120GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD

Linux Mint 64-Bit 

Spoiler

REALLY Old (and unusable) Laptop

Intel Pentium M at a whopping 1.93GHz🔥

1x2GB Generic 800MHz DDR2

Nvidia GeForce GO 128 something or other

40GB 5400RPM IDE drive

Linux Mint 32-Bit (I’ve found its snappy on old systems. It works really well with both of my old laptops.)

Spoiler

Mobile Devices:

iPad Air 2 64GB Space Grey [running iPadOS 13.1]

iPhone 11 64GB (Product) Red [iOS 13.1]

ok, maybe I use night theme a little

By that logic what is the point in the 3900x over the 3800x? 

Likely they will overclock to the same frequency. And with the new consols being 8 core, very likely games for the next 6+ years will be coded for 8 cores. 
So what is the point buying a 3900x, 3800x is already a killer? 

its because they can. it also makes the hill intel needs to climb a lot taller. 

its mostly for streamers, people who want the best and hobby workstations. 

1 minute ago, IDKFA said:

Likely they will overclock to the same frequency. And with the new consols being 8 core, very likely games for the next 6+ years will be coded for 8 cores. 

Because they can...

Spoiler

Main Rig: 

AMD Athlon II X4 650 at 3.1GHz [4 cores, 4 threads] 

Foxconn Alvorix RS-880-uATX

MSI Radeon R9 380 Gaming 4G

2x4GB Generic 1600MHz DDR3

Seagate Firecuda 2TB 

Seagate Barracuda 1TB

Corsair CX500 (move along...)

HP Pavilion Case

Windows 10 Home, Pop! OS and Linux Mint 64-Bit

32 Inch Samsung TV 1080P 60Hz

Spoiler

Laptop #1

HP G56

Celeron 900 at 2.2GHz

Intel 4500MHD 

2x2GB Generic 800MHz DDR2

120GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD

Linux Mint 64-Bit 

Spoiler

REALLY Old (and unusable) Laptop

Intel Pentium M at a whopping 1.93GHz🔥

1x2GB Generic 800MHz DDR2

Nvidia GeForce GO 128 something or other

40GB 5400RPM IDE drive

Linux Mint 32-Bit (I’ve found its snappy on old systems. It works really well with both of my old laptops.)

Spoiler

Mobile Devices:

iPad Air 2 64GB Space Grey [running iPadOS 13.1]

iPhone 11 64GB (Product) Red [iOS 13.1]

ok, maybe I use night theme a little

4 minutes ago, Windows95 said:

what's the point? 3900x is already a killer

Someone who would have otherwise needed to get a more expensive threadripper or an even more expensive i9.

2 minutes ago, IDKFA said:

Current consoles also have 8 cores

...is there a question here? 🤔

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

What is scaling and how does it work? Asus PB287Q unboxing! Console alternatives :D Watch Netflix with Kodi on Arch Linux Sharing folders over the internet using SSH Beginner's Guide To LTT (by iamdarkyoshi)

Sauron'stm Product Scores:

Spoiler

Just a list of my personal scores for some products, in no particular order, with brief comments. I just got the idea to do them so they aren't many for now :)

Don't take these as complete reviews or final truths - they are just my personal impressions on products I may or may not have used, summed up in a couple of sentences and a rough score. All scores take into account the unit's price and time of release, heavily so, therefore don't expect absolute performance to be reflected here.

-Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - [8/10]

Spoiler

A durable and reliable machine that is relatively lightweight, has all the hardware it needs to never feel sluggish and has a great IPS matte screen. Downsides are mostly due to its age, most notably the screen resolution of 1366x768 and usb 2.0 ports.

-Apple Macbook (2015) - [Garbage -/10]

Spoiler

From my perspective, this product has no redeeming factors given its price and the competition. It is underpowered, overpriced, impractical due to its single port and is made redundant even by Apple's own iPad pro line.

