2nd PC build, need some insight

garrettmb

So my old pc that I built for around 700 usd is finally crapping out, constantly crashing and running a steady 20 fps in Diablo 3 regardless of settings and it crashes when playing mostly anything else..

My budget is pref under $1200, going to be using is for gaming, and some video editing (as well as web browsing of course). Currently running 2 somewhat basic monitors.

I put together some things on pc part picker but I want a second opinion to whether all of the parts will work nicely together or not. Thanks :)

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/g8YnbX

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($179.89 @ Amazon) 
CPU Cooler: be quiet! - Pure Rock Slim 35.14 CFM CPU Cooler  ($28.98 @ Amazon) 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5 g Thermal Paste  ($6.20 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: Asus - ROG STRIX X470-F Gaming ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($198.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($102.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Samsung - 860 Evo 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($77.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($59.89 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: MSI - GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB GAMING Z Video Card  ($359.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: Corsair - SPEC-DELTA RGB ATX Mid Tower Case  ($79.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: Corsair - CXM 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply  ($69.89 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $1164.79
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-06-11 00:11 EDT-0400

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700 3.2 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($299.99 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte - B360 HD3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($82.78 @ Amazon) 
Memory: GeIL - SUPER LUCE RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($74.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: HP - EX900 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($57.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Seagate - Constellation ES 3 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($49.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: Asus - GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB DUAL OC Video Card  ($449.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: Corsair - RMx (2018) 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($62.98 @ Newegg) 
Total: $1158.70
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-06-11 00:23 EDT-0400

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

Does the I7-8700 come with a cooler? or would i have to pick one out as well?

Also, does improving the cpu at the cost of the motherboard quality hurt performance at all?

11 minutes ago, garrettmb said:

All Intel non-k desktop processors come with a cooler.

12 minutes ago, garrettmb said:

Also, does improving the cpu at the cost of the motherboard quality hurt performance at all?

Generally speaking, only if you are looking to OC, but generally speaking the MOBO is the first thing to die in a computer, so if you intend to keep it for any meaningful amount of time, (4+ years) I would advise against cheaping out on your MOBO.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

1 minute ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

All Intel non-k desktop processors come with a cooler.

Generally speaking, only if you are looking to OC, but generally speaking the MOBO is the first thing to die in a computer, so if you intend to keep it for any meaningful amount of time, (4+ years) I would advise against cheaping out on your MOBO.

So, what would you recommend for a motherboard upgrade (that isn't too much pricier) from the one in Herman's parts list? Because everything else seems pretty solid.

I changed it to a lower end z370, which should hopefully last longer. And I was wrong, the B360 is not capable of supplying enough power for your CPU and would bottleneck it, (it has even been found to bottleneck the 8400) I apologize for the confusion.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

4 minutes ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

I changed it to a lower end z370, which should hopefully last longer. And I was wrong, the B360 is not capable of supplying enough power for your CPU and would bottleneck it, (it has even been found to bottleneck the 8400) I apologize for the confusion.

Alright cool, that motherboard looks a lot better in my opinion. Any recommendations for a cheap aftermarket cpu cooler?

4 minutes ago, garrettmb said:

Alright cool, that motherboard looks a lot better in my opinion. Any recommendations for a cheap aftermarket cpu cooler?

Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO, glad you like the MOBO! (P.S. if you are willing to spend $13 USD more you can get it in red with 2 fans)

1 hour ago, garrettmb said:

So my old pc that I built for around 700 usd is finally crapping out, constantly crashing and running a steady 20 fps in Diablo 3 regardless of settings and it crashes when playing mostly anything else..

My budget is pref under $1200, going to be using is for gaming, and some video editing (as well as web browsing of course). Currently running 2 somewhat basic monitors.

I put together some things on pc part picker but I want a second opinion to whether all of the parts will work nicely together or not. Thanks :)

Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5 g Thermal Paste  ($6.20 @ OutletPC) 
 Motherboard: Asus - ROG STRIX X470-F Gaming ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($198.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($102.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($59.89 @ OutletPC) 
Power Supply: Corsair - CXM 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply  ($69.89 @ OutletPC) 

If you can wait till July then going for Ryzen 3000 might be a better idea

Waiting for Ryzen 3000 would be good

1 hour ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

Yeah, no. With that logic your pro4 wouldn't handle it either, it has the same one 8-pin eps connector as the B360-HD3.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

1 hour ago, garrettmb said:

So, what would you recommend for a motherboard upgrade (that isn't too much pricier) from the one in Herman's parts list? Because everything else seems pretty solid.

The B360-HD3 is good enough. 

2 hours ago, garrettmb said:

It comes with a cooler, but i'd recommend getting a raijintek aidos to cool it. Forgot to add that in earlier.

