Backup files between computers

IgorM

What's the best way to copy files over the local network between two computers one running Linux and other Windows? Both have smb enabled. I need to set a schedule backup job to copy files to the windows Pc.

create an account on the windows pc for file sharing. Create a share somewhere on the pc, give everyone read access to the share but set the permissions of the folder so that only you and the sharing account can read/write to the folder.

On the linux machine, go to the windows machine's share and when prompted for credentials, use the sharing account.

I ilke trains.

12 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Imo RSYNC, or FreeFileSync which one is better will depend on your exact requirements.

Rsync worked well on Linux but it's kind of a pain to run on Windows. Any suggestions on how to do it? I already have downloaded and installed it via cwin

Via WSL.

These instructions are more intended to be used with a server distribution of Linux so you will have to tweak them or your Linux system to make them work for you.

2 hours ago, Windows7ge said:

Via WSL.

These instructions are more intended to be used with a server distribution of Linux so you will have to tweak them or your Linux system to make them work for you.

Thanks a lot! I'm following it here and installing ubuntu via wsl