-OnePlus X - [7/10]

Spoiler

A good phone for the price. It does everything I (and most people) need without being sluggish and has no particularly bad flaws. The lack of recent software updates and relatively barebones feature kit (most notably the lack of 5GHz wifi, biometric sensors and backlight for the capacitive buttons) prevent it from being exceptional.

-Microsoft Surface Book 2 - [Garbage - -/10]

Spoiler

Overpriced and rushed, offers nothing notable compared to the competition, doesn't come with an adequate charger despite the premium price. Worse than the Macbook for not even offering the small plus sides of having macOS. Buy a Razer Blade if you want high performance in a (relatively) light package.

-Intel Core i7 2600/k - [9/10]

Spoiler

Quite possibly Intel's best product launch ever. It had all the bleeding edge features of the time, it came with a very significant performance improvement over its predecessor and it had a soldered heatspreader, allowing for efficient cooling and great overclocking. Even the "locked" version could be overclocked through the multiplier within (quite reasonable) limits.

-Apple iPad Pro - [5/10]

Spoiler

A pretty good product, sunk by its price (plus the extra cost of the physical keyboard and the pencil). Buy it if you don't mind the Apple tax and are looking for a very light office machine with an excellent digitizer. Particularly good for rich students. Bad for cheap tinkerers like myself.

6 minutes ago, Windows95 said:

what's the point? 3900x is already a killer

not everything you do on a computer is gaming you know

4 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Current consoles also have 8 cores

yes. that's not really relevant to my point. I'm looking forwards to the future. I don't see game devs coding for more than 8 cores because of future console specs. 
Ergo I would think there is no point getting the 3900x or 3950x for a "gamer". 

1 minute ago, IDKFA said:

yes. that's not really relevant to my point. I'm looking forwards to the future. I don't see game devs coding for more than 8 cores because of future console specs. 
Ergo I would think there is no point getting the 3900x or 3950x for a "gamer". 

Probably - but you do realize games aren't the only possible use for a computer, right...?

...is there a question here? 🤔

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

What is scaling and how does it work? Asus PB287Q unboxing! Console alternatives :D Watch Netflix with Kodi on Arch Linux Sharing folders over the internet using SSH Beginner's Guide To LTT (by iamdarkyoshi)

Sauron'stm Product Scores:

Spoiler

Just a list of my personal scores for some products, in no particular order, with brief comments. I just got the idea to do them so they aren't many for now :)

Don't take these as complete reviews or final truths - they are just my personal impressions on products I may or may not have used, summed up in a couple of sentences and a rough score. All scores take into account the unit's price and time of release, heavily so, therefore don't expect absolute performance to be reflected here.

-Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - [8/10]

Spoiler

A durable and reliable machine that is relatively lightweight, has all the hardware it needs to never feel sluggish and has a great IPS matte screen. Downsides are mostly due to its age, most notably the screen resolution of 1366x768 and usb 2.0 ports.

-Apple Macbook (2015) - [Garbage -/10]

Spoiler

From my perspective, this product has no redeeming factors given its price and the competition. It is underpowered, overpriced, impractical due to its single port and is made redundant even by Apple's own iPad pro line.

-OnePlus X - [7/10]

Spoiler

A good phone for the price. It does everything I (and most people) need without being sluggish and has no particularly bad flaws. The lack of recent software updates and relatively barebones feature kit (most notably the lack of 5GHz wifi, biometric sensors and backlight for the capacitive buttons) prevent it from being exceptional.

-Microsoft Surface Book 2 - [Garbage - -/10]

Spoiler

Overpriced and rushed, offers nothing notable compared to the competition, doesn't come with an adequate charger despite the premium price. Worse than the Macbook for not even offering the small plus sides of having macOS. Buy a Razer Blade if you want high performance in a (relatively) light package.

-Intel Core i7 2600/k - [9/10]

Spoiler

Quite possibly Intel's best product launch ever. It had all the bleeding edge features of the time, it came with a very significant performance improvement over its predecessor and it had a soldered heatspreader, allowing for efficient cooling and great overclocking. Even the "locked" version could be overclocked through the multiplier within (quite reasonable) limits.

