Help me find a new home for my build

mellow37
Go to solution Solved by SpookyCitrus,

I had an NZXT H500i and the airflow was terrible, I switched to the Fractal Design Meshify C and have never seen better thermals it's absolutely wonderful. I have also built in both the Coolermaster H500m and the Corsair Obsidian 500D. My top 3 cases are the Fractal Design Meshify C, Fractal Design Meshify S2, and the CoolerMaster H500P. The Corsair Obsidian is a beautiful case but like the NZXT H series line of cases it is very restricted it looks like it isn't but it is, only has a few slits in between the tempered glass and the frame to supply air to the front fans. The H500M however like it's H500p counterpart has a mostly mesh front panel for air intake and two large intake fans. Personally if you're looking for a high airflow case, anything with a mesh front panel and top mounting rad support is the way to go as mounting the Radiator in the front for intake will greatly restrict thermals. My new check list for cases is a Mesh front panel, two to three intake fans, 240mm+ top rad support and of course a nice tempered glass side panel.

Hey all, I recently built my dream PC but I'm afraid I might have to switch cases. First, here are the specs:

CPU: Intel i9-9900k

CPU cooler: Corsair h115i Pro

GPU: Rog Strix 2080ti

Mobo: Maximus XI Code

Ram: G.Skill Trident Z RGB

Case: NZXT H500

Fans: 2x LL120mm top and rear exhaust, the h115i Pro is the only intake with the fans at the front of it pushing the air through the radiator into the case

As you may already expect thermals aren't great since the NZXT H500 is quite restrictive, even if it is (in my opinion) the most beautiful case in the world. With just Google Chrome with a few YouTube videos open and using HWMonitor it sits around 40C for the CPU (with a High of as much as 50-60 sometimes, some weird rare temp spikes there) and 45C for the GPU (very steady no spikes). I just played Overwatch for 20 minutes at 1080p 240hz and GPU temp was pretty stable at 70C, while CPU temp seemed to be between 50 and 60 when I alt-tab to check it, with MAX showing as 88C for Package in HWMonitor (the max was lower at the beginning and had climbed this much for 20 minutes, but it was never this much when I was checking the live data). I've set the case fans to be based on GPU temps and the AIO fans to be based on the AIO temp, with the AIO pump on "Balanced" as it does not let me set a custom profile for that. Keep in mind my room is super hot so this is also a huge factor in why the case is not doing great with heat.

I was thinking of swapping to a Cooler Master H500M or a Corsair Obsidian 500D SE (even though I already have the Commander Pro). What is stopping me is that they both have a see through fronts with beautiful RGB fans that I don't want to remove, so this means I must put my AIO on the top of the PC (if it even clears the ugly plastic shrouds on my mobo). I'm not sure how bad this will be for the CPU temps, as it will be using recycled GPU air which is already hot. I would love your opinion on these cases, or any other case that is at least decent looking and has excellent cooling compared to my current one.

Thank you!

IMG_1683.thumb.JPEG.d3f11a68bf95166c3867ad199e6a2f53.JPEG

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

I had an NZXT H500i and the airflow was terrible, I switched to the Fractal Design Meshify C and have never seen better thermals it's absolutely wonderful. I have also built in both the Coolermaster H500m and the Corsair Obsidian 500D. My top 3 cases are the Fractal Design Meshify C, Fractal Design Meshify S2, and the CoolerMaster H500P. The Corsair Obsidian is a beautiful case but like the NZXT H series line of cases it is very restricted it looks like it isn't but it is, only has a few slits in between the tempered glass and the frame to supply air to the front fans. The H500M however like it's H500p counterpart has a mostly mesh front panel for air intake and two large intake fans. Personally if you're looking for a high airflow case, anything with a mesh front panel and top mounting rad support is the way to go as mounting the Radiator in the front for intake will greatly restrict thermals. My new check list for cases is a Mesh front panel, two to three intake fans, 240mm+ top rad support and of course a nice tempered glass side panel.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

7 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

The MB511 is a great case but it only supports up to 240mm rads on top, if OP is looking for something that greatly improves thermals and airflow they'll want something that will support their H115i on the top rad support, so they aren't restricting the airflow by mounting it on the front.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

1 minute ago, SpookyCitrus said:

The MB511 is a great case but it only supports up to 240mm rads on top, if OP is looking for something that greatly improves thermals and airflow they'll want something that will support their H115i on the top rad support, so they aren't restricting the airflow by mounting it on the front.

