which laptop? asus vs asus vs msi

Hello!

in my search for a decent laptop with a decent price (+/- 1000 EUR) i've found the following three options:

ASUS ROG Strix G GL531GT-BQ016T (i7-9750H, gtx 1650, 16GB RAM) 1130,- EUR

ASUS TUF FX505DU-AL085T (Ryzen 7-3750H, gtx 1660ti, 16GB RAM) 1142,- EUR

MSI GF63 9SC-045NL ( i7-9750H, gtx 1650, 8GB RAM) 1120,- EUR

My use for the laptop will be mostly school work like 3D applications, but also some gaming (not my main system, just for some lan etc.). I was wondering which would get your vote. I myself prefer the asus strix version as it is the least "gamery", when you turn off the rgb. however the TUF has the best gpu. I just put MSI in there as it has the same core components as the strix apart from the ram.

I can get these for these priceses because of a discount, that lasts for +/- one more month, will there be any new releases for a simmular price (without discount around 1300 EUR) is the mean time that i should look out for, or is one of these my best bet?

Thanks in advance for your help!

If you have any question feel free to ask!

If you're formally an engineer, avoid responsibility. That's what senior engineers get paid for.

I would recommend the seccod one

(

2 minutes ago, TheThymo said:

ASUS TUF FX505DU-AL085T (Ryzen 7-3750H, gtx 1660ti, 16GB RAM)

)

4 minutes ago, Thomas_nerd said:

I would recommend the seccod one

(

)

could you explain why?

If you're formally an engineer, avoid responsibility. That's what senior engineers get paid for.

When you want to use the Laptop for working when in school, you should maybe look out for something less graphics focused, or otherwise your battery time will be terrible.

Look on Dells Website, they have some good Deals right now because of the new Laptops from Computex being released the next days.

Just now, caspar! said:

When you want to use the Laptop for working when in school, you should maybe look out for something less graphics focused, or otherwise your battery time will be terrible.

Look on Dells Website, they have some good Deals right now because of the new Laptops from Computex being released the next days.

I have looked at their (dutch) website but the deals are terrible compared to what i can get with these three options, also at my school power outlets are not a problem xD

1 minute ago, TheThymo said:

I have looked at their (dutch) website but the deals are terrible compared to what i can get with these three options, also at my school power outlets are not a problem xD

Maybe look at their German Website? I saw some good Deals for XPS and Alienware there yesterday.

Just now, caspar! said:

Maybe look at their German Website? I saw some good Deals for XPS and Alienware there yesterday.

ill have a look, but just looking at specs and use case, which would be more logical, i7/1650 or r7/1660ti?

ill have a look, but just looking at specs and use case, which would be more logical, i7/1650 or r7/1660ti?

that comes down to what you consider to be "3d applications". If you actually do serious CAD or something comparable it comes down to driver support, what is the best cpu and gpu to use.

3 minutes ago, caspar! said:

that comes down to what you consider to be "3d applications". If you actually do serious CAD or something comparable it comes down to driver support, what is the best cpu and gpu to use.

I will do CAD work, but i can barely find any information about support and stuff, the programm I will probably use are autoCAD, sketchup and solidworks

9 minutes ago, caspar! said:

I've looked at the dell site, but there are not really any comparable options as far as I can see, they either have uhd or mx250, which just don't perform as good as i'd like.

9 minutes ago, TheThymo said:

I will do CAD work, but i can barely find any information about support and stuff, the programm I will probably use are autoCAD, sketchup and solidworks

Both autocad and solidworks "certify" graphics cards, so you will get a higher performance boost by using Nvidia Quadro Cards than the hardware would suggest.

You can now either just ignore this and use the already ok performance of a GTX card, or you look out for workstation laptops like the Dell Precision line.

The problem is that you have to make a choice whether you prefer good gaming or good cad performance.

Also Quadro GPU Laptops are probably out of your price range, they only start at about 2 grand euros

Edit: https://www.dell.com/de-de/work/shop/workstations/sc/workstations/precision-laptops

https://www.dell.com/de-de/shop/cty/pdp/spd/alienware-m15-laptop?~ck=mn

if you also wanna game on the laptop, go with the second one.

much stronger gpu. 

3 minutes ago, caspar! said:

Both autocad and solidworks "certify" graphics cards, so you will get a higher performance boost by using Nvidia Quadro Cards than the hardware would suggest.

You can now either just ignore this and use the already ok performance of a GTX card, or you look out for workstation laptops like the Dell Precision line.

The problem is that you have to make a choice whether you prefer good gaming or good cad performance.

Also Quadro GPU Laptops are probably out of your price range, they only start at about 2 grand euros

they do indeed start around that price, so those are not an option. my last question: go for the i7 or the r7 (6c/12t @ 2.6 vs 4c/8t @ 2.3) for my use case?

5 minutes ago, Devryd said:

if you also wanna game on the laptop, go with the second one.

much stronger gpu. 

the problem is that the cpu seems quite a bit less powerfull, and the gpu add a lot to the battery usage

I would go for Intel and Nvidia always when it comes to CAD stuff.

5 minutes ago, caspar! said:

I would go for Intel and Nvidia always when it comes to CAD stuff.

ok, thank you so much!

edit: the strix would then be best?

ok, thank you so much!

edit: the strix would then be best?

From the 3 you posted there, definitely. Also, it seems like a good deal.

7 minutes ago, caspar! said:

From the 3 you posted there, definitely. Also, it seems like a good deal.

indeed it is, i don't know the right term but it's some sort of "employee discount"

indeed it is, i don't know the right term but it's some sort of "employee discount"

Do you mean student discount?

1 minute ago, caspar! said:

Do you mean student discount?

no, i work at the shop that sells it

G531 has no reviews and it's an Asus

FX505 is near mediocre, Asus also

GF63 is mediocre

Any links of online stores? Any preference on weight and battery life?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

5 minutes ago, GeneXiS_X said:

G531 has no reviews and it's an Asus

FX505 is near mediocre, Asus also

GF63 is mediocre

Any links of online stores? Any preference on weight and battery life?

alternate.nl (prices you see there are higher than the prices i can get products for (discount))

not too heavy, not too short of battery life, both should be reasonable

Also, what do you mean with "it's an Asus"? are they bad?

Edit: the GL531 is preorder, shipping in june

not too heavy, not too short of battery life

give a range - max weight in kg/lbs and min battery life in hours

Also, what do you mean with "it's an Asus"? are they bad?

very inconsistent QC and bad warranty support

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

9 minutes ago, GeneXiS_X said:

give a range - max weight in kg/lbs and min battery life in hours

very inconsistent QC and bad warranty support

not more than 4kg, up to 4kg is ok, under 3 prefered.

battery life: like 6 hours without charge

10 minutes ago, TheThymo said:

battery life: like 6 hours without charge

that's quite a lot for gaming laptops, fine with 3-5 hrs?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler