Rj11 to rj45

Hey guys

So I made a post a few days back and was advised that a VoIP system would give me the best results however the person that I am installing this for doesn’t wish to go that route. 

He he says that’s the current setup is an RJ 11 to rj45. Then to a pass through via cat 5 to a socket and then an RJ45 to RJ11 adaptor to his phone. 

Now ow he is completely IT mute so he might be wrong. Can someone advise if this would work. The connection to the pass through is only used to send voice with a separate connection for broadband. 

Tia 

Not entirely sure I'm entirely getting what you're getting at but you can get a transmitter/receiver (a.k.a ATA) pair that'll allow a PSTN connection over a LAN.

You can not plug a PSTN connection directly into a computer network as it'll fry any NIC connected.

-アパゾ

1 hour ago, DocDave said:

Hey guys

So I made a post a few days back and was advised that a VoIP system would give me the best results however the person that I am installing this for doesn’t wish to go that route. 

He he says that’s the current setup is an RJ 11 to rj45. Then to a pass through via cat 5 to a socket and then an RJ45 to RJ11 adaptor to his phone. 

Now ow he is completely IT mute so he might be wrong. Can someone advise if this would work. The connection to the pass through is only used to send voice with a separate connection for broadband. 

Tia 

A VoIP system does't use RJ11- it's VoIP. The PBX that sit's at the front connects to the internet- that's the point of VoIP phone. Although if you have a analogue phone line you can get an ISDN to iSIP converter so you can use a VoIP phone system without using a internet connection. That sort of defeates the purpose of going full IP...

See my blog for amusing encounters from IT workplace: http://linustechtips.com/main/blog/585-life-of-a-techie/

He doesn't want to go voip so that means it's analog from the street to his phone right? Then yes, you could go from the street to a punch down to a RJ45 jack (most keystones will let you plug a RJ11 in without an adapter) that's terminated with Cat5/e/6 wire and dump out to another RJ45 keystone to a phone. 

2 hours ago, Mikensan said:

He doesn't want to go voip so that means it's analog from the street to his phone right? Then yes, you could go from the street to a punch down to a RJ45 jack (most keystones will let you plug a RJ11 in without an adapter) that's terminated with Cat5/e/6 wire and dump out to another RJ45 keystone to a phone. 

Sorry I am a little lost on your termination, tombstone??  But yes your completely right the guy wants the phone line to come through to the office. With the by master line being in a network cabinet. (See image). 

So so I need to run something from the by master socket to the socket in the cat 5 rack that feeds the line to the office and then from there to a network and phone system. 

If if it was upto me it would done via VoIP but the customer is always something lol

cant thank you all enough 

tia

David. 

759B3B01-AB38-4015-A06A-4CC4DA2EAE8B.jpeg

1 hour ago, DocDave said:

Sorry I am a little lost on your termination, tombstone??  But yes your completely right the guy wants the phone line to come through to the office. With the by master line being in a network cabinet. (See image). 

So so I need to run something from the by master socket to the socket in the cat 5 rack that feeds the line to the office and then from there to a network and phone system. 

If if it was upto me it would done via VoIP but the customer is always something lol

cant thank you all enough 

tia

David. 

Those white things are called tombstones - sometimes they are just couplers  or sometimes you have to terminate them in the back. Either way you can just straight up plug a phone line into it - the actual port shape has an extra notch to accomidate this. Literally just go grab some phone wire and plug it straight in.

So long as both RJ45 ends are wired the same and not some funky cross-over, your phone should work.

One caveat is online I've read that you should be careful removing a RJ11 if you do this - however one of my jobs we had every office fitted with nothing but RJ45 back in say 2004 - trying to future proof for VOIP. So it went analog phone > rj45 > patch panel (rj45) > RJ11 PBX system.

Never had an issue when we flipped a phone jack to data to install a printer etc...

If those use all 4 twisted pairs you can simply connect a RJ11 cable to an RJ45 port.