-Apple iPad Pro - [5/10]

Spoiler

A pretty good product, sunk by its price (plus the extra cost of the physical keyboard and the pencil). Buy it if you don't mind the Apple tax and are looking for a very light office machine with an excellent digitizer. Particularly good for rich students. Bad for cheap tinkerers like myself.

I understand your perspective. This was the EXACT same for Threadripper 2000. Why buy the 2970WX when you can buy the 2990WX? I think the whole 3950X being released 2 months later is to mitigate the situation. This forces people itching to upgrade having to buy the 12 core if they don't want to wait another 2 months. If it was the other way around, 3950x in July then 3900X in September then there would be no point to the 12 core. Except for people specifically following a price-point and specifically looking for a 12 core.

Posted · Original PosterOP
14 minutes ago, IDKFA said:

4 more cores for 100 bucks

11 minutes ago, _Syn_ said:

not everything you do on a computer is gaming you know

i do music video editing and animation and i dont see why i should spend 800€ on the cpu

1 minute ago, Windows95 said:

4 more cores for 100 bucks

so you've just answered your own question??!?

Just now, IDKFA said:

so you've just answered your own question??!?

no

i would buy 3950x if it was 599$

Just now, Windows95 said:

i do music video editing and animation and i dont see why i should spend 800€ on the cpu

Then you know exactly in what ways a 16 core would benefit you, maybe you don't need that CPU, doesn't mean no one will

Lol. Im so lost. 

You asked. why get a 16 core when a 12 core exists
I said. by that logic why get a 12 core when an 8 core exists. 

You said.... "Because it has 4 more cores". LOL

You see what you did there? 

4 minutes ago, IDKFA said:

Lol. Im so lost. 

You asked. why get a 16 core when a 12 core exists
I said. by that logic why get a 12 core when an 8 core exists. 

You said.... "Because it has 4 more cores". LOL

You see what you did there? 

because its only 100 more bucks for 4 more cores, its a steal

300 more bucks for another 4 cores, not so much

9 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

then there is the 1950x for you i guess......

low clocks

14 minutes ago, Windows95 said:

Then don't.

Workstation Rig:
CPU:  Intel Core i9 9900K @5.0ghz  |~| Cooling: beQuiet! Dark Rock 4 |~|  MOBO: Asus Z390M ROG Maximus XI GENE |~| RAM: 32gb 3333mhz CL15 G.Skill Trident Z RGB |~| GPU: nVidia TITAN V  |~| PSU: beQuiet! Dark Power Pro 11 80Plus Platinum  |~| Boot: Intel 660p 2TB NVMe |~| Storage: 2X4TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Iron Wolf + 2X2TB SSD SanDisk Ultra |~| Case: Cooler Master Case Pro 3 |~| Display: Acer Predator X34 3440x1440p100hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Personal Use Rig:
CPU: Intel Core i9 9900 @4.75ghz |~| Cooling: beQuiet! Shadow Rock Slim |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z390M Gaming mATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3400mhzCL15 Viper Steel |~| GPU: nVidia Founders Edition RTX 2080 Ti |~| PSU: beQuiet! Straight Power 11 80Plus Gold  |~|  Boot:  Intel 660p 2TB NVMe |~| Storage: 2x2TB SanDisk SSD Ultra 3D |~| Case: Cooler Master Case Pro 3 |~| Display: Viotek GN34CB 3440x1440p100hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

HTPC / "Console of the house":

CPU: Intel Core i7 8700 @4.45ghz |~| Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212X |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z370M D3H mATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: nVidia Founders Edition GTX 1080 Ti |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.
1 minute ago, Windows95 said:

low clocks

4ghz isnt half bad. 

and if you dont need 16 cores, why not buy something else

Just now, GoldenLag said:

4ghz isnt half bad. 

and if you dont need 16 cores, why not buy something else

3900x is a sweet spot between clock speed core count and price

cant beat it

3 minutes ago, Windows95 said:

3900x is a sweet spot between clock speed core count and price