First time building, looking at AMD?

Hun7erLee

Hey there guys, I’m in the southern US and would like to build a new computer for my home office, something that could be used for casual gaming when I’m home and potentially some light CAD (licensed insurance adjuster). My current HP laptop runs the adjuster program fairly well so I’m not terribly concerned.

i do enjoy games like warframe and space engineers and both currently peg my potato of a laptop at 12fps.

im considering running with AMD, but don’t really know what CPU or motherboard to look at. Space isn’t an issue so ATX is my starting point, and I like the idea of expandability if this becomes a hobby of sorts.

I have no experience overclocking at all but again, I like the idea of it being possible in the future should I chose to jump down that rabbit hole.

after reading through parts of the forum here, and some research elsewhere as well I have some idea of what to look for but the motherboard and CPU have me stumped.

thanks for your thoughts on this

TLDR:

southern US

$1000~ excluding peripherals

AMD? 

Light gaming, dual monitor set up

If you can wait until July 7th(maybe a few days after for reviews) for Ryzen 3000 and RX 5700/RX 5700 XT then you should. Ryzen 3000 should provide significant boosts in single-core speed which leads to better performance in game, and the new RX GPUs should be better price to performance than current cards. Nvidia may also be doing price cuts and other stuff soon(to combat AMD's new RX GPU launch), so you might want to wait for that.

I would go with something like this:

The ryzen 3000 series is coming out in July, but a R5 2600 for 150$ is a killer deal. If it turns out to be not enough down the line you can swap the cpu out for the ryzen 3000 while using the same motherboard.

Pretty much as _d0nut has said, it would be better to wait it out for a month. 

Going from what we already know about Ryzen 3000 and Navi etc, I'd go for a Ryzen 5 3600 and then either a 5700XT or something like an RTX 2070 for a great start into PC gaming. That combination should last you a good few years of playing at 1440p. 

Gaming PC: i5 8600k @ 4.8GHz | 16GB T-Force Delta RGB @ 3200Mhz | Asus Prime Z370-A | Sapphire Radeon VII (Dead :( ), RX480 8GB | EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 | 120GB Sandisk SSD Plus, 120GB Kingston A400 | 4TB Seagate 7200RPM , 1TB WD Blue 7200RPM | Phanteks P400 Windows 10, MacOS Catalina

Second PC: i5 3340s @ 2.8GHz | 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1333MHz | EVGA 750Ti SC | Cheap £7 250GB WD HDD Windows 7

LaptopLate 2009 MacBook (Core 2 Duo, 4GB Ram, 120GB SSD, 9400m, running Mojave) , Late 2013 MacBook Pro Retina (i5, 4GB Ram, 128GB SSD)

Consoles: Xbox One, PS4 Slim, PS3 slim, Xbox 360 fat still going strong after almost 10 years, Original Xbox, PS2, PS1

Phone: Realme 6, Xiaomi Mi A2, Xiaomi Redmi Note 4x, iPhone 6s (jailbroken)

Tablet: iPad Mini 2nd Gen Retina (Jailbroken)

Headphones:  Hifiman HE4xx, Phillips Fidelio X2, Status Audio CB-1,  Fiio E10k DAC, Schiit Magni 3+, Tin T2 IEM's, Astrotec S80

Keyboards:  2x Custom 60% - 1x Gateron Yellow, 1x Box Reds

14 minutes ago, _d0nut said:

If you can wait until July 7th(maybe a few days after for reviews) for Ryzen 3000 and RX 5700/RX 5700 XT then you should. Ryzen 3000 should provide significant boosts in single-core speed which leads to better performance in game, and the new RX GPUs should be better price to performance than current cards. Nvidia may also be doing price cuts and other stuff soon(to combat AMD's new RX GPU launch), so you might want to wait for that.

Agreed !

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

I was considering holding out for the new tech to drop, but I was really only considering doing that for a hopeful price drop on last gen hardware.

im far from the bleeding edge as far as gaming goes, but would like to bake in a few years forward comparability.

would the new 3000 be worth the wait for me? I’m in no rush and certainly could hold off, but honestly I’m not even a slightly competitive player. Things change of course and I don’t want to settle for what’s passable now and kicking myself in a few months time. 

4 hours ago, Sorenson said:

I would go with something like this:

The ryzen 3000 series is coming out in July, but a R5 2600 for 150$ is a killer deal. If it turns out to be not enough down the line you can swap the cpu out for the ryzen 3000 while using the same motherboard.

I really doubt that, its a board with only 4 phase layout, donť think that will be enough for better cpu upgrade. Its only really good for 2600, 2700 not recommended

4 hours ago, Hun7erLee said:

Hey there guys, I’m in the southern US and would like to build a new computer for my home office, something that could be used for casual gaming when I’m home and potentially some light CAD (licensed insurance adjuster). My current HP laptop runs the adjuster program fairly well so I’m not terribly concerned.

i do enjoy games like warframe and space engineers and both currently peg my potato of a laptop at 12fps.

im considering running with AMD, but don’t really know what CPU or motherboard to look at. Space isn’t an issue so ATX is my starting point, and I like the idea of expandability if this becomes a hobby of sorts.

I have no experience overclocking at all but again, I like the idea of it being possible in the future should I chose to jump down that rabbit hole.

after reading through parts of the forum here, and some research elsewhere as well I have some idea of what to look for but the motherboard and CPU have me stumped.

TLDR:

southern US

AMD? 

Id you can wait, just wait man. R3K release is month away, lots of older hardware will be dropping in prices, even gpus.

4 minutes ago, Whalelicker said:

I really doubt that, its a board with only 4 phase layout, donť think that will be enough for better cpu upgrade. Its only really good for 2600, 2700 not recommended

Oh good catch, I thought it was a six phase. He should probably go with a different board than the one I recommend then. 

28 minutes ago, Whalelicker said:

As long as you don't go too crazy on the overclock/voltage it will be ok with a 2700/X. At stock it will have no problem with either. If you check out buildzoid on youtube he did a video on this board. He puts it on par with the Asus X470 Prime Pro.

10 hours ago, lee32uk said:

As long as you don't go too crazy on the overclock/voltage it will be ok with a 2700/X. At stock it will have no problem with either. If you check out buildzoid on youtube he did a video on this board. He puts it on par with the Asus X470 Prime Pro.

Technically it will work ofcourse, but overclocking 2700x on 4 phase mobo is not the best thing, speaking from experience, you want to leave yourself some headroom. I originally had aorus ultra gaming, that was fine for stock 2700x but garbage for anything else, so i swapped it for this exact board but after going for all core OC i had some annoying high temperature issues. Now i have asrocks Taichi (6 phase with doublers) and i have no problem at all running all core OC. You just dont want to run in high temp problems, because then you are fiddling with air flow, or straping small fan to VRM, and who wants to do that. Plus you still have potencionaly higher risk of decreasing its lifespan.

great start pc for CAD maybe like this :

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/YBTvP3

CPU: Intel - Core i9-9900K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($484.99 @ B&H) 
CPU Cooler: RAIJINTEK - AIDOS 48.6 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($21.34 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: Asus - PRIME Z390-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($182.90 @ OutletPC) 
Memory: G.Skill - Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2666 Memory  ($62.98 @ Newegg) 
Storage: ADATA - XPG SX850 128 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($22.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($44.89 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: Asus - Radeon RX 570 8 GB AREZ Expedition Video Card  ($129.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: Cougar - MX330 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($41.98 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: Corsair - TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply  ($74.89 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $1066.95
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-06-12 04:29 EDT-0400

1 hour ago, Whalelicker said:

Technically it will work ofcourse, but overclocking 2700x on 4 phase mobo is not the best thing, speaking from experience, you want to leave yourself some headroom. I originally had aorus ultra gaming, that was fine for stock 2700x but garbage for anything else, so i swapped it for this exact board but after going for all core OC i had some annoying high temperature issues. Now i have asrocks Taichi (6 phase with doublers) and i have no problem at all running all core OC. You just dont want to run in high temp problems, because then you are fiddling with air flow, or straping small fan to VRM, and who wants to do that. Plus you still have potencionaly higher risk of decreasing its lifespan.

Like I said it depends on the overclock. With a 2700X you can just let it do it's own thing anyway so no need to manually overclock. Sure it isn't the best board VRM wise but as long as you are sensible with your expectations it will be fine. Also temps will vary from user to user depending on case, fan setup and room temps etc.  

The op mentions that he isn't in any rush, so waiting until 7th July is the best option to see how things pan out. 

45 minutes ago, ahmad13610 said:

great start pc for CAD maybe like this :

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/YBTvP3

CPU: Intel - Core i9-9900K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($484.99 @ B&H) 
CPU Cooler: RAIJINTEK - AIDOS 48.6 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($21.34 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: Asus - PRIME Z390-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($182.90 @ OutletPC) 
Memory: G.Skill - Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2666 Memory  ($62.98 @ Newegg) 
Storage: ADATA - XPG SX850 128 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($22.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($44.89 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: Asus - Radeon RX 570 8 GB AREZ Expedition Video Card  ($129.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: Cougar - MX330 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($41.98 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: Corsair - TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply  ($74.89 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $1066.95
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-06-12 04:29 EDT-0400

That is just a bad build all round.

5 minutes ago, lee32uk said:

Like I said it depends on the overclock. With a 2700X you can just let it do it's own thing anyway so no need to manually overclock. Sure it isn't the best board VRM wise but as long as you are sensible with your expectations it will be fine. Also temps will vary from user to user depending on case, fan setup and room temps etc.  

The op mentions that he isn't in any rush, so waiting until 7th July is the best option to see how things pan out. 

You are probably right, im just trying to spare him same headache ive been through when i cheaped out on mobo. Since i didnt want to OC. But when you try it once, you cant help youself but keep doin it and then mobo is the bottleneck.

@lee32uk

more bad to you, if suggesting beginner playing overclocking.

cheap price does't mean bad quality as you know.

17 hours ago, Hun7erLee said:

TLDR:

southern US

AMD? 

Wait for new ryzen, then grab yourself a 3600 and some solid b450 mobo with 1660ti.

This is my build

[PCPartPicker Part List](https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Dy8hCb)

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----

Price is around 1000 bucks with that 3600 (200$), if 3600x (250$) is worth it, that remains to be seen

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel - Core i5-9400F 2.9 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($149.89 @ OutletPC) CAD does better with intel CPUs then the current zen+ CPUs, but wait for zen2 if possible.
Motherboard: MSI - B360M BAZOOKA Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($69.99 @ Newegg) 
Memory: GeIL - EVO POTENZA 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($64.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: ADATA - XPG SX6000 Pro 512 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($58.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Seagate - Constellation ES 3 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($48.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: Asus - GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB STRIX GAMING Video Card  ($449.99 @ Newegg) wait for navi if possible.
Case: Cooler Master - MasterBox Q300 MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($44.99 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: Corsair - Vengeance 650 W 80+ Silver Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply  ($44.98 @ Newegg) 
Total: $932.81
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-06-12 05:47 EDT-0400

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

45 minutes ago, ahmad13610 said:

@lee32uk

more bad to you, if suggesting beginner playing overclocking.

cheap price does't mean bad quality as you know.

And more bad to you for suggesting those components.