Corsair H115i Pro is a dual rad AIO, it can go on the top of the case.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

17 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

Corsair H115i Pro is a dual rad AIO, it can go on the top of the case.

It's a 280mm rad, the mb511 maxes at 240mm on the top. It supports 2x 140mm fans, but a 280mm rad isn't supported it's slightly too big for the top.

Thank you for the replies @NumLock21 and @SpookyCitrus. The MB511 looks quite nice, but it does indeed not support a top 280 AIO.

When I was planning this build I looked into the Meshify C but it is shorter than NZXT H500 and my GPU would probably not fit after I install the AIO at the front. The CM H500p actually has terrible reviews but I guess you are referring to the updated Mesh version which does have excellent airflow. Between the CM H500, CM H500P Mesh and CM H500M (ordered by price) only the last one is available anywhere in my country and even though it is expensive I am ready to spend that money and keep my parts cool.

On a side note, if I go with the Cooler Master H500M and mount the AIO at the top, should I have the fans under the rad pushing air out, or on top of it pulling it out?

1 hour ago, Togglebg said:

When I was planning this build I looked into the Meshify C but it is shorter than NZXT H500 and my GPU would probably not fit after I install the AIO at the front.

The Meshify S2 will solve those GPU length problems.  Or if you really like RGB I'd look into the Define S2 Vision RGB.  That should still have better thermals than your NZXT case.

Oh, and no need to worry about your AIO, you can always attach the radiator to the rear of the RGB fans.  You'll just have a little less illumination from the inside.

45 minutes ago, Togglebg said:

Thank you for the replies @NumLock21 and @SpookyCitrus. The MB511 looks quite nice, but it does indeed not support a top 280 AIO.

When I was planning this build I looked into the Meshify C but it is shorter than NZXT H500 and my GPU would probably not fit after I install the AIO at the front. The CM H500p actually has terrible reviews but I guess you are referring to the updated Mesh version which does have excellent airflow. Between the CM H500, CM H500P Mesh and CM H500M (ordered by price) only the last one is available anywhere in my country and even though it is expensive I am ready to spend that money and keep my parts cool.

On a side note, if I go with the Cooler Master H500M and mount the AIO at the top, should I have the fans under the rad pushing air out, or on top of it pulling it out?

Mine are on top pulling air through the rad.

11 minutes ago, Captain Chaos said:

The Meshify S2 will solve those GPU length problems. 

Yeah the Meshify S2 is much longer and has support for up to a 360mm rad on top. Also the Mesh front panel is see through enough that RGB fans mounted as intake look cool as hell.

12 hours ago, SpookyCitrus said:

Yeah the Meshify S2 is much longer and has support for up to a 360mm rad on top. Also the Mesh front panel is see through enough that RGB fans mounted as intake look cool as hell.

I second this option. Fractal design Meshify cases are brilliant and very good thermals.

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

15 hours ago, Togglebg said:

It doesnt matter. Most people put the fans pushing air through the rad just for the aesthetics since most fans have LED lights now. Performance wise makes almost no difference. 

To throw in another case, Phanteks Enthoo Pro M TG is a slightly longer Meshify C, and can hold a 280 or 360 rad at the top for $99 USD. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

Thank you all so much for the replies, there is a lot of useful information and great case suggestions and I feel more secure in my choice to swap the case and maybe move the AIO to the top to allow for better intake at the front of the case. I will be able to get a new case next month so all that is left is to check pricing and availability in my area, so far the CM H500M is still my top choice so I hope to get that one at a good price, but some of the other ones also seem to perform well so whatever I go for will definitely be better than my current one :D I will really miss my fish tank case for its looks but I am really looking forward to normal temps.

you might want to consider how good the cable management is in your new case i am going for the phanteks p600s myself has loads of room