Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
iovey

Window's Defender using 30%+ of my CPU on new update.

Posted · Original PosterOP

I've had Window's Defender disabled since I upgraded to Windows 10, and it's been working fine up until I updated it earlier to try out GamePass. Ever since the update, it takes a good 5 seconds or more from when I click on any given application for it to launch a window, and from watching task manager it appears to be Window's Defender causing the freezes. I've enabled and redisabled it in regedit, I've made sure it's excluded itself, and I've disabled every option in Windows Security. None of it has made any difference. Does anybody have any ideas what might be going on? Is it a known issue with the current build of Windows? (Win10 Pro, Version 1903 Build 18362.145)

Additional note: Seems like it does it the worst on OS applications, File Explorer and Task Manager take much longer to launch than my browser does.

Ended up rolling back to my previous version of Windows and it worked just fine, the Windows Defender process doesn't even show up on here. A bug that makes Windows Defender spike usage to the point of freezing a 6 core processor is bad enough, but having a bug in that same build that makes it impossible to disable is so much worse.