Can I run 144Hz from my laptops I/O?

SandalsWarrior

So i bought a Lenovo Legion Y520(i5 with 1050ti version) and I have this 144Hz display. I want to know if I can drive the display(that is, 1080p-144Hz) using the ports that I have on my laptop. These are the ports specified on the site that I bought the laptop from: 

2 x USB 3.0

1 x USB 2.0

1 x HDMI

1 x RJ-45

1 x USB type C

My only hope is the type-c port and use it with a DP adapter but I don't know if the 10Gb/s of the 3.1(which I think is my type-c) can handle 1080p-144Hz.

P.S. If i manually calculate the bandwidth(color depth x resolution x refresh rate) I get around 9Gb/s so in theory it should hold, but I haven't found a single type-c to display port converter/adapter.

If the HDMI on the laptop and monitor are HDMI 1.4, 144Hz 1080p is compatible. I expect HDMI 1.4 to be on the laptop, but the monitor side doesn't always have it.

If the USB type C has a (tiny) Displayport logo next to it (or thunderbolt, but that is not mentioned so that won't be the case) you could get a USB type C - DP cable. Just check if the USB type C - DP cable supports 144Hz.

What a DP logo next to a type C port looks like:

xwhat-does-the-d-shaped-icon-next-to-a-u

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

2 minutes ago, Minibois said:

If the HDMI on the laptop and monitor are HDMI 1.4, 144Hz 1080p is compatible. I expect HDMI 1.4 to be on the laptop, but the monitor side doesn't always have it.

If the USB type C has a (tiny) Displayport logo next to it (or thunderbolt, but that is not mentioned so that won't be the case) you could get a USB type C - DP cable. Just check if the USB type C - DP cable supports 144Hz.

What a DP logo next to a type C port looks like:

xwhat-does-the-d-shaped-icon-next-to-a-u

well, that's the thing, I have no idea what HDMI version my laptop has, as is not listed anywhere on the site or the product box itself. Same for the display. Unfortunately there is no DP logo near the type-C port. Does that mean that I can't use a DP adapter for 1080p 144hz content? 

Just now, SandalsWarrior said:

well, that's the thing, I have no idea what HDMI version my laptop has, as is not listed anywhere on the site or the product box itself.

I am not doubting the HDMI version is 1.4 or even 2.0 to be honest. 

The only way to test this though, is by using a display that would reach the boundaries of this tech. That means you need a TV/monitor that is 4K to see if it is HDMI 1.4, 2.0 or older. If it supports 4K at 60hz: HDMI 2.0. 4K30Hz: HDMI 1.4, no 4K at all: older HDMI even.

You can see the resolution and refresh rate in Nvidia's control panel.

Same for the display. Unfortunately there is no DP logo near the type-C port. Does that mean that I can't use a DP adapter for 1080p 144hz content?

Unless it has the thunderbolt logo:

e5209252f323f9bd5de436b2e601a5cf.jpg

The USB Type C wouldn't support display out.

Unless Lenovo has decided to throw convention out of the window and did include these features, without stating it clearly. Do you perhaps see the USB 3.0 or 2.0 logo next to the USB type C connector?

Spoiler

USB 2.0:

usb-logo.jpg

USB 3.0:

Image result for usb 2.0 logo

If no logos are present.. Again, really the only way to test this stuff is by actually trying it.

Do you perhaps have a computer store locally where you can walk in and possibly test it? They likely have some adapters on hand and some monitors on display so this can all be tested out.

To make a TL;DR out of this:

You can only connect a 144Hz monitor if the HDMI on your laptop is 1.4 or newer (same for the monitor) or if you have USB Type C with Displayport/thunderbolt on your laptop.

I would honestly start with connecting your laptop to the display with a good quality HDMI cable to test this out first.

P.S. the reason I mention all those things that your USB Type C port could be, is because USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 don't output video, meaning all adapter available are active adapters with their own videocards built-in, meaning you don't use the powerful GPU in your laptop.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

thank you for the replies, I think I am going buy a HDMI 1.4 cable and try it out, and if it can't do 144, I'll return it