Do I need to upgrade more than GPU?

Aldorn

Gaming Rig. Tons of demanding games coming out next year so I want to upgrade before end of year (likely wait till late December).

Wondering if I need an entire new rig or if I would be best just to upgrade the GPU only? I mean have cpu's, mobo's and ram speeds changed much lately? will my motherboard be fine with the latest cards, ram etc?

I assume i'll need a larger power supply.

Currently system:

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700K

CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H100i GTX 240mm Liquid CPU Cooler

Motherboard: MSI Z170A-Gaming M5

Graphics: MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB

Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 Red

Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G1 Gold 650W 

Monitor: Acer Predator 144htz, 1440p.

Have SSD.

Thank you for the advice in advance.

It depends on how much you want to spend on the GPU. If you are getting a very high end one like an RTX 2080 the 6700K will be a bottleneck. It also depends on the type of games you are playing since some are rely more on the GPU while others rely more on the CPU. Overall, I'd say that you'd be fine unless you for anything above an RTX 2070.

58 minutes ago, Aldorn said:

I assume i'll need a larger power supply.

Not really, you have a good 80+ Gold unit. This is a single GPU system, even with a serious overclock on the 6700K I highly doubt 650W isn't enough.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Heatsink: ID-Cooling Frostflow X GPU: Zotac GTX 1060 Mini 6GB RAM: KLEVV Bolt 3600Mhz (2x8GB) Mobo: ASUS B550-F ROG Strix (Wifi)  Case: Fractal Design Meshify C PSU: Deepcool DQ-M-V2L

On 6/11/2019 at 7:59 PM, IAmAndre said:

It depends on how much you want to spend on the GPU. If you are getting a very high end one like an RTX 2080 the 6700K will be a bottleneck. It also depends on the type of games you are playing since some are rely more on the GPU while others rely more on the CPU. Overall, I'd say that you'd be fine unless you for anything above an RTX 2070.

ok did some research on cpu / gpu bottlenecking. thats certainly not the ideal situation. I might look at a cpu and gpu assuming my motherboard is up to the task. Ideally I will be getting another 3 odd years out of thee system without any major sacrifice to 1440p gaming experience (ie running at a high settings and maintaining decent framee rate).

what do u think of pcpartpicker dot com? is that a trusted source for finding part compatibility?

2 hours ago, Aldorn said:

what do u think of pcpartpicker dot com? is that a trusted source for finding part compatibility?

That what we use here normally to generate those parts lists for suggestions. It will flag incompatibilities, or warnings such as M.2 slot using same bandwidth as a certain SATA port etc.

If you're at  US/Canada/certain European countries, you can even use it for price guidelines as it gathers the best prices from participating vendors (Amazon/newegg etc.).

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Heatsink: ID-Cooling Frostflow X GPU: Zotac GTX 1060 Mini 6GB RAM: KLEVV Bolt 3600Mhz (2x8GB) Mobo: ASUS B550-F ROG Strix (Wifi)  Case: Fractal Design Meshify C PSU: Deepcool DQ-M-V2L