to the point that you may as well not have the GPU and use onboard graphics.

Its normally that the system will fail to post.

I ran it and just got a message saying to power down and plug the graphics card.

thanks for the help

6 hours ago, i-ongei said:

Okay, hi.

So I have a 750ti on my computer and I just got a new 500W PSU (the old one had its fuse blown) but I forgot to get the 6-pin adapter that connects it to the graphics card. 

If you bought a new 500W PSU that doesn't even come with a PCIe power connector, you need to turn yourself around and return that piece of shit right now... Whether you need the connector or not.  ANY reputable 500W PSU should have AT LEAST one PCIe connector.  Otherwise, it's probably a fire starter.  Is it even a name brand unit?!?