2 hours ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO, glad you like the MOBO! (P.S. if you are willing to spend $13 USD more you can get it in red with 2 fans)

212 evo? damn... that has been a while

horrible mounting, less than average cooling... I'd get something else

2 hours ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

one of the worst z370's I've seen...

Just now, LukeSavenije said:

212 evo? damn... that has been a while

horrible mounting, less than average cooling... I'd get something else

not to mention the pricing being way out of whack. it's a $36 cooler that performs like a $20 cooler, not worth it at all.

6 hours ago, garrettmb said:

Alternative:

Look for Vega56

And get an Athlon 200GE until next month and then replace it with a 3600(X)...

5 hours ago, garrettmb said:

Yes, but its crap. It will throttle rather quickly...

Its totally undersized for a higher end CPU...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

15 hours ago, Daniel Z. said:

Waiting for Ryzen 3000 would be good

Do you think the Ryzen 3600 will have better single core performance then the Intel I7-8700?

14 hours ago, Herman Mcpootis said:

The B360-HD3 is good enough. 

It comes with a cooler, but i'd recommend getting a raijintek aidos to cool it. Forgot to add that in earlier.

Yeah, in all honestly the coolermaster seemed sorta garbage for it's price.

Also, since the B360 is pretty cheap, do you think i could squeeze in a slightly better MOBO (for looks and performance :p)?

Yeah, no. With that logic your pro4 wouldn't handle it either, it has the same one 8-pin eps connector as the B360-HD3.

It's not the connector, you would need to go LN2 or something like that on K processor to max out the that 8 pin connector, where the issue lies is with insufficient power capacity of B360 HD3's 7 (or 6+1, the specs don't say) phase power delivery, the pro 4 has 11 (or 10+1) phases and is capable of providing plenty of power to all 8th gen 1151v2 processors, and to my knowledge all 9th gen processors with a lower TDP than the 9700.

14 hours ago, LukeSavenije said:

one of the worst z370's I've seen...

....At least it was a Z370, the OP wanted something close to the price of the HD3, of course an ASUS Prime board or something of that grade would be ideal, but the OP's budget is $1200 USD, so I don't think that it would be a good idea for me to push them that much farther. Also the only other non Mini ITX or Micro ATX board option I could find was the MSI Z370 PC Pro, but as I have had too many issues with MSI products as of late I do not feel comfortable recommending this board to the OP.

not to mention the pricing being way out of whack. it's a $36 cooler that performs like a $20 cooler, not worth it at all.

Sorry, haven't spent that much time lately looking at low end coolers, all I knew was that the last time I looked for one the Hyper 212 was the best deal that I could find, and it is  better than the garbage heatsinks that Intel ships these days.

12 minutes ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

ASUS Prime board or something of that grade would be ideal,

oh, you changed my mind

i rather have a pro4 than a overpriced prime

21 minutes ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

....At least it was a Z370, the OP wanted something close to the price of the HD3, of course an ASUS Prime board or something of that grade would be ideal, but the OP's budget is $1200 USD, so I don't think that it would be a good idea for me to push them that much farther. Also the only other non Mini ITX or Micro ATX board option I could find was the MSI Z370 PC Pro, but as I have had too many issues with MSI products as of late I do not feel comfortable recommending this board to the OP.

i did find some Asus prime Z390 MOBO's for around 20-30 dollars more, and if that Z370 is really not that great then IMO that would be worth an extra 20 bucks.

5 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

oh, you changed my mind

i rather have a pro4 than a overpriced prime

Well the Prime does come with some creature comforts, such as onboard power switch, RGB, and a better heatsink for the MOSFETs, though most of these features would be of no use to the OP.

2 minutes ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

Well the Prime does come with some creature comforts, such as onboard power switch, RGB, and a better heatsink for the MOSFETs, though most of these features would be of no use to the OP.

prime has one of the worst vrms, a horrible, if any heatsink, yet asus sells it at a premium

that's why i kinda hate them

5 minutes ago, garrettmb said:

i did find some Asus prime Z390 MOBO's for around 20-30 dollars more, and if that Z370 is really not that great then IMO that would be worth an extra 20 bucks.

This would probably be a better option, as it has additional (12) power phases, allowing for the load to be spread out amongst more VRMs, meaning that your VRMs will be less susceptible to thermal fatigue. (plus it just looks cooler)

9 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

prime has one of the worst vrms, a horrible, if any heatsink, yet asus sells it at a premium

that's why i kinda hate them

I also found a decent Aorus on sale, if you think that has decent heatsinks and will pair well with my system, not much more expensive https://www.amazon.com/GIGABYTE-Z390-AORUS-PRO-Motherboard/dp/B07HRZKPXM/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=gigabyte+auros&qid=1560292487&s=gateway&sr=8-4